Westerman leaving TWP

13 hours ago, Scubby said:

Amazingly he must be one of the most expensive players in the SL era. He has managed to command 3x £100k+ transfer fees? How is that possible for a slightly better than average player in this era?

Salary cap value..

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/04/2018 at 3:27 PM, Dave T said:

Westerman always did a very good job for us imho. If we had to move him on for off-field issues then so be it, but he never let us down on the field, despite the Hull fans trying to convince us he was the worst player in the land when he signed for us. 

21 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Unfair Dave. Some of them were saying Lineham was the worst player in the world.

I wasn't in either camp but in hindsight I have to say Adam Pearson must have seen Simon Moran coming.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

I wasn't in either camp but in hindsight I have to say Adam Pearson must have seen Simon Moran coming.

Westerman was very good for us and we recouped much of the fee.

Lineham has been a try scoring machine and despite a blip early last year has been a good signing.

30 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Westerman was very good for us and we recouped much of the fee.

Lineham has been a try scoring machine and despite a blip early last year has been a good signing.

You're happy. We're happy. Everybody's happy.

That'll do for me.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 06/04/2018 at 8:56 AM, Just Browny said:

I agree that it is very weird how reluctant rugby players are to go elsewhere. I disagree about Engliah soccer players, who very rarely travel outside the UK to improve their game.

No English soccer playears don't, but on the most part soccer players move a lot. You get some young Brazillian bloke playing in the Polish League for example.

If he doesn't want to be in Toronto we let him go and wish him well.   It is an honour to play for Toronto but it is a unique gig and not for everyone...we wish him all the best if he is actually leaving.  If he chooses to stay, all the best too!

We are a a happy lot over here!

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/04/2018 at 12:44 AM, Kayakman said:

If he doesn't want to be in Toronto we let him go and wish him well.   It is an honour to play for Toronto but it is a unique gig and not for everyone...we wish him all the best if he is actually leaving.  If he chooses to stay, all the best too!

We are a a happy lot over here!

He never got to Toronto, so how would he know?

HW

20 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I hope not. A backward step. He never pulled any trees up in his previous spell at the KCom.

After the HDM piece, Matt Shaw is saying it’s a done deal plus this ‘Westerman spent several weeks away from Toronto's training base following a clash of opinion with their coaching staff. His agent has been pursuing a move elsewhere. Interest picked up after he lowered his wage demands this week’. 

Gosh he was one of our best young players and was over relied on at Cas in his youth (like Bateman at the Bulls was nearly ruined before he went to Wigan), got a good move and has been a steady player ever since but never set the world alight as I thought he would - was a very Sculthorpe sort of player but he seems to have become more of a cart horse, seems to have stopped testing himself. He really was head and shoulders above the rest of his age group, very off the cuff and hard as nails. Fast too at one point.

Coached out of him?

He is a friend of Liam Watts - and if we are talking about culture - a friend of Hardakers in the past - so you wonder if the rock star lifestyle was more important at one time and now the hard work is getting him down. Who knows really. Sad to see and I hope he gets back to a team that can help and inspire him so not sure backwards to Hull is that good a step, or maybe it is without Watts?

Shame he didn't give Toronto a go. With QLT on the out to Halifax, and the second marquee player in now from Manly (?) I think there is a refresh going on to keep momentum up ahead of the move to Canada, they don't want any loose cannons once they go over there. And having more salary cap now to play with, as Westerman was expensive by all accounts, I would suggest a move for another forward is in the offing, or even perhaps a Tomkins type coup?

Hope Westerman gets a shot at the big time again, and he produces what he has always been capable of but not shown on the field for years. Above average at best, always thought he had the game to be outstanding and Toronto like to throw it about so thought it would be a good fit.

As an aside I do like what Toronto are doing regarding culture, something the Dragons are looking at with Tomkins coming in, culture really is everything in league, good to see a professional approach, and with so many young players popping up at the moment that can only be a good thing, the difference between success and failure seems to be the top 2 inches now just as much as the bottom 6 feet! Its a skill like any other, a good leader at the right level is worth their weight in gold now, rare and difficult to get hold of as we used to pillage the NRL in the past, although Cataln haven't got that right since the days of Robinson and Stacey Jones!

Haven't really followed Westerans career since leaving Hull. Had he been playing loose forward at Warrington or "second row"? I just felt he got in the way at 13 at Hull and slowed things down. I have to say my overall feeling is no thanks with the lads coming through but then again not sure about Minichiello etc. for next year so maybe a bit of experience is needed in that position.

I think you might be spot on - Mini has said he wants to play on if fit but if not Westerman is a bit of muscle in the middle they could develop a bit - needs to raise his fitness though - he was used at 13 at Warrington but seemed to have a more direct almost prop/second row sort of role which isn't really his game as his offload seems to have got worse by the year

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Was that in his job description?

Sounds like him and Rowley tangled...Rowley has been given free rein at Toronto...he had better produce.

41 minutes ago, Kris said:

Gosh he was one of our best young players and was over relied on at Cas in his youth (like Bateman at the Bulls was nearly ruined before he went to Wigan), got a good move and has been a steady player ever since but never set the world alight as I thought he would - was a very Sculthorpe sort of player but he seems to have become more of a cart horse, seems to have stopped testing himself. He really was head and shoulders above the rest of his age group, very off the cuff and hard as nails. Fast too at one point.

Coached out of him?

He is a friend of Liam Watts - and if we are talking about culture - a friend of Hardakers in the past - so you wonder if the rock star lifestyle was more important at one time and now the hard work is getting him down. Who knows really. Sad to see and I hope he gets back to a team that can help and inspire him so not sure backwards to Hull is that good a step, or maybe it is without Watts?

Shame he didn't give Toronto a go. With QLT on the out to Halifax, and the second marquee player in now from Manly (?) I think there is a refresh going on to keep momentum up ahead of the move to Canada, they don't want any loose cannons once they go over there. And having more salary cap now to play with, as Westerman was expensive by all accounts, I would suggest a move for another forward is in the offing, or even perhaps a Tomkins type coup?

Hope Westerman gets a shot at the big time again, and he produces what he has always been capable of but not shown on the field for years. Above average at best, always thought he had the game to be outstanding and Toronto like to throw it about so thought it would be a good fit.

As an aside I do like what Toronto are doing regarding culture, something the Dragons are looking at with Tomkins coming in, culture really is everything in league, good to see a professional approach, and with so many young players popping up at the moment that can only be a good thing, the difference between success and failure seems to be the top 2 inches now just as much as the bottom 6 feet! Its a skill like any other, a good leader at the right level is worth their weight in gold now, rare and difficult to get hold of as we used to pillage the NRL in the past, although Cataln haven't got that right since the days of Robinson and Stacey Jones!

Do you not think Lusick is a ‘loose cannon’?  

Westerman has represented his country and despite our experts on here, that is the pinnacle.  To reach that you have to be very good.  To claim he was above average at best, is not really true and disingenuous to a player who did well at Hull & Wire.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Do you not think Bussell is a ‘loose cannon’?  

Westerman has represented his country and despite our experts on here, that is the pinnacle.  To reach that you have to be very good.  To claim he was above average at best, is not really true and disingenuous to a player who did well at Hull & Wire.

Without wanting to be pedantic as I do agree I seem to recall he only represented his country once (I could be wrong) and didn't exactly have a stormer. Like I say not disagreeing just making the point he wasn't exactly an England shoe in or anything. And in fairness I guess Sean O'Loughlin was always blocking him getting in much more.

Ignoring off field stuff, I would have Westerman at 13 at Wire any day of the week, and Id say he is good enough for most clubs in the league.

If he has off field issues that is a separate issue.

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Ignoring off field stuff, I would have Westerman at 13 at Wire any day of the week, and Id say he is good enough for most clubs in the league.

If he has off field issues that is a separate issue.

I thought he was one of Warrington’s better performers in the regular season last year. He looked a step above the rest of the pack 

1 hour ago, Kris said:

Coached out of him?

I'm not sure that the Wolfpack have the right culture completely looking at various signings that they have/had but it is an interesting point.  I do think that all teams need to have the right players with the right attitude and especially any expansion teams.  I would hope that players are going there not just for money and the experience but the chance to start something new and exciting in rugby league and put their names into the history books.

The latest flat caps and whippets podcast has a very interesting interview with a sports psychologist about cultures within a team.  Well worth a listen.

1 hour ago, Jarv said:

Without wanting to be pedantic as I do agree I seem to recall he only represented his country once (I could be wrong) and didn't exactly have a stormer. Like I say not disagreeing just making the point he wasn't exactly an England shoe in or anything. And in fairness I guess Sean O'Loughlin was always blocking him getting in much more.

He has played representative RL.  Duck eggs don’t get selected, despite what ‘experts’ think.  

I was disappointed in him leaving Hull, but money is king in a short career.  TWP was a soft option imo.  These agents think as much about the players future as the man in the moon.

I wonder if this is a record.

A guy signs a contract and plays for a city for 6 months, and never sees the city he played for during that period.

BTW, taking a paycheque from a club for 6 months and then getting homesick a week or two before you actually have to leave home seems very lame to me. 

It seems the Wolfpack really need to vet players a lot more about the travel requirement, as we've heard this lament a few too many times in the first year and a half.

I realize it's a unique situation,  but geez, it's not as if it's a surprise.

Archived