2021 WC European Qualifying

RLEF just posted this on facebook:

THE ROAD TO THE 2021 RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD CUP BEGINS IN VRCHLABI

The town of Vrchlabi will host the preliminary stage of the European qualifying route to the 2021 Rugby League World Cup in England, when the Czech Republic host Norway on 30th June.

It will be the opening fixture in Euro C which will comprise six nations split north and south. Germany are the other nation in the north group; Greece, Malta and Ukraine in the south. The respective group winners will face an elimination game at a neutral venue for promotion to Euro B and a place in the next stage of World Cup qualification, which will take place in autumn 2019.

Euro B will be played in October 2018 between Russia, Spain and Serbia, with the top two advancing to the 2019 qualification tournament and the bottom nation relegated to Euro C.

RLIF Chief Executive Officer David Collier said: “Integrating competitions with the European World Cup qualifiers provides added meaning to the games, which is one of the international federation’s key objectives.

“The increasing number of member nations vying for a World Cup berth is further evidence of the growth of the sport, while the launch of preliminary qualification comes a year earlier than for the 2017WC, which is another sign that significant tournaments are being strategically positioned in the RLIF calendar.”

Further details of the next stage of European qualifying will be announced shortly, Netherlands and Latvia opted not to enter the process.

European Championship B & C Fixtures

European Championship B: Spain v Russia (Valencia, 6 October); Russia v Serbia (Moscow, 13 October); Serbia v Spain (Belgrade, 20 October)

European Championship C - North: Czech Republic v Norway (Vrchlabi, 16 June); Germany v Czech Republic (Osnabrück, 25 August); Norway v Germany (Porsgrunn, 15 September)

European Championship C - South: Malta v Ukraine (Marsa, 30 June); Ukraine v Greece (Kharkov, 8 September); Greece v Malta (Athens, 15 September)

Which means 9 nations will take part in the first round of qualifiers, up from 7 from last time (Czech Republic, Germany & Norway are added, with Italy now the level above)

rldfsignature.jpg

5 hours ago, langpark said:

I'm guessing Norway and Greece will top their respective groups.  Not sure who will win the playoff between them.

And Russia and Serbia from Group B - Spain eliminated.

I'd expect Ukraine to be stronger than Greece unless they rope in a load of Aussies.

Agree that Spain will likely be relegated

There was recently a change pushed through by Wales regarding domestic numbers at the RLEF meeting.  It was backed by all the Nations. I think the RLEF made the rules a couple of years ago as some Nations used 7 or 8 Heritage players and Serbia for one was unhappy. I stand corrected if my thoughts are wrong.

21 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

There was recently a change pushed through by Wales regarding domestic numbers at the RLEF meeting.  It was backed by all the Nations. I think the RLEF made the rules a couple of years ago as some Nations used 7 or 8 Heritage players and Serbia for one was unhappy. I stand corrected if my thoughts are wrong.

The RLEF increased the number of domestic players from two to four but that’s only for tournaments under the RLEF’s jurisdiction. Whether this is relevant for WC European Qualifying tournaments I’m not sure.

rldfsignature.jpg

58 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'd expect Ukraine to be stronger than Greece unless they rope in a load of Aussies.

Agree that Spain will likely be relegated

Yep, as the others said, 4 heritage players is the limit in Group C.  I agree, if both teams are 100% domestic, Ukraine is stronger, but the 4 Aussies in the Greek team might just tip the scales for them.

50 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Ok, that RLEF announcement seems to have confused a lot of people.  It states that there must be a minimum of 4 DOMESTIC players in each team.  Not heritage, DOMESTIC.  Basically the idea is, next time there is a Group A Euro Championship, to prevent the likes of Ireland and Scotland fielding 100% heritage sides like they've done in the past, or like they still do at the World Cup.

The Scottish situation is terrible and when asked they could not answer though Edinburgh are now playing in the North East league in England, Aberdeen are re organising and will be up and running soon. And I think Strathmore are still playing, and that's it. Real shame as I'm sure players who don't make the grade in RU with the big 2 teams and the new proposed super 6 league would make a great addition to RL if more teams were available, though this comes down to funding, which is NIL

1 hour ago, 2blackrooks said:

The Scottish situation is terrible and when asked they could not answer though Edinburgh are now playing in the North East league in England, Aberdeen are re organising and will be up and running soon. And I think Strathmore are still playing, and that's it. Real shame as I'm sure players who don't make the grade in RU with the big 2 teams and the new proposed super 6 league would make a great addition to RL if more teams were available, though this comes down to funding, which is NIL

Both Edinburgh and Strathmore are to play in NE English league. Didn't realise Aberdeen were reforming, don't know who they'll play other than friendlies................not sure about past clubs like Fife and Easterhouse. I'm surprised nothing has ever developed in the Borders...

There was once a league team in the borders The Border Eagles who won the first Scottish championships. I know personally at lower levels RU players love playing league and would play to gain fitness for the RU season. So the pool of players are there but there is no funding to get things up and running, also the lack of international play is what going to kill RL. Aberdeen defo forming, Edinburgh select played Leeds city college the other day lost 30-26

Archived