Favourite commentary

This could quickly degenerate into a thread about Mick Morgan. But my question is: what is your favourite bit of RL commentary and why?

I have a few but will start with this. It’s the way Ray French screams “Now then” after Offiah makes his break. 

I’m heavily nostalgic about this try as I moved to Wigan in 1993 and started watching rugby and went to Wembley in 1994. I was a teenager and totally wrapped up in it.

What I love about “Now then”’is that it’s one of those innocuous phrases  (and a bit nonsensical if you think about it) but it says so much about Offiah’s potential making that break. With 99.9% of other players you’d comment on the break but it wouldn’t mean a try was on - “Now then” sugggests it might be.  Quite a nice, Northern phrase too.

Coupled with the roar a second or two earlier as Offiah first breaks (turn your speakers up), it makes for a perfectly timed bit of commentary in my view.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, remember that day well.   Although I hope we move away from the Northern flat-cap stereotype thing with commentaries etc, I will always get a warm fuzzy feeling remembering watching RL in the 90s as a teenager and Ray French’s mannerisms and style on a Saturday afternoon for a cup game.   A quick search on YouTube provides some nostalgic moments for those who grew up in that era...   although it was painful to only have one decent team to admire throughout that period.

Jon Champion did present a better image of the sport in his brief commentating stint, as does Dave Woods these days.

EDIT:   that clip shows just what an entertainer Offiah could be, in terms of his magical step and pace, and also his cringeworthy theatrics afterwards!

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

"That's not a try.. that's a miracle!".. Good old Rabbits when he was at the very top of his game.

Also up there is Eddie warring's incomprehensible comments after Roger Milward scores the winning try at the SCG, and not forgetting the "can he go?.. can he go?" commentary for Clive Sullivans world cup final try.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Not heard it since so might be way off the mark but as i remember it:

"Thats Kevin Ward.... he's....he's .......just trampling over the Aussie defence....just trampling......"  One of the 1988 tests.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

This video has the Phil Ford and Henderson Gill clips in!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Not strictly commentary, but match-related.
Prime Minister John Major: What's that?
Billy McGinty: A pineapple ring.
John Major: That's the last time I eat one of those.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Regal Trophy 93/4 season Cas beat Wigan 33 - 2 , with about 10 mins to go French was saying that Wigan could still come back and win this.

Another from French , on the eve of the 98 Challenge Cup final Sheffield Eagles v Wigan there was a preview prog the night before the game ......... '' Wigan will be polishing their winners medals already ''

3 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Regal Trophy 93/4 season Cas beat Wigan 33 - 2 , with about 10 mins to go French was saying that Wigan could still come back and win this.

Another from French , on the eve of the 98 Challenge Cup final Sheffield Eagles v Wigan there was a preview prog the night before the game ......... '' Wigan will be polishing their winners medals already ''

That match is up on Youtube

20 hours ago, DavidM said:

I miss Rabbits , Gus and Sterlo on commentary  , that’s the only downside 

You'll still find them on Youtube  highlights of games they are commentating on.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

That match is up on Youtube

Somewhere on YouTube is the match that same season (Premiership final?) where Dean Sampson breaks Kelvin Skerrett’s jaw and Skerrett just stands up and stares him out.   He was one mean b******, Skerrett!

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

9 minutes ago, iangidds said:

He can run this foocker is still my favourite, prime time tv on grandstand!

Was that Ray trying to say ‘hooker’ and getting his consonants mixed up?   Think I remember something similar in a cup game a few years back.

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

Ray French - "Why, oh why, every time we come to Headingley, there's a dog on the pitch!"

Cue the BBC camera team focussing on the dog, missing some really important match-turning moment.

Archived