Drop kicked conversion

Was Sneyd's drop kicked conversion legit?  The laws say this

Goal – 6. A goal is scored if the whole of the ball at any time how scored during its flight passes on the full over the opponents’ cross bar towards the dead ball line after being kicked by a player (and not touching or being touched in flight by any other player) in any of these
circumstances:–

(a) by a place kick after a try has been scored and counts two points

(b) by a place kick or a drop kick when a penalty kick has been awarded and counts two points.

This seems explicit that a penalty can be dropped but not a conversion.

Although the International Rules specifically mention it:

6. A goal is scored if the whole of the ball at any time during its flight passes on the full over the opponents’ cross bar  towards the dead ball line after being kicked by a player (and not touching or being touched in flight by any other player) in any of these circumstances:–

(a) by a place kick or a drop kick after a try has been scored and counts two points

(b) by a place kick or a drop kick when a penalty kick has been awarded and counts two points.

I'm trying to dig out my copy of the (UK domestic) laws from a few years ago to see what it says in those.

I've seen it disallowed in the NRL too.

Seems like an ideal opportunity for superleague to do one thing, the NRL another and the international rules something else again. We don't have enough of those.

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

Drop kick conversion is quicker and is better than the silly rule that you can forgo an attempt at goal....

If you are not allowed to forgo the kick at goal players will just put it on the ground tap it towards the posts pick it up and run it back to the centre spot.

Being allowed to decline the conversion is actually a very good law which Wigan failed to take advantage of against Saints on Good Friday, had Wigan turned down the kick that game would have had one hell of a finish.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

If you are not allowed to forgo the kick at goal players will just put it on the ground tap it towards the posts pick it up and run it back to the centre spot.

Being allowed to decline the conversion is actually a very good law which Wigan failed to take advantage of against Saints on Good Friday, had Wigan turned down the kick that game would have had one hell of a finish.

And the same logic can be applied for the drop kick conversion: it is fast...used in rugby 7's all the time by a team that is behind, wants the quick conversion and then quick kickoff.  Exact same logic. 

4 minutes ago, Padge said:

A drop kick at goal would have made more sense...could have scored 2 points then only needed a drop goal/penalty

Just now, Kayakman said:

And the same logic can be applied for the drop kick conversion: it is fast...used in rugby 7's all the time by a team that is behind, wants the quick conversion and then quick kickoff.  Exact same logic. 

Exactly no need to wait 30secs for time off... just run back a bit quick attempt at drop goal and then run back for the restart...

Or how about the clock just stops when a try is scored and starts again at the kick-off? 

Saves any faffing about with running a minute off the clock, taking a drop kick conversion or foregoing an attempt at a conversion.

42 minutes ago, yipyee said:

A drop kick at goal would have made more sense...could have scored 2 points then only needed a drop goal/penalty

Exactly no need to wait 30secs for time off... just run back a bit quick attempt at drop goal and then run back for the restart...

Most of the time wasted at a conversion is waiting for the touch judges to get into position. For the conversion and then the kick off taking a drop instead of a place kick won’t change that. 

13 hours ago, Kayakman said:

In the Wigan Saints game the kick was irrelevant, if Wigan kicked the goal they still had to score again to win and a penalty wasn't enough, they had to score a try. All it did was eat up the time Wigan had to try and get the winning score ( a converted try ), taking the kick left them no time to get a try.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

41 minutes ago, Padge said:

In the Wigan Saints game the kick was irrelevant, if Wigan kicked the goal they still had to score again to win and a penalty wasn't enough, they had to score a try. All it did was eat up the time Wigan had to try and get the winning score ( a converted try ), taking the kick left them no time to get a try.

I certainly support the rule that they don't have to kick the conversion if they don't want to....its the right decision in that case, a quick drop kick conversion is an option in another scenario, or the traditional conversion....these are the traditional decisions of the Captain on the field and I support that.

On 4/11/2018 at 1:37 PM, Gisburn said:

Was Sneyd's drop kicked conversion legit?  The laws say this

Goal – 6. A goal is scored if the whole of the ball at any time how scored during its flight passes on the full over the opponents’ cross bar towards the dead ball line after being kicked by a player (and not touching or being touched in flight by any other player) in any of these
circumstances:–

(a) by a place kick after a try has been scored and counts two points

(b) by a place kick or a drop kick when a penalty kick has been awarded and counts two points.

This seems explicit that a penalty can be dropped but not a conversion.

It saved Sneyd having his usual wash and brush up and chat with the tee carrier before deciding to put the ball on the tee.

3 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

So is it allowed or not?

Don't most of these arguments about what is allowed end with us collectively shrugging our shoulders and agree that the laws provide enough latitude (or confusion) for almost anything to be permitted if the ref is feeling that way inclined on the day?

Taking Gisburn's OP at face-value, you would have to say no, it isn't in that context.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I remember a few years back a Castleford player taking a drop kick conversion. It went over but the ref said he couldn't do it and it count as declining the kick. So it was definately outlawed not so long back.

That doesn't mean they havent changed their minds on it though.

On 12/04/2018 at 1:11 PM, scotchy1 said:

I get why they dont just stop the clock because it increases the pressure on the kicker, but we stop it after a minute anyway. So we should just give the kicker a minute, (during which time the VR can check anything and everything) and then stop the clock and restart it when the kick-off is taken.

In the wigan game there was i think 40 seconds that ran off between the goal kick being taken and the kick-off. Thats nearly a set. Between the try being scored and the kick-off i think it was about 3:30m. Thats about 4 sets. On average theres about 6/7 tries per game, at 3 minutes a try thats nearly a quarter of the game we are losing.

I think that in French ru you get a minute. If it's not over in that time, it's a miss. BUT I disagree with kicking whilst the vr checks stuff. That takes all the pressure off 

On 13/04/2018 at 7:35 AM, northamptoncougar said:

So is it allowed or not?

Yes it is.  A few years ago it was, I think, Chris Thoman who did it for Hudds and it wasn’t counted as at the time illegal.  It was changed shortly after and is now allowed for a conversion.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

13 hours ago, DavidM said:

Why are you not allowed to try and charge down a kick like in Union  if you start ten metres away ?

The question you should be asking David is “Why are you allowed to charge down a kick in RU when you can’t in RL?”

Archived