"Recruitment news"

I didn't know a lot about Turgut but he's a former England Academy captain who has played quite a few games for Hull (including 20 last year) but sounds like hasn't kicked on yet and established himself in their first team, though he's still only 22.

He's out of contract at the end of the season and by no means certain to have it renewed so it makes sense for us to have a look at him, as we have seen with the likes of Briscoe and Farrell initial loan periods can be useful ways of getting a SL player's foor through the door at our club before they are released.

Just a bit of info on him from someone who has seen a fair bit of him over the last two years.

Firstly. If you are bringing him in as a centre I think you are making a mistake. He has filled in there occasionally for us if we have had injuries mid game but he has never really shown any signs of being a decent centre. Out and out back row imo.

He is a good defender. He plays with aggression and likes to really get in his opponents face and impose himself when he is defending. Sometimes this can be a good thing. Sometimes he can overstep the line. He got a yellow for putting an elbow in Walmsleys face on the floor last year iirc.

In attack, he runs decent lines, he has ok hands and ok speed. But he just doesn't make much impact. He doesnt make many tackle busts or yards after contact. At championship level he might have more joy, and I will be interested to see how he gets on, but at SL level I could only describe him as steady. There is a player in there somewhere. But he needs to develop physically imo.

Jordan Lane and Jack Downs seem to have gone past him in the pecking order so this deal could be good for everyone.

Archived