Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Harry Stottle

Is the Summer Bash destined to be a flop?

12 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

Isn't the summer bash supposed to be another tool of spreading the word of RL? Yet everyone seems to think the attendance should basically be made up of only those who go and attend weekly championship games. Any sport with good marketing would be promoting the  event using fact that big city teams like London, Toronto, Toulouse will be there but in good old Rugby League the RFL and most fans will be making up excuses that those teams will have no following hence the poor attendance. Dinosaur thinking as always. 

Not really no , the summer bash is an afterthought excuse so the Championships cant complain they arent getting the same as SL 

Magic works , Bash doesnt really ! But not sure what else the RFL can do 

1 hour ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

The magic weekend has been brilliant for the area! It’s also been brilliant for the sport of RL, if you want the sport to improve then actually playing in major cities will help

We have had the three highest attended MW in Newcastle 

And to show how far Thunder have come, in 4 years our averages attendance has went from 200 to 960, not to bad 

We have an academy that is producing quality players and getting results against our super league opponents, we have 150 young players attending development days, we have nearly 40% of the first team squad being local players. There is over 700 local kids playing playing the sport in our area....... all of this paints a decent picture of what Newcastle gives back to the sport!! 

Good to hear. Do you know if Thunder are allowed to email the local people who attend Magic? 

• Like 1

Maybe the Summer Bash works on the level that it gives the players and fans of Championship clubs a day in the Sun. 

Any wider promotion of the game may be some consequential benefit but not a necessity. When you think the CC Final, the biggest event by far over the history of RL in the UK, has done little or nothing for RL development in the huge city of London its hardly fair to expext the SB to have any effect.

In short why not enjoy it for what it is.

Edited by RS
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RS said:

Maybe the Summer Bash works on the level that it gives the players and fans of Championship clubs a day in the Sun. 

Any wider promotion of the game may be some consequential benefit but not a necessity. When you think the CC Final, the biggest event by far over the history of RL in the UK, has done little or nothing for RL development in the huge city of London its hardly fair to expext the SB to have any effect.

In short why not enjoy it for what it is.

I think this is right. 

Sometimes we are so evangelical about our game that we forget to just enjoy what we have in front of us.

I think it is why we are so critical of the on-field product too as we are so insecure about what others think that anything short of a classic is an issue for us.

As you say, lets just enjoy it!

• Like 1

The main thing about that really irritates me about these  RL events and I mean all of them is ticket prices. 

It doesn't pay to book in advance, for an example I booked tickets as soon as they were announced for last Magic and a few months or so later they had a Black Friday sale on 40% off, then a few more sales with % off, then a few weeks before Magic the prices were slashed to about £20 for the weekend when I had payed a bit more than double than that. And the same happens for GF, CC and the rest. It's watering down the product and putting people off buying early when they can just wait and get them cheaper a bit closer to the time. 

I'm really not surprised that early ticket sales of any event don't do well then when the day comes the crowds look decent and it's as you were after all the worrying about advanced sales being down. It's not that hard to figure out 

• Like 2

19511433_1375790279214260_3955754964281790455_n.jpg

With less than 3,000 tickets sold, I would say that the Summer Bash is going to make for painful viewing.

Which is a shame because the Championship is a fantastic competition and deserves better than this outdated gimmick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Gledhill said:

With less than 3,000 tickets sold, I would say that the Summer Bash is going to make for painful viewing.

Which is a shame because the Championship is a fantastic competition and deserves better than this outdated gimmick.

Without the Bulls has seen to that.

4 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

Why is it an "outdated gimmick"? Just calling it one doesn't mean it is one - it's an event for fans of Championship clubs to enjoy. Why read any more into it than that.

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Why is it an "outdated gimmick"? Just calling it one doesn't mean it is one - it's an event for fans of Championship clubs to enjoy. Why read any more into it than that.

It needs freshening up mate.

There were calls for the Magic Weekend to move away from Cardiff after two years.

Playing these events in the same stadiums give the impression of becoming stale and that is what's happend to the Summer Bash IMO.

After four years at the same venue in Blackpool; why not host the weekend at a new venue? 

Why not Newcastle at Kingston Park? 

Now obviously having no Hull KR and Bradford Bulls, who made up 65% of last year's crowd doesn't help, but if the fans were buying into the Summer Bash then more tickets would have been sold.

20 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

There were calls for the Magic Weekend to move away from Cardiff after two years.

Playing these events in the same stadiums give the impression of becoming stale and that is what's happend to the Summer Bash IMO.

After four years at the same venue in Blackpool; why not host the weekend at a new venue? 

Now obviously having no Hull KR and Bradford Bulls, who made up 65% of last year's crowd doesn't help, but if the fans were buying into the Summer Bash then more tickets would have been sold.

Then join championship with SL on a weekend. L1 games before them over two weekends. At the same venue.Simples.

10 hours ago, Michael Gledhill said:

I like the idea of taking over one city that has two grounds for Magic and Summer Bash. A Rugby League Festival.

Newcastle's RU stadium is a lovely little ground and they could stage them across both grounds on the same day. It would cause some logistic issues, and from a TV point of view may not be preferable, but you could expect to see a boost for both crowds, with some fans mixing and matching what they go to. ie. watching your event where your team play, and doing the other day at the other event for variety - as two days in the same ground with pretty much the same format isn't for everyone.

This could work in most big cities as they have access to more than one ground. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I think that's the reason it won't happen...

Exactly both magic and the summer bash are primarily tv products. What is being suggested simply won't work

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I like the idea of taking over one city that has two grounds for Magic and Summer Bash. A Rugby League Festival.

Newcastle's RU stadium is a lovely little ground and they could stage them across both grounds on the same day. It would cause some logistic issues, and from a TV point of view may not be preferable, but you could expect to see a boost for both crowds, with some fans mixing and matching what they go to. ie. watching your event where your team play, and doing the other day at the other event for variety - as two days in the same ground with pretty much the same format isn't for everyone.

This could work in most big cities as they have access to more than one ground. 

If the Summer Bash has a future then I really suspect it will be away from Blackpool.

Newcastle would have been perfect this year with the Magic Night Out between Newcastle and Bradford kick-starting the Rugby League jamboree off on the Friday night. 

Newcastle are confident that they will break their attendance record of 3,033 for the visit of the Bradford Bulls. 

A return to Manchester could be an option with the Regional Arena (hosting the Championship games alongside the Super League games at the Etihad Stadium. 

Other sports can put a stand alone event fixture on at a big stadium and pull in 50,000+ punters. We struggle to get 30k per day when we play six games across a weekend. Now bizarre suggestions that we should lump Championship games alongside SL games to create even more fixtures in one place - yet it still won't fill the stadiums. 12 fixtures over a weekend FFS - nuts.

There is a reason people go to shop in Pound World. That is because the products are piled high and sold cheap. It is also a reason why such shops fail to convey quality. We have no faith in our product whatsoever so we offer add-on after add-on to tempt people to go. In many ways it creates the opposite effect.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Exactly both magic and the summer bash are primarily tv products. What is being suggested simply won't work

You could do it over three days, say a bank holiday weekend to appease the TV schedule, 4 games a day, two from each competition

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Spidey said:

You could do it over three days, say a bank holiday weekend to appease the TV schedule, 4 games a day, two from each competition

What would be the benefit? 

Just now, scotchy1 said:

What would be the benefit? 

If planned well would get more punters through the doors than the current set up of two events. One weekend away may be more attractive to the event going supporters that two. 

Also being at one venue I expect the costs would be lower, then it would be more profitable, costs for TV coverage would also be lower so may get their buy in

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

If planned well would get more punters through the doors than the current set up of two events. One weekend away may be more attractive to the event going supporters that two. 

Also being at one venue I expect the costs would be lower, then it would be more profitable, costs for TV coverage would also be lower so may get their buy in

Would it though Spidey? It appears few do the whole weekend these days. The Saturday crowd comes and, in large parts, sods off home after the game. Some don't even stay to the end of their own game lol.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Other sports can put a stand alone event fixture on at a big stadium and pull in 50,000+ punters. We struggle to get 30k per day when we play six games across a weekend. Now bizarre suggestions that we should lump Championship games alongside SL games to create even more fixtures in one place - yet it still won't fill the stadiums. 12 fixtures over a weekend FFS - nuts.

There is a reason people go to shop in Pound World. That is because the products are piled high and sold cheap. It is also a reason why such shops fail to convey quality. We have no faith in our product whatsoever so we offer add-on after add-on to tempt people to go. In many ways it creates the opposite effect.

I largely agree with you bit I'm not sure I would level that criticism at the magic weekend. Sure attendances could and should be higher but the purpose is serves is as a tv product and an event for the fans. It does that job ok and out focus is a bit less on attendances for that. I think it' always going to struggle to get towards a sell out simply because of its nature.

Just now, Scubby said:

Would it though Spidey? It appears few do the whole weekend these days. The Saturday crowd comes and, in large parts, sods off home after the game. Some don't even stay to the end of their own game lol.

If planned well - it needs the right fixtures in the right order to get people to stay. 

Is transport the issue for people going early? Not staying.

Manchester seemed a lot better for transport links for all teams. Always found there were bigger crowds for longer there?

I don’t know if this is the way to go, but it’s an option. We’ll have to wait and see how this years events go, and if the structure changes (if any) dictate what happens with Magic

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It would be interesting to understand how many weekend tickets are sold versus day tickets, but I suspect the number of two-dayers is more than you would think.

That isn't evidence based though, purely that whenever I go, it isn't just the fans from the 6 teams playing that are there. 

Also, the hotels being packed and bloody expensive suggests that a fair few are happy to make a weekend of it.

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

There is 3k sold for the summer bash. Some of those will go to both anyway as neutrals. I just think it would end up with diluted magic weekend carrying a summer bash that doesn't really work.

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Bit of a mixed message there. These cheap places are bucking the trend in many places and doing very well for themselves.

I'm not sure why the suggestion is bizarre - ever tried going to a festival, they have loads of different events all over the place to cater for a wider range of people.