Westerman leaving TWP

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Scubby said:

two seasons later not 4 months

Okay I used the Tomkins example because of the high transfer fee and the fact still under contract - Tomkins obviously was there a lot longer. In this case it doesn't sound like JW is using the homesick excuse, but my point (albeit moving off the OP) is that numerous southern hemisphere players have come up here and sighted the homesick excuse to get out of a contract and a few English in the other direction and it's pretty blatant that homesickness had nothing to do with it and clubs are pretty powerless. 

Just now, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Okay I used the Tomkins example because of the high transfer fee and the fact still under contract - Tomkins obviously was there a lot longer. In this case it doesn't sound like JW is using the homesick excuse, but my point (albeit moving off the OP) is that numerous southern hemisphere players have come up here and sighted the homesick excuse to get out of a contract and a few English in the other direction and it's pretty blatant that homesickness had nothing to do with it and clubs are pretty powerless. 

There is a case that we have created a soft-ish culture for players in the UK - having so many clubs within a short geographical area. Even the Wolfpack being based in Manchester will have put out Yorkshire-based players (even though it is nothing in terms of distance). 

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

There is a case that we have created a soft-ish culture for players in the UK - having so many clubs within a short geographical area. Even the Wolfpack being based in Manchester will have put out Yorkshire-based players (even though it is nothing in terms of distance). 

I agree. Part of the reason a draft system I mentioned in another thread would never work/be abused as well. Seems everyone wants expansion but nobody told the players that might involve them going further than the Humber Bridge or Mersey Tunnel 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Amazingly he must be one of the most expensive players in the SL era. He has managed to command 3x £100k+ transfer fees? How is that possible for a slightly better than average player in this era?

It happens. I remember being amazed when I saw the aggregate transfer fees in soccer for the 1990's decade. The most expensive player in terms of combined fees was Ronaldo (the Brazilian version), but the second most expensive was David Platt !

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Bit harsh that, Westerman was one of their best players last season

There were rumours about disruptive behaviour when he left.   Of course it’s exactly that, just rumours, so could have no substance.

However, the comments from our CEO when his departure was announced can be interpreted many ways:

“It frees up further salary cap space allowing the new coach to recruit players who will enhance the culture of the playing group and hopefully deliver on-field success.”

Not quite sure what the bit in bold is implying.   Is the CEO suggesting we didn’t go to enough modern art galleries?   Or was Westerman out on the pee a bit too much?

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

4 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Seems the easiest loophole to get out of a contract - 'If you don't release me out of my contract because I'm homesick then I won't be happy, which is affecting my mental health'. 

Your a million miles away HGG, why speculate in a discriminatory way to his charachter when you obviously don't know the reason. 

30 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

There were rumours about disruptive behaviour when he left.   Of course it’s exactly that, just rumours, so could have no substance.

However, the comments from our CEO when his departure was announced can be interpreted many ways:

“It frees up further salary cap space allowing the new coach to recruit players who will enhance the culture of the playing group and hopefully deliver on-field success.”

Not quite sure what the bit in bold is implying.   Is the CEO suggesting we didn’t go to enough modern art galleries?   Or was Westerman out on the pee a bit too much?

I'm sure it was probably the latter and don't doubt that he could have been a disruptive personality. I just didn't think it was fair to apportion blame for Warrington's poor season last year on him, when he was one of their better players. There's always far more to it and it's taken a while for Wire to turn the corner

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Read on in the thread then get back to me - I wasn't applying that to JW 

If I have misread you then accept my apoligies, but in my defence you qouted another poster who albeit not naming JW was following on from the opening post saying the roumer was he homesick, easy on my part to consider JW was player in question.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If I have misread you then accept my apoligies, but in my defence you qouted another poster who albeit not naming JW was following on from the opening post saying the roumer was he homesick, easy on my part to consider JW was player in question.

No worries - coincidently it was your post about it being more of a clash of personalities that I read prior to posting which meant I wasn't applying this to the JW situation, but still felt the topic of players using the 'homesick' excuse had been discussed enough to make my post relevant. 

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

No worries - coincidently it was your post about it being more of a clash of personalities that I read prior to posting which meant I wasn't applying this to the JW situation, but still felt the topic of players using the 'homesick' excuse had been discussed enough to make my post relevant. 

OK, fair comment.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

I just didn't think it was fair to apportion blame for Warrington's poor season last year on him, when he was one of their better players.

I agree - it was just the end of an era and his behaviour probably didn’t help the decline of that era.   I thought he was good in 2016 and steadier than some in 2017.   No regrets about him going though - Murdoch-Masila has had much more impact and as far as I know is a positive influence on those around him.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

I'm sure it was probably the latter and don't doubt that he could have been a disruptive personality. I just didn't think it was fair to apportion blame for Warrington's poor season last year on him, when he was one of their better players. There's always far more to it and it's taken a while for Wire to turn the corner

Westerman always did a very good job for us imho. If we had to move him on for off-field issues then so be it, but he never let us down on the field, despite the Hull fans trying to convince us he was the worst player in the land when he signed for us. 

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

Surprised Wakefield would want him , sometimes thought he was a bit inconsistent and overhyped 

to say the least

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Westerman always did a very good job for us imho. If we had to move him on for off-field issues then so be it, but he never let us down on the field, despite the Hull fans trying to convince us he was the worst player in the land when he signed for us. 

Unfair Dave. Some of them were saying Lineham was the worst player in the world.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Unfair Dave. Some of them were saying Lineham was the worst player in the world.

Lineham’s a funny one.   Sure, he’s had the odd bad game (or run of games) but statistically he’s an excellent winger with a fantastic strike rate.   Somehow he manages to not stand out in the way that other high-scoring wingers do.   Bear in mind that he has also played outside of Ryan Atkins for a lot of his time at Warrington, and by Ryan’s own admission he’s not a centre who puts wingers in for tries.

Lineham has been worth the transfer fee IMO.

Archived