10. Graham - St George

11. Whitehead - Canberra

12. S Burgess - Souths

13. Ward - Leeds

14. Clarke - Warr

15. McMeekin - Cas

16. G Burgess - Souths

17. Sutton - Wigan

Makinson - Sts, Gildart - Wigan, Atkin - HKR, Myler - Leeds, Ashurst - Wakefield, Taylor - Hull FC, T Burgess - Souths

11 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

1. Tomkins

2. McGilvary

3. Watkins

4. Percival

5. Johnstone

6. Widdop

7. Gale

8. Graham

9. Roby

10. S Burgess

11. Whitehead

12. Currie

13. O'Loughlin

Subs

14. Clarke

15. T Burgess

16. Hill

17. McMeeken

Good side that. I would replace Johnstone with Hall and probably replace Hill with Cooper. But I would have no problem at all if that team was picked.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

1. Tomkins/Ratchford - haven't seen enough to choose!

2. McGilvary

3. Percival

4. Watkins

5. Makinson

6. Widdop

7. Gale

8. Graham

9. Roby

10. Hill

11. Whitehead

12. Farrell

13. O'Loughlin

14. Thompson

15. Sam Burgess

16. Liam Farrell

17. Scott Taylor

Richardson is some distance away from a call up, his long kicking game and game management still need lots of work. This is expected obviously, I just think the discussion of him internationally is very premature. 

All opinions and no ones is more valid than the next

mcGillvery has hardly played all season, I wouldn’t argue too strongly against Makinson, I think Richardson’s ready, he’s already pushing Sts about and they’re playing well. gale isn’t playing that well and didn’t set the world on fire during his England appearances. Hills been poor so far this year, you’ve got Farrell in twice, Oloughlins hardly played.

21 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Good side that. I would replace Johnstone with Hall and probably replace Hill with Walmsley. But I would have no problem at all if that team was picked.

Walmsley’s out for the season by the looks of it

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

1. Tomkins

2. McGilvary

3. Watkins

4. Percival

5. Johnstone

6. Widdop

7. Gale

8. Graham

9. Roby

10. S Burgess

11. Whitehead

12. Currie

13. O'Loughlin

Subs

14. Clarke

15. T Burgess

16. Hill

17. McMeeken

Not sure there is much value in pulling Jon Clarke out of retirement. .I'd probably.swap him for Paul Mcshane on current form ;)

Tomkins, Hall, Percival, Watkins, McGilvray, Widdop, Gale, Graham, Roby, S Burgess, Currie, Whitehead, S O'Loughlin Res: Hill, T Burgess, Ward, Bateman. 

I've gone for Ward and Bateman on the bench because they're both classy backrowers who offer something a bit different, and between the two, cover centre, five-eighth and hooker if there was injury. McMeekan unlucky to miss out, as is Johnstone.

I think the Burgess twins are both playing better this season and I would have them in the 17 to play v NZ, The Kiwis will have a massive pack and England will need to contain their forwards.

With Walmsley looking like he will be unavailable the twins would be the best hope of making an impact from the bench.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

2 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

Richie mylers the form 7 imo, obviously im a touch biased as are most of us, but he's been great for us this season

I have to agree I think Myler has a great chances of playing himself into contention.

2 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

Richie mylers the form 7 imo, obviously im a touch biased as are most of us, but he's been great for us this season

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I have to agree I think Myler has a great chances of playing himself into contention.

Wow. If a Wire fan had put forward this suggestion when he was on form for us, they would have had a week's suspension from the forum.

"Just a support player".

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Just Browny said:

Wow. If a Wire fan had put forward this suggestion when he was on form for us, they would have had a week's suspension from the forum.

"Just a support player".

He is and should be nowhere near the squad. Solid SL player but does not control a side. His kicking game is par on a good day.

Just now, Just Browny said:

"Just a support player".

To be fair, everyone from commentators to Journalists to fans have noted how Mylers game has changed a lot. A bit like McGuire he's taken on a more controlling role in games. I don't know if he's the best but like i say putting himself in contention.

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

If we didn't have an ashes series next year id say now. I'm not sure a player like hall will be playing for England in 2021 O'loughlin almost certainly won't, even Graham will be 36 come 2021.

But an ashes win is too important for us to use it as a learning process so while those lads may not help us win the world cup they can certainly help us win the ashes.

Fair point , I wasn’t sure hence my team . I guess it’s not black and white and there’s continuity but also a process of new blood as well as the Aussies do . Also it’s to be looked at on an individual level 

I think there's sometimes a risk with changing the guard too early. If you pick too many young guys who aren't quite ready, standards drop and you end up having a world cup like NZ. Best to take a gradual approach. So for me, Percival and Ward have been around the squad, and now need to play. They join younger guys like Currie and Bateman in the 17. Along with that, introduce Johnstone, and maybe guys like Walker and Richardson to the broader squad, to bring them up to speed.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

To be fair, everyone from commentators to Journalists to fans have noted how Mylers game has changed a lot. A bit like McGuire he's taken on a more controlling role in games. I don't know if he's the best but like i say putting himself in contention.

Amazing scenes: a guy plays half a dozen games for Leeds and suddenly he is gifted with a number of talents that weren't previously there.

Myler has always been a far better player than he received credit for, including from Warrington fans when he was with us. I am pleased for him that pulling on a Leeds top means that everyone from commentators to journalists to fans is starting to notice that.

Neither Walker or Richardson are good enough for the national team yet; Walker will reach t before Richardson though. 

You gradually bring in new talent, not a wholesale change at this level and certainly not two pivotal positions in one go (three/four if you include 9/13). Gradually ease in talent with 2/3 changes per year and the team will look different by the 2021 WC.

Archived