No charges against OAP

50 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

What specifically was clarified? And why?

Proportional force.  There was a big discussion in the media and elsewhere following the Tony Martin case about whether his reaction to the intruders was proportional.  It was just one of those moments that sparked debate and controversy, and ended up with a legal representatives (I cannot remember who was involved or the process specifically) clarifying what was meant by proportional force - for example a knife vs a screwdriver would be considered proportional but a gun vs a screwdriver would not.

6 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Murder doesn't require premeditation. The person just has to intend to kill or cause grievous bodily harm, and do so unlawfully. Self-defence meant it wasn't unlawful, but it still had to be investigated to ensure that self-defence was a valid argument. 

There isn't a law against that, which is why there is no charges against him. However, there is still a requirement that the self-defence is reasonable and necessary, and hence the police had to investigate the death. There is no obligation for the inhabitant to 'weigh things to a nicety', and the inhabitant can pre-emptively strike if he believes the use of force is reasonable and necessary to protect himself, others or his property. The law has plenty of protection for home-owners defending themselves, we should not pretend otherwise. 

They should give the bloke a medal,the burglar picked on the wrong OAP.

10 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Reasonable force has always been a requirement for self-defence. That was never not the case. The fact that the media stirred up hysteria for Tony Martin, as they did about this, does not mean the law was unclear.

What is your argument here? That the law doesn't allow homeowners to protect themselves? Or are you just saying the papers creating controversy for the sake of selling copies has some legal significance?  

I am not arguing anything.  If you read my posts you will see this quite clearly.

The law can be quite clear to non-lawyers btw.  That was the problem.  The general public did not always appreciate what reasonable force looked like in practice.

Metro

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

9 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Metro

why have 2 of them got their hoods up? it isn't raining is it? they should be charged with criminal damage to his fence with whatever they stuck in in to hang them up

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

24 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Just seen on the BBC  website that the scumbag burglars family have been back to put the "tributes" back up and stated that whoever took them down "should be ashamed of themselves".

Na the scumbags family only went back so they can case the neighbouring houses. They'll be back to their regular thieving next week. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I heard one of the family having a go at a reporter on the news earlier.  I'm not surprised members of the community have pulled down the flowers.  They just added insult to injury.  What an obnoxious family.

The guy who was burgled and attacked originally is now in a safe house with his disabled wife and a police guard.  One of the burglars is still on the run.  

12 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I heard one of the family having a go at a reporter on the news earlier.  I'm not surprised members of the community have pulled down the flowers.  They just added insult to injury.  What an obnoxious family.

The guy who was burgled and attacked originally is now in a safe house with his disabled wife and a police guard.  One of the burglars is still on the run.  

release the hounds

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 4/10/2018 at 7:49 PM, Saintslass said:

A similar thing happened here a few years ago. Scumbags broke into a house, terrifying the family including young children. They nicked the keys to the families car. Un fortunately the thieves crashed the car making their escape killing themselves. In the days after a similar "tribute" was erected at the crah site. It was destroyed within hours. It reappeared the following day only to be destroyed again. The police then stepped in to let the people erecting the tribute to stop or face charges of criminal damage. It seems that the local police in this case haven't got the same level of common sense; a senior police officer has defended their "rights" to carry on. :fie:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

3 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

A similar thing happened here a few years ago. Scumbags broke into a house, terrifying the family including young children. They nicked the keys to the families car. Un fortunately the thieves crashed the car making their escape killing themselves. In the days after a similar "tribute" was erected at the crah site. It was destroyed within hours. It reappeared the following day only to be destroyed again. The police then stepped in to let the people erecting the tribute to stop or face charges of criminal damage. It seems that the local police in this case haven't got the same level of common sense; a senior police officer has defended their "rights" to carry on. :fie:

Someone - anybody - needs to formally report it as intimidation. That way if the police don't respond to stop it they will need to explain why.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived