Paul Rowley on BBC Radio Manchester

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, NickWeaver said:

Interesting interview with Paul Rowley on BBC Radio Sport at Six. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0620gx1

Main Takeaway is that if Toronto are admitted to Super League then they don't want any SKY money they want the lion share of money from American and Chinese TV deals. 

That stance is going to force the SL clubs to evaluate if they want to accept Toronto without giving up any Sky cash, but then forfeit any future North American TV money. So either Toronto is bluffing, or feel they can get that revenue. I have no idea, but defiantly an interesting choice for the SL clubs. If they leave the NA market for Toronto's gain, then they may be kicking themselves later.

7 minutes ago, ojx said:

That stance is going to force the SL clubs to evaluate if they want to accept Toronto without giving up any Sky cash, but then forfeit any future North American TV money. So either Toronto is bluffing, or feel they can get that revenue. I have no idea, but defiantly an interesting choice for the SL clubs. If they leave the NA market for Toronto's gain, then they may be kicking themselves later.

Finally peop[le are starting to listen to what WE have been saying all along...we will take these problems on and make a FORTUNE!!!!!....because what WE have been trying to tell people about the potential over here IS ALL TRUE!!!

Lets put your money where your mouth is!   And we got lots of dough over here in NA.

913c0b6e26038fdd4fd68d26f8640263--this-money-way-to-make-money.jpg

1 hour ago, NickWeaver said:

Interesting interview with Paul Rowley on BBC Radio Sport at Six. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0620gx1

Main Takeaway is that if Toronto are admitted to Super League then they don't want any SKY money they want the lion share of money from American and Chinese TV deals. 

Yep they will get more money from American and Chinese TV deals than they will from Sky and so its make your mind up time for the Super League clubs and the RFL

Give then some Sky money or forfeit money from America and China. No Brainer for me but this is Rugby League where we have no long term plan

31 minutes ago, SL17 said:

They won't get to SL.

Why ?

6 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Why ?

Because they can only beat Rochdale with some dodgy refereeing. As much as it pains me to say it, they are not at SL level by a long way.

4 hours ago, ojx said:

Because they can only beat Rochdale with some dodgy refereeing. As much as it pains me to say it, they are not at SL level by a long way.

Why , when its a team someone has an irrational dislke of, do they only win because of "some dodgy refeereing"

"Dodgy"meaning what?

8 hours ago, NickWeaver said:

They shouldnt get any SKY TV money.Toronto and all the other North American clubs "should they happen" should keep all the TV money they generate from NA,China or anywhere else and use it to better themselves and to push the boundaries of the sport.

We cannot allow a load of town teams in Northwest England and West Yorkshire to stand in the way of any progress over their.

Im already picturing Lenaghan & Davy Divvying up this potential new money

7 hours ago, ojx said:

Dont look to deeply into scorelines like last night.Leigh had a few results like this in 2016 and things worked out well in the end

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

"Dodgy"meaning what?

You've got some bottle or plenty lunacy asking  that!;)

Cue hijacking of thread!

If TWP don't want Sky money they need inviting in on that basis alone!

main-qimg-4626c3d6e3547a80f75cd8d96c37ad5e.png.57a9d8c62581d9e65e1f73c4aead5bae.png

#packiscoming

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, The 4 of Us said:

It all started with the coin toss. 

Yes that aspect has always been biased against my team too! "They never give us nowt!" This quote should really be written in cherry and white for authenticity!

I'm still waiting for the Wigan walk to start at the coin flip!

1 hour ago, jpmc said:

They shouldnt get any SKY TV money.Toronto and all the other North American clubs "should they happen" should keep all the TV money they generate from NA,China or anywhere else and use it to better themselves and to push the boundaries of the sport.

We cannot allow a load of town teams in Northwest England and West Yorkshire to stand in the way of any progress over their.

Im already picturing Lenaghan & Davy Divvying up this potential new money

Spot on JPMC.

We all know that club chairman are:

1. Worried about taking the giant leap that might change the face of the game.  

2. They are worried that their team may not be part of the new RL world

3. They are worried that if they share SKY money with Toronto their share will diminish by around £150k a year

4. They are worried that Toronto might generate much more if Toronto go it alone and generate much more than SL clubs currently get through their own TV deals

So its an interesting conumdrum.

In my world

1. The SL Chairman need to look rationally at what opportunities the potential influx of new clubs might bring and if the pro's outweigh the con's then be bold and go for it

2. If SL Chairmen choose to go for it then develop a model that is accomodating to clubs and not cut clubs adrift i.e. Conference style model

3. If £150k is the difference between SL clubs surviving or not then we must ask the question are clubs holding the game back purely in the interest of self preservation

4. As a sport we do not need to, or ever will rival the NBA, NHL or the NFL but if we make a dent in the sporting market the tv deal could at least rival what SKY provide now.

10 hours ago, ojx said:

You don't give Rochdale enough credit OJX?  I think they are a currently at the lower SL level.

There is only one issue

what do sky want?

twp coming in next year is during their tv deal

i doubt there will be any specific clause to prevent an invited side from being part of that structure for free but sky won’t want to relinquish control of an asset it is paying for and twp having separate potentially wider deals using sky bought and paid for intellectual property rights ie sl teams twp play against in a sky sponsored competition is a much bigger issue for sky

they will want a piece of that pie 

there is of course a further issue 

if twp pull this off they may just have the clout to create a global league and bang goes sl and the nrl as leading comps all the players would get sucked into another potentially bigger yet independent competition down the line 

sl will have no choice but to follow the nrl will ring fence and have another civil war totally missing the point as usual - break out the banjos 

seriously if twp can deliver into 1% of North American and Chinese or Asian households it blows the sl deal out of the water in potential advertising revenue alone and free to air matches to boot

you can bet the groundwork is already being done all sl is a comp to play in 

with that sort of revenue they could establish their own in the end 

there is only one decision - ride the roller coaster or go home 

uncle ken and uncle Ian will see the bigger picture uncle Gary may feel he is lacking control but will see the biggest city team in rl as very well placed 

and I wouldn’t be surprised if the good doctor didn’t show his face again

i sense a potential for regionalised rl outside the top sl teams and he is going for the prized asset outside London’s area and that’s cumbria

i think there are far bigger strategic moves ahead and under consideration than have been discussed to date and rowley may have let the cat out of the bag there.

14 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Yep they will get more money from American and Chinese TV deals than they will from Sky and so its make your mind up time for the Super League clubs and the RFL

Give then some Sky money or forfeit money from America and China. No Brainer for me but this is Rugby League where we have no long term plan

You talk about “Tapping into the most lucrative sports market in the world” as though £100’s of £Millions are there just lying around waiting to be picked up. Now you assure us TWP “will get” more from the Americans and Chinese than SKY give us. Just where do you get these monetary assurances that appear to amount to somewhere around half a £Billion pounds, and why should anyone have any interest at all in a Leigh reserve team, which even if they got into SL and recruited would be no different to another Salford under Koukash.

As for the long term plan that’s an American league with American players as Jason Moore says, and the time to go for it is not now. The difference between Moore and Perez is that Moore talks sense, whilst Perez peddled all this nonsense about massive TV deals, and Chinese and American college athletes making instant converts to Rugby league. Then he disappeared which is why Rowley is left toeing these ludicrous lines.

14 hours ago, ojx said:

That stance (1)is going to force the SL clubs to evaluate if they want to accept Toronto without giving up any Sky cash, but then forfeit any future North American TV money. So either Toronto is bluffing, or feel they can get that revenue. (2) I have no idea, but defiantly an interesting choice for the SL clubs. If they leave the NA market for Toronto's gain, then they may be kicking themselves later.

(1) No it’s not. Not a single Chairman will take any notice until “North American TV” actually put some money on the table with a proposal. (2) You have every idea it’s just the same old Perez nonsense, trying to bluff Superleague, only poor old Rowley is left holding that particular baby.

Rugby Union in North America has of course tried to go professional and attract commercial deals, they formed a Rugby Superleague, then went on to PRO Rugby and are now trying to build a league and commercial partners as the MLR. Oddly enough at no time have broadcasters been falling over themselves to provide hundreds of $Millions of Dollars to these entities, who present North America with an established and very real professional North American Rugby game.

But somehow US Broadcasters apparently want to give M62 RL Multi $$$Million deals.  Give it up you two and come back into the real world.

1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

But somehow US Broadcasters apparently want to give M62 RL Multi $$$Million deals.  Give it up you two and come back into the real world.

The faith you have in RL is awesome, Parky. The belief is so raw, unashamed and untainted it's like seeing the love child of of Phil Gould and Harry Edgar in action.

main-qimg-4626c3d6e3547a80f75cd8d96c37ad5e.png.d5e95f0c8364935cab1a1258e0d2181b.pngCapture.PNG.3423a11e9c2f1cd6c162e7cd299aceb5.PNG

1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

Those comments (I've deleted most so as not to bore people) and people such as Parksider are completely why RL is currently in the dark ages. Attendances and playing figures are dropping at an alarming rate due to fossils such as this blocking progress and development 'as this isn't what we used to do' and 'no. Because it won't work'. Hopefully a fresh breed of RL players, coaches, fans and employees will soon replace the outdated ones and RL can start to grow. 

4 minutes ago, Roryfellinghamwebb said:

Hopefully a fresh breed of RL players, coaches, fans and employees will soon replace the outdated ones and RL can start to grow. 

Now I have to take to task a bit here Rory...... although it's very hard sometimes to tell the difference between a moaning RL fan and a yawn troll people like Parky love RL, have stuck by it through thick and mostly thin and are stalwarts as only true fans can be.

He often deserves the Micky taken out of him (as we all do) but dismissing him as a dinosaur etc is not the way to go.

6 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Spot on JPMC.

We all know that club chairman are:

1. Worried about taking the giant leap that might change the face of the game.  

2. They are worried that their team may not be part of the new RL world

3. They are worried that if they share SKY money with Toronto their share will diminish by around £150k a year

4. They are worried that Toronto might generate much more if Toronto go it alone and generate much more than SL clubs currently get through their own TV deals

I'm sure I for one do not know any of this at all and I suspect you may be guessing.

I would guess that many of the Super League chairmen have much more info on this subject than we do and will be looking at ways of moving forward to their own benefit. Rumours of a proposed 10x10 competition indicate they can see the wood for the tree's. A 20 team competition in essence,  could allow growth and an increase in revenue.

Archived