Favourite commentary

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

Might be an urban myth but seem to have memory of "He opens his legs and shows his class".. sounds quite Ray French-esque.

That was David Coleman commentating on Cuban runner Alberto Juantorena in the 1976 Montreal Olympics.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has to be the Warren Smith 2012 Rabbitohs v Roosters commentary - Watch NRL has this in the last "The Greatest" show. The Roosters had nicked a win in Round 1 with a last minute Minicello try, and Smith was wondering whether the Rabbitohs could do the same. 10 points behind with 2 minutes to go, they score then return the kickoff for Adam Reynolds to score at the hooter. As he scores, Smith declares "You can take me now, I have seen it all". https://www.facebook.com/nrl/videos/10153449145268074/

'98 State of Origin, game 1

Rabs Warren: "And the try scorer is Tonie Carroll! Well, what a game of Rugby League! They're behind by one point, and Lockyer could win the game for them!"

Peter Sterling: "Oh, he'll win the game for them, don't worry about that..."

No mention of “Wide to West”? I’m surprised. I know plenty of other non-Saints fans who can quote it from start to finish, possibly the iconic moment in the SL era for me. 

As a kid in the 90s (shame about Wigan winning everything while we seemed to lose every week), I just can’t help but smile at the thought of Ray French’s commentary, even though he’s largely infuriating in the radio these days. Special mention for that crane that the BBC used to take to games that provided no purpose other than a few random aerial shots way, way, WAY above the ground. 

31 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

No mention of “Wide to West”?

What, apart from the mention of "Wide to West" and a YouTube link to the actual footage. Nope, not a word...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Ray French (again) calling Toulouse Hooker Ken Bailey instead of Kane Bentley during their fantastic CC  cup run. 

Ray Warren getting Karmichael Hunt all wrong .....

23 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

What, apart from the mention of "Wide to West" and a YouTube link to the actual footage. Nope, not a word...

And I swear I scanned the thread twice to make sure nobody had mentioned it yet! In my defence, I posted in the pre-70th minute period of the Leeds-Wigan game so my eyes were bleeding at the time.  

We talk about refs , and although it’s footy it did  make me laugh when the commentator asked Ron Atkinson about the officials performance and big Ron said ‘I never comment on referees and I’m not making an exception for that burke’

On 14/04/2018 at 7:00 PM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Eddie and Stevo at their biased best in Melbourne in '92

"They call him the Chief but, boy oh boy, Great Britain had plenty of Indians going at him there"

"It was a mile forward but I don't care!"

Stevo’s “Skill. Skill. Little bit of Lady Luck” is up there in my list.

7 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Here it is....

Cracks me up every time ?

-<<<puts on Ray accent>>>

“Ha!   I...  errr...  Love it!   Errr....Cheers”

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

On 13/04/2018 at 1:30 PM, nkpom said:

Has to be the Warren Smith 2012 Rabbitohs v Roosters commentary - Watch NRL has this in the last "The Greatest" show. The Roosters had nicked a win in Round 1 with a last minute Minicello try, and Smith was wondering whether the Rabbitohs could do the same. 10 points behind with 2 minutes to go, they score then return the kickoff for Adam Reynolds to score at the hooter. As he scores, Smith declares "You can take me now, I have seen it all". https://www.facebook.com/nrl/videos/10153449145268074/

Remember this game well. Was in a beach bar in Thailand and had given up on the game as it seemed done. All of a sudden I hear an Aussie in the background- ‘go little Issac, ******* go’. Think there’s was only me and home knew what was going on, there was a lot of Chang consumed after that!

2 hours ago, Shaggy said:

How is this almost 18 years ago?

Maybe it feels like only yesterday because Eddie Hemmings mentions it every single time Saints are on TV? ?

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

18 hours ago, Bilko said:

Darrell Eastlake passed away today. Of Henderson Gill "he does a bit of a boogie" fame. RIP. 

Sad news , really good enthusiastic commentator . Of course we remember that Test , but he did plenty of origins and I love his words when Bella and Harragon were going for it ...” nothing wrong with that , two big fellas having a go , letting off a bit of steam ...”  If only nowadays 

Archived