• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, thirteenthman said:

Is that capacity?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Nope. There was a 15k crowd the other year for the same fixture, when both teams had good starts to the season

2 minutes ago, thirteenthman said:

As Spidey has just replied, the same match in 2016 got 15,008:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/35874228

Thanks, thought it would be quicker to ask rather than dig, that game really needs to build itself up more. Don't know how, but it should be a marquee fixture. 

Wigan v Saints isn't always a GF sell out and I find that frustrating.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

Thanks, thought it would be quicker to ask rather than dig, that game really needs to build itself up more. Don't know how, but it should be a marquee fixture. 

The apathy from Widnes fans at the minute is certainly a factor. You only have to look at last week with only 4K turning up for a home fixture

Warrington’s struggles last year has put a strain on the crowds. 

Both teams need to improve the product on the field considerably to get those gains on the terraces. 

Warrington look to be turning to the corner. Widnes still in a bit of a rut

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The apathy from Widnes fans at the minute is certainly a factor. You only have to look at last week with only 4K turning up for a home fixture

Both teams need to improve the product on the field considerably to get those gains on the terraces. 

This is where turning it into an occasion rather than a match comes, RU have this off to a fine art, we are too insistent on it all being about the game.

We need to break this mould.

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

This is where turning it into an occasion rather than a match comes, RU have this off to a fine art, we are too insistent on it all being about the game.

We need to break this mould.

Yep. Warrington did have stuff on I’m told like Bands in the Concourse. How much this was advertised I’m not sure. 

Widnes for instance have pushed the Easter Monday fixture against Saints. The other year we had a ticket offer that got 9k in for that, this year no offer but a pre match dinner with Paul Sculthorpe & Mark Smith, in conjunction with a Car dealership. I doubt 9k will be there but it will be the highest attendance of the season

Things are being done but not sure if enough or whether the punters are buying into them

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yep. Warrington did have stuff on I’m told like Bands in the Concourse. How much this was advertised I’m not sure. 

Widnes for instance have pushed the Easter Monday fixture against Saints. The other year we had a ticket offer that got 9k in for that, this year no offer but a pre match dinner with Paul Sculthorpe & Mark Smith, in conjunction with a Car dealership. I doubt 9k will be there but it will be the highest attendance of the season

Things are being done but not sure if enough or whether the punters are buying into them

That is just trying to entertain the current punters, its all half hearted and half baked. Wigan do it, it is just entertaining the regulars and makes no difference.

We need people who can think outside of the box, and pay the rate for those who can.

13 minutes ago, Padge said:

That is just trying to entertain the current punters, its all half hearted and half baked. Wigan do it, it is just entertaining the regulars and makes no difference.

We need people who can think outside of the box, and pay the rate for those who can.

You’re quite right. It’d be a start for one of those people to be at RFL then to recruit 12 more

53 minutes ago, Padge said:

It's not fair to compare it to the year it was 1st vs 2nd. That was unprecedented for this fixture. I'd go as far as saying this years is probably better than usual. It's certainly been 10 something before at Wire. 

53 minutes ago, Spidey said:

To Widnes fans our current plight is very concerning and we're probably in the worst position since the advent of SL. We always had the prospect that crowds would return if we got to SL but now we're here and losing 500 a year. 

There is a vicious cycle between the club and the fans. The club are trying to run a tight ship and bring through the youth which is all very admirable, but it isn't exciting. Year on year they give fans no reason to be excited for the new season and then use the lack of ST sales as an excuse for the lack of signing anyone decent.

Theres only so much you can blame the fans when we've been tipped to finish bottom 3 years in a row and I'm not even sure before that. The most concerning thing is that I'm not sure fans would return if fortunes improved. Once people get out of the habit of attending it's not easy to get them back as Salford have demonstrated. 

It's even harder to imagine where new fans would come from. 

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It's not fair to compare it to the year it was 1st vs 2nd. That was unprecedented for this fixture. I'd go as far as saying this years is probably better than usual. It's certainly been 10 something before at Wire. 

We are stuck in mold of our own making, a gritty northern sport for Northern working class people.

We have to break that mold, how you do that is beyond me, I would be a high payed marketing executive if I had the answer,.

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Yes. Padge's point is a good one, but actually 12k+ for this fixture is pretty good.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

We are stuck in mold of our own making, a gritty northern sport for Northern working class people.

We have to break that mold, how you do that is beyond me, I would be a high payed marketing executive if I had the answer,.

A partial answer is Toronto, London and Toulouse.

But some don't like it.

Toulouse will not help to grow rugbyleague in England at all.All it will lead to is another jolly nice weekend away for the current fans of sl clubs.

If you think by playing with English clubs Toulouse can help grow the sport in that part of France then fair enough.

English cities and North America are the answer to growing the sport in England.

46 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

A partial answer is Toronto, London and Toulouse.

But some don't like it.

Maybe the answer would have been Canadian sides joining up with French teams in the French League? It seems Toronto fans don't care who they play or at what level for now, and surely NA clubs entering France would have promoted the game there, with true growth outside of the Super League? In a few years time, aim for a Transatlantic Champions League, meaning at least every country has the chance of a home nation club winning their domestic league / cup.

I genuinely feel the greater aim by Perez is a full takeover of the SL into a North American dominated league, it's a ready made template where teams can easily be swapped, using Northern England (& Australia) for players. If I'm right, is that growth, if the M62 region ultimately withers on a team level? Surely that's just displacement?

I know most on here will wanted me burned at the stake for speaking like this, but it concerns me.

11 hours ago, Padge said:

Agree, though you'd be a highly paid Marketing Director agreeing at board level the objective and strategy and metrics,  with Marketing Execs charged with implementing your directions tactically, with them suffering the consequences of failure. We've got all that already,........???

14 hours ago, Padge said:

I agree.  If the event is some extras added to the match, it feels like gimicks because it is.

Ideally, the event comes first and the match is part of that wider event.  To the extent that it should make many rugby league fans feel like the match is being sidelined.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived