Blood Pressure

For those reading the thread still and putting up with the whining from me, another question for the TRL faithful:

My friend is a Canadian ex-navy type who suffered from heavy metal poisoninig due to his engineering work.  Nothing has helped him until he was given a prescription for CBD (the non-intoxicating part of marijuana), he's now a different bloke and many of his issues have receded into insignificance compared to the medical trouble he was in only a few years ago.

He's recommended that I give it a go to reducing my BP now that it's legally available in the UK and I'm struggling to find any other way to get my BP down to stable levels.  I'm going to have a chat with my GP about it later this week but I know from experience that most British GPs have no experience with it or its use.  So, anyone else use it in and have any comments on its use?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ckn said:

For those reading the thread still and putting up with the whining from me, another question for the TRL faithful:

My friend is a Canadian ex-navy type who suffered from heavy metal poisoninig due to his engineering work.  Nothing has helped him until he was given a prescription for CBD (the non-intoxicating part of marijuana), he's now a different bloke and many of his issues have receded into insignificance compared to the medical trouble he was in only a few years ago.

He's recommended that I give it a go to reducing my BP now that it's legally available in the UK and I'm struggling to find any other way to get my BP down to stable levels.  I'm going to have a chat with my GP about it later this week but I know from experience that most British GPs have no experience with it or its use.  So, anyone else use it in and have any comments on its use?

Get some hobnobs in.

Edit

I'm advised by a friend

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

Get some hobnobs in.

Hobnobs with added CBD?  Damn... now there's a compelling selling point!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Had lunch with some former neighbours from years back and he was extolling the virtues of this CBD stuff from Holland and Barratt. His wife was less than convinced, though. 

Do you monitor and record your BP throughout the day?  Standing? Sitting? Left arm? Right arm?

On 10/29/2018 at 2:10 PM, ckn said:

Craig bought this on holiday in Sorrento at end of August (shop was doing a roaring trade) Bought it to counteract my anxiety and have to say now I am  a lot more relaxed. Back home I have been buying it  at medium strength. In italy i was advised no to take if diabetic. Hope this helps.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

On 10/29/2018 at 2:10 PM, ckn said:

It's regulated as a food supplement and strength/ quality will vary from brand to brand.

It can also interact with medicines so if you're on anything pharmaceutical chat over with your pharmacist. Although it's not a licensed herbal medicine, getting an appointment with a qualified herbalist might be a good bet.

The science on it is a bit sketchy/ early days, but some people report it's helped them with anxiety and stress, and even as an alternative to anti-psychotics.  Some ok studies support those claims.

if it works for you, it works for you!

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

On 10/29/2018 at 2:38 AM, Niels said:

I hope you are ok Craig.

I was in hospital last week with a kidney stone. The pain was excrutiating and I had a scan. 

The wards I was on were crowded and there were no beds available until later so I had to sit a lot. As usual the staff were excellent. 

It was about this time last year l was suffering from kidney stones. I tend to get them every ten years or so. I ended up in the excellent Freeman Hospital in Newcastle, had ultra sound treatment which l found deeply unpleasant but which worked. It was at that point l de died to get a grip of my life, and subsequently lost 4 stones. Lots of benefits, but had my blood pressure taken at my local medical centre where it was recorded as 120/68. I could weep with relief! Keep going Craig, l believe that persistence and hard work always pays off. 

2 hours ago, Stevo said:

It's regulated as a food supplement and strength/ quality will vary from brand to brand.

It can also interact with medicines so if you're on anything pharmaceutical chat over with your pharmacist. Although it's not a licensed herbal medicine, getting an appointment with a qualified herbalist might be a good bet.

The science on it is a bit sketchy/ early days, but some people report it's helped them with anxiety and stress, and even as an alternative to anti-psychotics.  Some ok studies support those claims.

if it works for you, it works for you!

Ahem, I am a scientist, perhaps I can help,

.....if it seems to work, then it probably does.  If it makes you thing you are happier, then you actually are. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 5 months later...

I've just been accepted for a medical trial of an implanted permanent device that COULD remove my need for any BP medication.  I'm now on 4 tablets and my BP is just not shifting down to normal ranges.  It'd be good to get shot of both the high BP and tablets.

Archived