"NRL smash AFL in TV ratings"

"AFL viewership on pay TV is down almost 6% after two rounds of their competition while the NRL has gone the other way and is up 6%."

"In total, across both pay TV and free-to-air, the NRL thrashed the AFL 1.9 million  viewers to 1.5 million."

I wouldn't call it "thrashed" but it's certainly very encouraging.

http://the81stminute.com/2018/04/doomsayers-think-again-as-nrl-smash-afl-in-tv-ratings/

I'd also question the use of "thrashed", even in a population the size of Australia's.

However, at the end of the 2018 season, it'd be very interesting to see the figures for the AFL and NRL streaming services to overseas territories. Seeing as the AFL service has been up and running for longer, it would be good to match or even beat them after a single season.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Although it is way to early in the season to be talking in terms of "thrashed" 1.9M compared to 1.4M gives the NRL 26% more viewers than the AFL which if it continued to the end of the season would certainly make sponsors sit up.

31 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

The AFL fans are maybe actually attending games rather than watching from their armchairs.

But sponsors and advertisers don't care about that and neither do big money TV companies handing out the dosh! In market competition terms you might as well quote the fact that more people used the AFL toilets at games than in the NRL!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 4/7/2018 at 7:16 AM, Yosser said:

"AFL viewership on pay TV is down almost 6% after two rounds of their competition while the NRL has gone the other way and is up 6%."

"In total, across both pay TV and free-to-air, the NRL thrashed the AFL 1.9 million  viewers to 1.5 million."

I wouldn't call it "thrashed" but it's certainly very encouraging.

http://the81stminute.com/2018/04/doomsayers-think-again-as-nrl-smash-afl-in-tv-ratings/

The concensus in Australia is that Fox sports paid over the odds for AFL and now must be regretting that.

On 07/04/2018 at 5:39 PM, Oxford said:

But sponsors and advertisers don't care about that and neither do big money TV companies handing out the dosh! In market competition terms you might as well quote the fact that more people used the AFL toilets at games than in the NRL!

Oh yes they do and the attendance figures in favour of the AFL is worthy of the word thrashing.

Without being sure which sporting organisation's favour it is in, I would be interested to see terrestrial figures as well.

12 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Oh yes they do

Where does that come from?

Why would figures at the match matter?

TV is about advertisers that's where they get the dosh from to make the big payouts, advertisers look at how many are watching and if possible would like a profile of them for their marketing so they can place their adverts and tailor them which is how they create OAP television in the day time and put funeral insurance, back ache medicine and private meals on wheels marketing around it.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I also believe that NRL ratings are high because we are more willing to watch games involving other clubs beyond our own. 

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

On 10/04/2018 at 1:51 AM, Oxford said:

Where does that come from?

Why would figures at the match matter?

TV is about advertisers that's where they get the dosh from to make the big payouts, advertisers look at how many are watching and if possible would like a profile of them for their marketing so they can place their adverts and tailor them which is how they create OAP television in the day time and put funeral insurance, back ache medicine and private meals on wheels marketing around it.

Having previously worked in sports corporate sales I am experienced enough to know that there are more than just viewing figures that influence corporate advertising.

15k in an 85k seater stadium may get slightly more tv viewers than a match with 70k in a 100k seater stadium, but the latter is considered the more prestigious product to be advertising to.

Very importantly as well is the demographic of viewer. AFL has a broader demographic with a significantly larger upper class following than RL which is predominantly lower to middle class.

AFL clubs also have greater loyalty from their fans as evidenced by the overwhelmingly large membership figures. This loyalty also plays its part in marketing spend.

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:23 AM, DlEHARD said:

I also believe that NRL ratings are high because we are more willing to watch games involving other clubs beyond our own. 

Really? I wouldn't watch a NRL game not involving my team if you paid me! I watch SL when I just want to enjoy a game as a neutral.

31 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Really? I wouldn't watch a NRL game not involving my team if you paid me! I watch SL when I just want to enjoy a game as a neutral.

You’ve watched one grand final since 1971? You are hard core man!

9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

You’ve watched one grand final since 1971? You are hard core man!

That's correct if you exclude English RL , On top of that I also bought GF tickets in the weeks leading up to the 1989,2012/13 GF's that I ended up not even watching or selling the tickets, I did get some satisfaction from knowing there'd be empty seats on GF day though.

1 hour ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

That's correct if you exclude English RL , On top of that I also bought GF tickets in the weeks leading up to the 1989,2012/13 GF's that I ended up not even watching or selling the tickets, I did get some satisfaction from knowing there'd be empty seats on GF day though.

You are a pretty full on Bunnies supporter huh?

Does that mean you won’t be gracing the forums in September either after the Wabbits finish outside the 8?

11 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

You are a pretty full on Bunnies supporter huh?

Does that mean you won’t be gracing the forums in September either after the Wabbits finish outside the 8?

Don't start threating SP I'll be around, But Souths will just miss the top 8 along with Cronulla.

22 minutes ago, Graham said:

... and Storm given the hiccough of a start to the season 

Exactly.

Archived