Watersplash Final documentary?

18 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

So many if's and what if's ? How about if Don Fox had successfully converted would the attention have fallen on Bernard Watson when he decided to trap the ball and it skidded away ? and if that wasn't a penalty try was Atky still being impeded and maybe awarded a penalty and if so the game could have taken a different route 

If Don Fox had missed the same kick with twenty minutes to go and the result was the same, it would have been at lot less dramatic and mostly forgotten. Other incidents would have taken over as to why the game was won or lost.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The BBC certainly can produce the goods when they make a documentary.

Maybe their next project should be the 1985 final. Get those Aussies and Kiwi stars interviewed, as well as the British players. 

1998 would be good too.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The BBC certainly can produce the goods when they make a documentary.

Maybe their next project should be the 1985 final. Get those Aussies and Kiwi stars interviewed, as well as the British players. 

3 minutes ago, tim2 said:

1998 would be good too.

Both good for different reasons.

1985 the classic between two sides with a cig paper between them and the Sterling v Kenny Aussie angle

1998 the great underdog story and end of a Wigan era of dominance. 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The `85 Wembley Final was probably the best to watch as a neutral.I`d like to throw in the `71 Final as another one worthy of a follow up documentary.Maybe the Beeb should do one every year when the CC is scheduled and highlight past finals.

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

1 minute ago, Bartholemew Smythe said:

The `85 Wembley Final was probably the best to watch as a neutral.I`d like to throw in the `71 Final as another one worthy of a follow up documentary.Maybe the Beeb should do one every year when the CC is scheduled and highlight past finals.

The 85 final was the only time the BBC showed the whole game the next day on Sunday Grandstand, it was scheduled for highlights but they showed the whole game.

my favourite Wembley was Wigan v Hunslet 1965 and Yes I went down and supported our friends ower t bridge ,b ut I didn't sing 'so we shall again' lol . Great final that 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Great documentary. You really could in his eyes see how the miss affected Don Fox all those years later in 1990.

Colman with the most cringeworthy tv interview ever, 'tremendous news Don you've won the Lance Todd Trophy, does that make up for the miss?'

6 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Great documentary. You really could in his eyes see how the miss affected Don Fox all those years later in 1990.

Colman with the most cringeworthy tv interview ever, 'tremendous news Don you've won the Lance Todd Trophy, does that make up for the miss?'

Think they had to do a double take.Don told Coleman what he could do with the Lance Todd Trophy or similar.

3 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Think they had to do a double take.Don told Coleman what he could do with the Lance Todd Trophy or similar.

It was all live.

7 hours ago, Padge said:

Both good for different reasons.

1985 the classic between two sides with a cig paper between them and the Sterling v Kenny Aussie angle

1998 the great underdog story and end of a Wigan era of dominance. 

I thought the 1987 final was a brilliant game also....great tries and close all the way through.

Great documentary really enjoyed it. Well done BBC and Dave Woods. What an era 90,000+ at Wembley despite plenty of other cup competitions, Royal family regularly presenting the cup, huge crowds at club games, and we even had a GB team to match and better the aussies. Fast forward to the modern day............... Where did it all go wrong????? 

1 hour ago, saintspete83 said:

Great documentary really enjoyed it. Well done BBC and Dave Woods. What an era 90,000+ at Wembley despite plenty of other cup competitions, Royal family regularly presenting the cup, huge crowds at club games, and we even had a GB team to match and better the aussies. Fast forward to the modern day............... Where did it all go wrong????? 

Was there really huge crowds for club games in the late 60's?  I was under the impression that modern RL club games attracted higher attendances than league games in the 60's and 70's but I am happy to be proved wrong.

Just tried a quick Google search and saw that my home team (Wigan) were averaging between 4k and 5k at Central Park by the late 70's, I wonder which Super league club today achieved higher attendances in the 1960's & 70's for their club games.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Was there really huge crowds for club games in the late 60's?  I was under the impression that modern RL club games attracted higher attendances than league games in the 60's and 70's but I am happy to be proved wrong.

Just tried a quick Google search and saw that my home team (Wigan) were averaging between 4k and 5k at Central Park by the late 70's, I wonder which Super league club today achieved higher attendances in the 1960's & 70's for their club games.

That was the one thing that the documentary got completely wrong, the game was really struggling, there were not great crowds at club games. The challenge cup final still had great drawing power but the game was dying on its arris at the general club level.

16 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

The crowds went into decline in the early 60s 63-64 after the post war boom which every sport enjoyed

It was that Elizabeth going and getting crowned and every burger buying tellies that set in the rot. 

Them toffs have always had it in for us.

On 12/05/2018 at 2:12 PM, Man of Kent said:

Yes. I wish I hadn’t mentioned it now. Makes me look a ! 

What a ######,yes it does.

On 12/05/2018 at 7:09 PM, fieldofclothofgold said:

didn't the Referee Mr Hepplthwaite die tragically not long afterwards ?

Obviously not shot by Don Fox he would have missed.???

We have had some cracking finals in the SL era. 1996, 1998, 2003, 2005, 2009, 2016 are the ones that stand out to me.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

34 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

We have had some cracking finals in the SL era. 1996, 1998, 2003, 2005, 2009, 2016 are the ones that stand out to me.

and some good ones that weren't at Wembley

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

6 hours ago, Scubby said:

Watched it last night. Don Fox was broken in those post match interviews - but kept his dignity. Did anyone else feel a bit nervous when he took that kick on his revisit in 1990? :mellow: Phew

It really struck me what a dignified man he was. He came across as a lovely bloke.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Watched it this afternoon via iPlayer. What a lovely piece of television it was, and all kudos to the BBC for making it - they really did a marvellous job in putting it together.

I'm just about old enough to remember it, and seem to recall watching it as a small child. It was, I think, probably the following season that my dad first took me to Odsal to start my life-long support of Northern / Bulls. I hadn't realised then or since about the highly dubious 'penalty try' - imagine that being pored over frame-by-frame by todays video ref and almost certainly not being given.

RL was a very different sport back then. A lot of blokes who really wouldn't be fit enough or muscular  enough to survive at todays top level! Some tremendously skilful players for sure, but by no stretch of the imagination were there anything like the fitness levels

Still, a very wonderful watch - and if you haven't yet seen it, it is definitely worth 45 minutes of your life.

Archived