Watersplash Final documentary?

I went down to see the finest football team in the League that year put on an exhibition .Especially after the way they blew Wigan away in the semifinal . Unfortunately the weather put the damper on things 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Brilliant documentary, made me cry! If only Neil had played...

I hadn't realised before today that he could have played, if his own club hadn't been so inflexible about resting him for the previous match. Neil and Don in the same team could have made the need for that last kick immaterial.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Final on red button now 

Recording it for later, while watching Avignon v St Esteve live.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Recording it for later, while watching Avignon v St Esteve live.

Fair do's - no spoilers anyone.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Brilliant documentary watched it with tears  streaming down my face.

RIP Don Fox

Up the Trin 

The BBC certainly can produce the goods when they make a documentary.

Maybe their next project should be the 1985 final. Get those Aussies and Kiwi stars interviewed, as well as the British players. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, JonM said:

A modern-day referee would have given about 20 more knock-ons in the first half.

Against Wakefield, but not Leeds, no siree, not Leeds.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

42 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Fair do's - no spoilers anyone.

Spoiler alert - a French team will win. :wink: 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Funny line from Waring "Wakefield are defending the deep end".

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

14 minutes ago, Padge said:

he would have also ignored the dodgy tactics by the modern day dodgy team  . lay one on 

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

It may have a classic ending and one of the most enduring moments in the history of our sport... but it's not a classic match and is pretty hard to watch.

The main thing that strikes me is just how much tougher the modern game is, most of the tackles in this game are either legs tackles or grabs, very little in the way of significant contact.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, Padge said:

by the way did you see the semi final a few weeks earlier ? you got blown away by the finest footballing team of that year .siree 

JAMIE PEACOCK

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It may have a classic ending and one of the most enduring moments in the history of our sport... but it's not a classic match and is pretty hard to watch.

The main thing that strikes me is just how much tougher the modern game is, most of the tackles in this game are either legs tackles or grabs, very little in the way of significant contact.

People talk about the old days with rose tinted glasses. I have never seen a game pre the mid 80's that wasnt a frantic mess. Yes this is an iconic game and a big part of our history. But its not a good game by any stretch.

Knock the modern game all you like but if you could transport one of those sides through time to play a current team, 144-0 would be beaten with 20 minutes to spare.

I know you can only be the best of your era and lots of things have changed since those days. But for the flaws the modern game has, its still a much better sport to watch now.

You have to feel for all the players involved in that game, it was their big day, there was some real class players on that field and then to have to play in those conditions, which lets be honest totally ruined the game as a spectacle, it must have been disappointing  to say the least.

Most of all though sympathy has to go to Don.

The crazy thing is, if Don Fox hadn't come up with the genius kick off move to get Wakefield the ball in the last minute he wouldn't have put himself in that position.

So many if's and what if's ? How about if Don Fox had successfully converted would the attention have fallen on Bernard Watson when he decided to trap the ball and it skidded away ? and if that wasn't a penalty try was Atky still being impeded and maybe awarded a penalty and if so the game could have taken a different route 

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived