Westerman leaving TWP

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

After the HDM piece, Matt Shaw is saying it’s a done deal plus this ‘Westerman spent several weeks away from Toronto's training base following a clash of opinion with their coaching staff. His agent has been pursuing a move elsewhere. Interest picked up after he lowered his wage demands this week’. 

Surely TWP will want some of the money back they paid Warrington? That could be a stumbling block.

rldfsignature.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

hull fans must wonder about the clubs ambitions with a backward signing like this

No not really. I think he is a quality player. Whether he has played for us before or not doesn't really concern me.

35 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

hull fans must wonder about the clubs ambitions with a backward signing like this

In reality it’s a great bit of business.   I don’t know how they do it but they deserve some credit.   They sell a player for £150k and then get him back a couple of years later for nothing on a much reduced salary.   If he turns out to be a timewaster he’s only taken up a small part of the cap.

If only Pearson and Radford had been in charge of Carillion the economy would be in a little better state right now ?

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

13 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

In reality it’s a great bit of business.   I don’t know how they do it but they deserve some credit.   They sell a player for £150k and then get him back a couple of years later for nothing on a much reduced salary.   If he turns out to be a timewaster he’s only taken up a small part of the cap.

If only Pearson and Radford had been in charge of Carillion the economy would be in a little better state right now ?

It really is an impressive piece of business as you say and as my brother just said to me, Radford has a great record with players who have a point to prove. 

I just can't see any negatives for Hull. They're risking very little financially and with the "shape up or ship out" culture at the club he won't make the squad and Hull won't take up the option of extending his contract at the season's end.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Did he have any intention of hanging around at Toronto ?

Have you seen the size of those maples?

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I’m just glad that Warrington got 140k for him.   He was pretty good in 2016 and better than a lot of the squad in 2017.   Whether the alleged off-field behaviour did any damage we’ll never know, but at least it only cost us 10k.

Wouldnt swap him for Jack Hughes or Ben Murdoch-Masila on this year’s form though.   Shame as he showed so much potential in his early years at Cas.   A Sculthorpe that never blossomed.   Good luck to him and hope he gets it together.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

westerman is rubbish, end of story, the typical example of lack of quality English  players in sl, had his chance , had his day, had his chips (by the look of it) - waste of time - waste of money - go back to lock lane

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

16 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

westerman is rubbish, end of story, the typical example of lack of quality English  players in sl, had his chance , had his day, had his chips (by the look of it) - waste of time - waste of money - go back to lock lane

If you say so mate.

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

For a rubbish night player he’s commanded quite a lot in transfer fees over the years

his agent might be more skilled than he is

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

14 hours ago, PatrickB said:

I wonder if this is a record.

A guy signs a contract and plays for a city for 6 months, and never sees the city he played for during that period.

BTW, taking a paycheque from a club for 6 months and then getting homesick a week or two before you actually have to leave home seems very lame to me. 

It seems the Wolfpack really need to vet players a lot more about the travel requirement, as we've heard this lament a few too many times in the first year and a half.

I realize it's a unique situation,  but geez, it's not as if it's a surprise.

Can you imagine if a hockey or lacrosse player here ever complained even once about travel and living away from home?  That would be the end of them before they could even finish the complaint.  I suspect the same is true for baseball players as well.

Someone else said it on the forum somewhere - it really does seem the english players do not travel well.  I think TWP has lost now 4 or 5 players due to homesickness.  I bet you some professional teams here have not lost that many for this reason in the last hundred years!

Perhaps its because of the size of our country and so our perspective is different.   I think nothing of driving back and forth from West side of Toronto to Ottawa on weekends - in my mind its only a 1100km trip.  Literally just around the corner.  But for some I think its more like OMG a 1100KM TRIP ARE YOU NUTS!

Thank you Harry for the scoop on why.  It speaks pretty poorly about Westerman that he could not be professional and follow his coaches direction.  Given what else I read in this forum it sounds to me like his head has gotten to the point it does not fit through the door.

I don't think it really matters to TWP however.  They brought in Lussick who looks fit and ready, and I think they have laid the groundwork to the NRL (and Islands) pipeline.  And I think most of the players are very happy on board and are buying what TWP is selling.  So as Kayman says (I think it was you K who mentioned this somewhere in the thread) the team is getting stronger and more cohesive and ready for the move back home, where the atmosphere will be entirely different, full of positivity and in high gear - assuming of course the City of Toronto gets its ass in gear on the stadium returfing....

We don’t have a culture of travelling in this country; most people will live and die in the same area they born in. I think this is further exaggerated within our sport due to clubs being so close to each other collective bar the likes of Toronto and London. It breeds a small time, local mentality and the likes of Westerman are prime examples. 

Regarding his move to Hull, he’s a good player and he’ll improve FC.

I'm not entirely sure the travel is the main reason tbh. Seems he didn't think too much to the coaching either. It seemed an odd move for him at the time.

Westerman was pretty much our best player before he left. He went to Warrington and from what I saw aquitted himself really well. He will bring something to us for sure. Especially whilst he is on a short contract and wanting to make an impression. I guess long term he is earmarked as a replacement for Minichiello. Short term it will be interesting to see where and how we use him.

4 hours ago, Captain Survival said:

Can you imagine if a hockey or lacrosse player here ever complained even once about travel and living away from home?  That would be the end of them before they could even finish the complaint.  I suspect the same is true for baseball players as well.

Someone else said it on the forum somewhere - it really does seem the english players do not travel well.  I think TWP has lost now 4 or 5 players due to homesickness.  I bet you some professional teams here have not lost that many for this reason in the last hundred years!

Perhaps its because of the size of our country and so our perspective is different.   I think nothing of driving back and forth from West side of Toronto to Ottawa on weekends - in my mind its only a 1100km trip.  Literally just around the corner.  But for some I think its more like OMG a 1100KM TRIP ARE YOU NUTS!

Thank you Harry for the scoop on why.  It speaks pretty poorly about Westerman that he could not be professional and follow his coaches direction.  Given what else I read in this forum it sounds to me like his head has gotten to the point it does not fit through the door.

I don't think it really matters to TWP however.  They brought in Lussick who looks fit and ready, and I think they have laid the groundwork to the NRL (and Islands) pipeline.  And I think most of the players are very happy on board and are buying what TWP is selling.  So as Kayman says (I think it was you K who mentioned this somewhere in the thread) the team is getting stronger and more cohesive and ready for the move back home, where the atmosphere will be entirely different, full of positivity and in high gear - assuming of course the City of Toronto gets its ass in gear on the stadium returfing....

I think the homesickness thing with JW is BS.  

Secondly, I doubt  there is negativity in fans and players here, just the minority.  Don’t judge us all on that.  

For me, JW move to TWP was a negative in that he was finding form in 2017 and starting to show his skills.  Leaving seemed a soft option, but then leaving TWP, without seeing the country, culture etc seems to defeat the whole object.

46 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think the homesickness thing with JW is BS.  

Secondly, I doubt  there is negativity in fans and players here, just the minority.  Don’t judge us all on that.  

For me, JW move to TWP was a negative in that he was finding form in 2017 and starting to show his skills.  Leaving seemed a soft option, but then leaving TWP, without seeing the country, culture etc seems to defeat the whole object.

How could he be Homesick, he never left the Country. 

HW

3 hours ago, MZH said:

I'm not entirely sure the travel is the main reason tbh. Seems he didn't think too much to the coaching either. It seemed an odd move for him at the time.

Westerman was pretty much our best player before he left. He went to Warrington and from what I saw aquitted himself really well. He will bring something to us for sure. Especially whilst he is on a short contract and wanting to make an impression. I guess long term he is earmarked as a replacement for Minichiello. Short term it will be interesting to see where and how we use him.

In training does he train very hard?,   sprint hard on every drill?   Rowley has high fitness standards and expects full on effort in training....I suspect this might be the root of the problem....

Rowley/Noble are calling the shots over here...it takes a special type of player to play with Toronto because of the unique situation....possibly great rewards at the end of the tunnel though.

6 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

In training does he train very hard?,   sprint hard on every drill?   Rowley has high fitness standards and expects full on effort in training....I suspect this might be the root of the problem....

Rowley/Noble are calling the shots over here...it takes a special type of player to play with Toronto because of the unique situation....possibly great rewards at the end of the tunnel though.

Well if he can't meet Rowleys standards he's in trouble under Radford.

2 hours ago, Havenwarrior said:

How could he be Homesick, he never left the Country. 

HW

Mate. You’ve posted the same thing several times and I’ve read them all.  It’s not me saying it, it was the Press.  Look above - I’ve called BS.

Archived