Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saint 1

Nottingham Outlaws Secure Permanent Home

6 minutes ago, redjonn said:

well he may be being sarcastic about people that whinge about fans living near M62...

I thought it was funny....

But the Outlaws ... how good are they?

And thank you would you sit in the audience?:D

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

I thoroughly support the big time expansion in places like Toronto, and really hope the game expands its footprint in all kinds of places. However I can't help thinking that this is what it's really all about. I watched Nottingham in the Yorkshire Men's League last season playing at Doncaster Toll Bar, they're a proper RL team and now they've got a proper base to build from. Long term sustainable expansion of the game, great news!!

• Like 8

Thats the ground thats next to Sat Bains isn't it?

If so, thats a cracking little bit of land.

• Like 2

Rob Terrace - Matchday Photographer / Highlights Editor, Doncaster RLFC. Freelance RL Photographer.

http://www.donsstats.co.uk - Full results and player stats for Doncaster RLFC from 1951 to the current day.

r82photography.photoshelter.com

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Laugh away then John.

Chuckle...

on a serious note, good to see a positive story and hope Outlaws build upon this success.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:37 PM, Saint 1 said:

If anyone wants to donate and help us turn Lenton Lane into a venue that both Nottingham Outlaws and rugby league can be proud of, you can do so here - http://www.nottinghamrl.co.uk/project-30/ 

I just tried to donate via the PayPal button,but it wasn't responsive. Maybe someone could take a look and re-activate it?

Also,rummaging around Google I found this ariel photo of the site and pitch,which might be interesting to curious people like myself :

https://www.footballgroundmap.com/ground/lenton-lane/greenwood-meadows

Edit in : Location looks well off the beaten track...will probably need some enhanced security!

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 22.08.51.png

Edited by Pigeon Lofter
Google streetview screenshot added.
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

I just tried to donate via the PayPal button,but it wasn't responsive. Maybe someone could take a look and re-activate it?

Also,rummaging around Google I found this ariel photo of the site and pitch,which might be interesting to curious people like myself :

https://www.footballgroundmap.com/ground/lenton-lane/greenwood-meadows

Edit in : Location looks well off the beaten track...will probably need some enhanced security!

Someone is on the case r.e. Paypal now, I'll let you know when it has been sorted! 

Location isn't too much off the beaten track, not as much as it looks anyway. There's a two star Michelin Star restaurant on that road, and then about 4 other sports venues too so there's usually people in that general area at least. 

On 3/29/2018 at 10:14 PM, henage said:

Great news , was the football club struggling or moved on to another area . 

Facilities like this are thin on the ground around the Hull area . Good luck 

Football club was struggling, goes to show it isn't just RL where clubs are doing it tough.

Thanks to everyone for your well-wishes, it's a very exciting time for the club! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Someone is on the case r.e. Paypal now, I'll let you know when it has been sorted! 

Location isn't too much off the beaten track, not as much as it looks anyway. There's a two star Michelin Star restaurant on that road, and then about 4 other sports venues too so there's usually people in that general area at least. 

Football club was struggling, goes to show it isn't just RL where clubs are doing it tough.

Thanks to everyone for your well-wishes, it's a very exciting time for the club! 

Do you plan to develop the stadium? 

Thank you for all the encouraging words everyone, I can confirm that everyone at the club  is absolutely delighted to finally get a secure home for the club.

I started playing rugby league in Nottingham in 1987 with what was then Nottingham Crusaders and in subsequent years we must have played at more than 20 different venues across the city and outside the city in that time! We have always been at our landlords mercy but not any more!

We realised as a club that we would never reach our potential without a place to call our own so in 2014 (30th anniversary of rugby league in Nottingham) we launched Project 30 in a bid to start raising money for our own home.

it took us over 4 years and countless hours of searching, looking at sites, hitting brick wall after brick wall until we finally got lucky with the Lenton Lane site. Even then it has taken us from June of last year until this week to get the lease and asset transfer sorted!

in terms of what we bought, I think Saint 1 listed most of them although he missed the ride on mower. Lots of offers already from people who want to drive it!

we did pay a significant sum for these assets, more than they are physically worth but the opportunity to obtain the site was so great that we didn't risk the haggle and grabbed it before any other club could beat us to it!

our plan now is to first get in and get it playable and fit to host games. The clubhouse is a mess and the posts are yet to be concreted in. However we will do it despite the hard work needed and hope to be playing on it soon

Longer term we are already drawing up plans to build a touch line club house and spectator area. So fundraising will start again tomorrow!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, RichardJ said:

Thank you for all the encouraging words everyone, I can confirm that everyone at the club  is absolutely delighted to finally get a secure home for the club.

I started playing rugby league in Nottingham in 1987 with what was then Nottingham Crusaders and in subsequent years we must have played at more than 20 different venues across the city and outside the city in that time! We have always been at our landlords mercy but not any more!

We realised as a club that we would never reach our potential without a place to call our own so in 2014 (30th anniversary of rugby league in Nottingham) we launched Project 30 in a bid to start raising money for our own home.

it took us over 4 years and countless hours of searching, looking at sites, hitting brick wall after brick wall until we finally got lucky with the Lenton Lane site. Even then it has taken us from June of last year until this week to get the lease and asset transfer sorted!

in terms of what we bought, I think Saint 1 listed most of them although he missed the ride on mower. Lots of offers already from people who want to drive it!

we did pay a significant sum for these assets, more than they are physically worth but the opportunity to obtain the site was so great that we didn't risk the haggle and grabbed it before any other club could beat us to it!

our plan now is to first get in and get it playable and fit to host games. The clubhouse is a mess and the posts are yet to be concreted in. However we will do it despite the hard work needed and hope to be playing on it soon

Longer term we are already drawing up plans to build a touch line club house and spectator area. So fundraising will start again tomorrow!

Congratulations on finally achieving your goal. This is one of the areas where union has always been streets ahead of league. I just wish some of the Hull amateur clubs had the opportunity and foresight to do something similar. 

• Like 3

rldfsignature.jpg

47 minutes ago, RichardJ said:

Congrats Richard. A RL club is always more prosperous and secure when it has destiny in its own hands, owns it's own ground and can create revenues from having their own bar and club shop. 

Fully age TD.

One of our main goals will be to get as much activity on the site as possible, we will move our juniors onto the site shortly and will have the women playing there too.

We are also hoping the ground will be used on occasions by both universities which are only a mile or so from the ground.

The story behind the demise football club makes interesting reading. They were flying high in the Midlands league but a couple of players were sent off for abusive behaviour and received fines from the disciplinary

The  manager wanted the club to pay their fines of the players whist the chairman refused. The manager then left taking half the team with him. The FA would not let Greenwood sign any players to make up a team (the signing deadline had passed) so they were fined something like £250 a match for the rest of the season, racking up several thousand pounds in total

They were subsequently relegated to the local leagues but the FA would not them play until the fines were paid so the chairman decided to close the club down!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RichardJ said:

Fully age TD.

One of our main goals will be to get as much activity on the site as possible, we will move our juniors onto the site shortly and will have the women playing there too.

We are also hoping the ground will be used on occasions by both universities which are only a mile or so from the ground.

The story behind the demise football club makes interesting reading. They were flying high in the Midlands league but a couple of players were sent off for abusive behaviour and received fines from the disciplinary

The  manager wanted the club to pay their fines of the players whist the chairman refused. The manager then left taking half the team with him. The FA would not let Greenwood sign any players to make up a team (the signing deadline had passed) so they were fined something like £250 a match for the rest of the season, racking up several thousand pounds in total

They were subsequently relegated to the local leagues but the FA would not them play until the fines were paid so the chairman decided to close the club down!

It's an ill wind!

Great work Rich.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

It does amaze me how we can have amateur clubs achieving things like this yet still have professional teams homeless decades after selling their grounds

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, RichardJ said:

Fully age TD.

Thanks Richard, I asked that question about the football club on the community forum, interesting stuff. Sounds like you got very lucky with being able to obtain the site. Do you think a football club might re-grow from there or are you planning for it to be a solely RL facility? Not sure how many pitches you have?

What will you do with the other clubhouse when you build the new one? Or is it not fit for purpose and needs demolishing? 

Please do post the link to the fundraising, always happy to contribute to these sort of things

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

It does amaze me how we can have amateur clubs achieving things like this yet still have professional teams homeless decades after selling their grounds

Probably down to amateur clubs not paying anyone but professional clubs need to pay the players and coach as a minimum. I know they get grants (for want of a better word) but that obviously doesn’t cover the necessities or only just does, especially at the lower end of the game.

rldfsignature.jpg

On 3/30/2018 at 10:04 PM, Pigeon Lofter said:

The PayPal link here has been re-activated for anyone interested in donating to help us improve Lenton Lane.

http://www.nottinghamrl.co.uk/project-30/

On 4/1/2018 at 10:36 AM, DoubleD said:

Thanks Richard, I asked that question about the football club on the community forum, interesting stuff. Sounds like you got very lucky with being able to obtain the site. Do you think a football club might re-grow from there or are you planning for it to be a solely RL facility? Not sure how many pitches you have?

What will you do with the other clubhouse when you build the new one? Or is it not fit for purpose and needs demolishing? 

Please do post the link to the fundraising, always happy to contribute to these sort of things

We only have 1 pitch, with a bit of a training area too. One potential option is for Nottingham Trent RL to play matches there. As I said, we have close links with both universities, and Nottingham Trent have a bit of a pitch shortage. Not only would this keep the ground in use year-round, but it would also create greater familiarity for Trent players with the Outlaws set up. 

Some of the players have had the idea of using the existing clubhouse as a gym or wrestling room long-term, which is one potential option! 

Unfortunately we won't be able to play Saturday's game at home as the ground won't be ready in time - I'll post more details when I have details of the big opening of Lenton Lane! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Our first game has been penciled in as Outlaws vs East Hull on Saturday 28th April. Facebook event is here for anyone interested in attending - https://www.facebook.com/events/1974969685908410/

It would be great to see as many people down as possible for what promises to be a historic day for the club and rugby league in Nottingham.

Edited by Saint 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

"After the match, we will christen the clubhouse bar, The Third Man Inn." :laugh:

Great name for a RL clubhouse. Who do you have to open it, Ryan Bailey?

It is a great name, unfortunately I can't claim credit for it! Another suggestion was The Swinging Arms, but that sounds slightly seedy... 

Everything set for the big day on Saturday. Posts are up and there are a full series of events starting with gates open late morning.

Read all about it here http://www.nottinghamrl.co.uk/2018/04/25/outlaws-ready-for-historic-fixture/ 

• 11.00am: gates open
  • 11.15am: Outlaws bar “The Third Man Inn” opens for business
  • 11.30am: touch rugby starts (open to all, finishes 12.30pm)
  • 12.00pm: Afternoon tea and cakes served in the club house
  • 12.30pm: Opening of cask ales provided by Lenton Lane Brewery
  • 1.00pm:  launch of 2018 range of Outlaws merchandise
  • 2.00pm: Entrance of Little John Beer Barrow
  • 2.30pm: Nottingham Outlaws v East Hull
  • 4.30pm: Man of the match awards
  • 5.00pm: Food available for supporters
  • 6.00pm: Happy Hour
  • 6.30pm: Bubbly served (toast the new club house)
  • 7.00pm: Whisky galore
  • 7.30pm: Bingo
  • 8.00pm til late: Drinks and carriages

Lenton_Lane_Posts_2.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, RichardJ said:

Everything set for the big day on Saturday. Posts are up and there are a full series of events starting with gates open late morning.

Read all about it here http://www.nottinghamrl.co.uk/2018/04/25/outlaws-ready-for-historic-fixture/ 

• 11.00am: gates open
  • 11.15am: Outlaws bar “The Third Man Inn” opens for business
  • 11.30am: touch rugby starts (open to all, finishes 12.30pm)
  • 12.00pm: Afternoon tea and cakes served in the club house
  • 12.30pm: Opening of cask ales provided by Lenton Lane Brewery
  • 1.00pm:  launch of 2018 range of Outlaws merchandise
  • 2.00pm: Entrance of Little John Beer Barrow
  • 2.30pm: Nottingham Outlaws v East Hull
  • 4.30pm: Man of the match awards
  • 5.00pm: Food available for supporters
  • 6.00pm: Happy Hour
  • 6.30pm: Bubbly served (toast the new club house)
  • 7.00pm: Whisky galore
  • 7.30pm: Bingo
  • 8.00pm til late: Drinks and carriages

Lenton_Lane_Posts_2.jpg

Perfect example of what a club can do when they own ground they play at. 

• Like 2

Great news guys and the best of luck, I remember heading down to the Harvey Hadden stadium many moons ago to watch the Dons v Notts City RLFC. Its been some journey from Mansfield Marksman to Notts city now the Outlaws. Good luck guys