Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

11 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm not convinced your memory is that great, with respect.

Call it age I think but having slept on it I recall now it was Brad Fittler at 13 for the Aussies who was unceremoniously yanked back from scoring a certain try?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall that GB teams in the past had players from Scotland and Wales. The first WC was won by GB with a Scottish captain. Plenty of Welsh players have been involved over the years. Today, wouldn't the team just be English players? If that's the case, I don't see the point other than a walk down memory lane. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Despite identifying that preparation and time is vital to make an international event work, we are still fannying around trying to sort stuff out for this season, nevermind Oct/Nov 19. This sport never learns and deserves all the criticism it gets. The entire programme leading up to 2021 should be confirmed already; not necessary the finer detail but tour locations and competitions should be in the diary now.

11 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I recall that GB teams in the past had players from Scotland and Wales. The first WC was won by GB with a Scottish captain. Plenty of Welsh players have been involved over the years. Today, wouldn't the team just be English players? If that's the case, I don't see the point other than a walk down memory lane. 

36 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Danny Brough was English. He played for England once against the Exiles. He just didn't get in the team ahead of Sinfield and Widdop. Him being Scottish and getting a chance to play for GB wouldn't have made a difference.

Unless you think wearing the GB shirt will give the players more talent than wearing the England shirt, I can't imagine it making any difference at all. Same players. Same coaching staff. Same game. Pretty much same record. What's the point?

The incentive is there for playing for the home nations instead of only England and still be able to play at the highest level / otherwise we can forget about ever having meaningful world cups with successful northern hemisphere teams. As for Danny Brough even that well known and opinionated pundit G.Schofield said Broughy should have been in the England side - it is no coincidence that his more recent loss of form is a reason why the Fart-owners are struggling.

42 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

Call it age I think but having slept on it I recall now it was Brad Fittler at 13 for the Aussies who was unceremoniously yanked back from scoring a certain try?

Maybe, but Mike Gregory scored hia legendary try at SFS, and the Moz sending off was in an Ashes after Lindsay had left the RFL. He wasnt responsible for the binning of the Ashes.

22 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Richard Lewis binned the Lions concept in 2007 with the intention of it being a touring side similar to the RU Lions.

And before that, in 2004 the 3N was introduced which replaced the regular ashes series'. Certainly nowt to do with Lindsay.

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Despite identifying that preparation and time is vital to make an international event work, we are still fannying around trying to sort stuff out for this season, nevermind Oct/Nov 19. This sport never learns and deserves all the criticism it gets. The entire programme leading up to 2021 should be confirmed already; not necessary the finer detail but tour locations and competitions should be in the diary now.

I really think the outline structure should be arranged, I am extremely jealous of the RU structure which has the 6N early in the year, plus the Autumn internationals, plus Summer tours. Two windows where games will be played at home for UK based teams.

But one thing that did surprise me is that the actual Autumn internationals in Union are announced quite late in the day. For example, Wales have just announced theirs, and Scotland do not have their tickets on sale yet. This would be ripped if it was RL.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I really think the outline structure should be arranged, I am extremely jealous of the RU structure which has the 6N early in the year, plus the Autumn internationals, plus Summer tours. Two windows where games will be played at home for UK based teams.

But one thing that did surprise me is that the actual Autumn internationals in Union are announced quite late in the day. For example, Wales have just announced theirs, and Scotland do not have their tickets on sale yet. This would be ripped if it was RL.

When stuff is set in stone year in, year out you can have that luxury. I would imagine multiple year corporates, memberships/debentures and sponsorships are already in places. They are also at one venue for all games.

When you don't do a single thing on an annual cycle (like England RL home fixtures for example) then you are starting at base every single time. 

25 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Yeah but in RU they know roughly when and pretty much exactly where they will be playing, all thats left to be confirmed is the who. We generally know none of that (and i think the RFL were pretty well acclaimed by people on here for announcing the NZ details quite early)

We don't even know what the RFL see the Lions concept as, never mind actual game details. There is also a big difference between people travelling to cardiff and people travelling to canberra

Hence my opening line.

But the RFL were ripped for not having the Wembley tickets on sale as early as usual due to a ticket system upgrade. 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Hence my opening line.

But the RFL were ripped for not having the Wembley tickets on sale as early as usual due to a ticket system upgrade. 

When Wembley is as oversubscribed as some of those autumn games then we can release them any time we like. This year's final crowd is in danger of being an absolute shocker unless there is a fair wind with competing teams. 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

When Wembley is as oversubscribed as some of those autumn games then we can release them any time we like. This year's final crowd is in danger of being an absolute shocker unless there is a fair wind with competing teams. 

What makes you say that about the final? You think we have lost sales by having them on sale a bit later?

And the Autumn internationals I am referring to are not over-subscribed. Whilst the crowds are very impressive, the likes of Wales had thousands of unsold seats last year.

My point is that these fixtures have been announced, and yet the tickets are not on sale. Scotland RU's site just claims that tickets will be on sales in Spring/Summer. 

I suspect they have key dates that they find most effective for ticket sales, but this approach gets a slating in RL circles.

I'm not saying it is an approach that we should follow, but maybe just getting tickets on sale as early as possible isn't the best approach, as that doesn't appear to be many other's approach.

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What makes you say that about the final? You think we have lost sales by having them on sale a bit later?

And the Autumn internationals I am referring to are not over-subscribed. Whilst the crowds are very impressive, the likes of Wales had thousands of unsold seats last year.

My point is that these fixtures have been announced, and yet the tickets are not on sale. Scotland RU's site just claims that tickets will be on sales in Spring/Summer. 

I suspect they have key dates that they find most effective for ticket sales, but this approach gets a slating in RL circles.

I'm not saying it is an approach that we should follow, but maybe just getting tickets on sale as early as possible isn't the best approach, as that doesn't appear to be many other's approach.

No I think the core general sales for the final have been slipping each year. By letting the opening of the pre-sales fall later it is another habit lost for some people potentially. We should be pushing hard the other way for the cup final, finding ways to generate another 15-25k general sales but that is a whole new thread.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Maybe, but Mike Gregory scored hia legendary try at SFS, and the Moz sending off was in an Ashes after Lindsay had left the RFL. He wasnt responsible for the binning of the Ashes.

Thanks,  The memory cells do need a spring clean! 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

It's already been decided that the GB squad will be the England team with 2-3 players each selected from Wales,Scotland & Ireland...so a quota GB squad....

Disappointed Ireland at the least didn't distance themselves from this, hopefully it is because RLI (and Wales & Scotland) get a cut of any profit.. but I doubt it.

As for tour games I'd like to see a 30+ man squad selected with mid-week games. (We all know I'd prefer a full Pacific Cup thrown in around it, but being more realistic).

Fri - PNG V GB - Port Moresby

Tue - Tonga V GB - Mt Smart

Sat - NZ V GB - Auckland/Christchurch

Wed - Fiji V GB - Suva or Sydney

Sat - Australia V GB (Ashes) - Newcastle

Wed - Aboriginal All Stars V GB - Townsville

Sun - Ashes 2 - Perth

Wed - Samoa V GB - Penrith

Sun - Ashes 3 - Brisbane

Venues are just examples and could be switched around to ease travel etc.

45 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

As I understand it the RLi still aren't 100% on board with GB yet..

And they certainly won't be playing that many games Jim...it'll be 4 or 5 tops

Yehp I know, if GB tours are returning though it should be with an extended squad and mid-week matches. We'll have to see if it grows in to that I guess.

23 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Yehp I know, if GB tours are returning though it should be with an extended squad and mid-week matches. We'll have to see if it grows in to that I guess.

It's out of season, so why would it ever grow into that?

Archived