Easter games

Hawkwindbag

So two home games, two defeats ...

Still looking for explanations as to what on earth happened against Keighley, 12-0 up and cruising after fifteen minutes, suddenly they got a try against the run of play and you could almost see the confidence switch from the team on the right over to the team on the left. In a league where away wins amongst the top 8/9 clubs are worth their weight in gold,  two points were carelessly gifted to one of our rivals. As the week before, attitude and leadership in the middle of the field needed some serious questioning.

The Bradford game I quite enjoyed in an 'old-fashioned' sort of way, despite entirely different conditions and much weaker line-ups the game ran very similar to the one at Odsal a fortnight ago. It was heartening to see us controlling the game for long periods, especially in the second and third quarter, undoubtedly the killer moment was dropping it from the kick off at 10-14, next time we saw the ball they had posted two tries and a penalty, 10-28 and game over. Mixed bag from the three players making their debuts in admittedly difficult conditions, Gill on one wing looked nervous and short on confidence, Walker on the other wing did OK with limited opportunites but new hooker Halmshaw I thought showed lots of promise, nippy and industrious, scoring one try and having another perfectly good one chalked off.

So on to another tricky match at Oldham on Sunday, I'm sure the team will be very different again to what we've seen over Easter but we need to find a way to win against the 'traditional' teams, otherwise the season will run along very similar lines to last ...

2 hours ago, Hawkwindbag said:

So two home games, two defeats ...

Still looking for explanations as to what on earth happened against Keighley, 12-0 up and cruising after fifteen minutes, suddenly they got a try against the run of play and you could almost see the confidence switch from the team on the right over to the team on the left. In a league where away wins amongst the top 8/9 clubs are worth their weight in gold,  two points were carelessly gifted to one of our rivals. As the week before, attitude and leadership in the middle of the field needed some serious questioning.

The Bradford game I quite enjoyed in an 'old-fashioned' sort of way, despite entirely different conditions and much weaker line-ups the game ran very similar to the one at Odsal a fortnight ago. It was heartening to see us controlling the game for long periods, especially in the second and third quarter, undoubtedly the killer moment was dropping it from the kick off at 10-14, next time we saw the ball they had posted two tries and a penalty, 10-28 and game over. Mixed bag from the three players making their debuts in admittedly difficult conditions, Gill on one wing looked nervous and short on confidence, Walker on the other wing did OK with limited opportunites but new hooker Halmshaw I thought showed lots of promise, nippy and industrious, scoring one try and having another perfectly good one chalked off.

So on to another tricky match at Oldham on Sunday, I'm sure the team will be very different again to what we've seen over Easter but we need to find a way to win against the 'traditional' teams, otherwise the season will run along very similar lines to last ...

excellent report again and couldn't agree more. Hope gill improves cos he looked terrible . Halmshaw very good but heard a rumour we are in for penky which would be great.Oldham on that pitch will be another game we will be underdogs.

After our game on Friday , I watched the Bradford v Oldham game later on Bulls TV. similar score to us , but I thought Oldham played better than us at Bradford , even though the score was similar . Having said that we played terrible on Friday v Keighley but a lot better Monday v Bradford for periods at least. Oldham will be a big test as can't really see us winning there , ( we don't usually that is )

What we need is a leader , like our departed George Flanagan ,that's  someone to take charge of the team on the pitch. I still think we will beat some of the better teams in this league most likely at our home ground though.

we need a old head. and also this constant changing team selections needs to stop. 

hunslet till i die

we will never go to watch the #### over the river ever

Archived