Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

Nothing wrong in remembering the past Harry.Yes,the world has moved on,thank goodness.I do not mind being a "flat capper" but I do realise the game has moved on and your good old players like Terry Clawson et.al would not be able to compete in todays game.4 or 5 pints before the game and a good sing song in the scrum,those were the days L.O.L.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

That's not true either...it was moved to 2013 to avoid the 2012 London Olympics..

I was always under the impression it was to ensure the RLWC would subsequently be in years which did not contain major events (such as the WC, OG etc)

5 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So, let me get this straight. You’d hate a tour for a team called Great Britain but if said team, who’d include the same players for Great Britain, was called England instead, you’d be all over it?! I don’t get that. 

Correct. MY country is Great Britain, and I look forward to us beating Australia, ALL of Australia, not just a Queensland / New South Wales Select.

By my count there are 8 parliaments in Australia and 8 Prime Ministers.  They still manage to play under 1 banner, despite their differences and prejudices and corruprions.

5 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

What “desire to strengthen the game” comes from playing as England? 

If Regan Grace were to score 30 Super League tries next year, he’s excluded from International recognition under your idea because he’s legitimately Welsh. How does that strengthen the game by excluding players and calling it a “fantasy”?

Yes.    And if Gildart had slipped into an Italian shirt, he would not currently be eligible for an England cap, nor a possible GB one.  

These jokers from the RLF are pathetic.

38 minutes ago, philipw said:

I was always under the impression it was to ensure the RLWC would subsequently be in years which did not contain major events (such as the WC, OG etc)

Yep. First priority obviously was not to clash with the RU world cup, so that left a choice of three years. It then makes most sense to choose the year that is both mid way between the RU world cups, and also not a year that has Olympics, football world cup/euros, etc. I think they made the perfect choice.

On 9/21/2018 at 4:24 PM, Jim Prendle said:

If we can't have a "proper" GB team because none of the other nations have any players of enough quality to be included, what is the point of continuing with teams such as Wales & Scotland?

Nostalgia viewed through perfumed rose tinted glasses

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Correct. MY country is Great Britain, and I look forward to us beating Australia, ALL of Australia, not just a Queensland / New South Wales Select.

By my count there are 8 parliaments in Australia and 8 Prime Ministers.  They still manage to play under 1 banner, despite their differences and prejudices and corruprions.

I'm not sure the Welsh and Scots would be very happy to see their countries compared to Australian states.

It would be great to have strong(er) national sides from Scotland, Ireland and Wales but it’s a pipe dream.

We have two sides in the current league system from those countries, one are currently on a thirty-ish consecutive losing streak, having had 100+ points stuck on them seven or eight times in a year, and another side who are a middling team in the third tier and have relied on players from north-west England. I’m not blaming the two Welsh clubs but I’m sure, like more areas of the game, they’re suffering from a lack of investment into the grassroots of the game in that country. 

Is there even a presence in Scotland? Aberdeen went bust, didn’t they? What’s the rest of Scotland like for Rugby League? What sort of numbers do they get for juniors in Scotland? 

I will say that I know nothing of Rugby League in Ireland. What sort of participation levels do they have? Have we ever had an Irish participant in the Challenge Cup? What’s the strategic plan there?

Whether they call themselves England, Great Britain or Bennett’s Bad Boys, who cares as long as we get a decent International calendar together? 

4 hours ago, damp squib said:

I'm not sure the Welsh and Scots would be very happy to see their countries compared to Australian states.

And why not? They have PMs and parliaments and laws and elections. But they play as Australia. Last time I looked Australia was a country and so was the GB.

By all means England play Scotland and Wales. And let Lancs play Yorks.

22 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

And why not? They have PMs and parliaments and laws and elections. But they play as Australia. Last time I looked Austria was a country and so was the GB.

Austria?

37 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

And why not? They have PMs and parliaments and laws and elections. But they play as Australia. Last time I looked Austria was a country and so was the GB.

GB isn't a country. The UK is.

Anyway its fairly obvious from your post why the Scottish independence movement is growing so much.

1 minute ago, damp squib said:

GB isn't a country. The UK is.

Anyway its fairly obvious from your post why the Scottish independence movement is growing so much.

Thats why GB does not take part in the Olympics is it?

Well thanks for the advice.  There was me thinking their catchphrase was 'Team GB' and they use the web site teamgb.com.   And Andy Murray carried the flag in 2016.

9 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Excuse my ignorance and confusion(or lack of knowledge), I see this on these boards regularly.  Are you saying that England, along with Scotland and Wales are not countries in their own right, yet  they are often seen in international sports events competing as England Scotland and Wales.  How does this work???

3 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

And why not? They have PMs and parliaments and laws and elections. But they play as Australia. Last time I looked Australia was a country and so was the GB.

Not quite, the States have Premiers, and the Territories have Chief Ministers.  But they are all Constitutionally part of Australia, which came into existance in 1901 with the Federation of the states and territories.  Prior to 1901, the States were still each separate colonies of Britain.  Federation, through an Act of British Parliament  brought them together as the nation of Australia, however (don't know why, politics I guess) the States continued to maintain their parliaments and existing legislations apart from what was specified in the Australia Constitution.    

But I am still genuinely confused... is England a country, or is Great Britain a country.

8 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

There was me thinking their catchphrase was 'Team GB' and they use the web site teamgb.com.   And Andy Murray carried the flag in 2016.

Largely team GB is as much a fallacy as GB itself. NI hangs on to the coat tails for dear life, the Welsh just love being treated badly as long as they get to play yawn, and the Scots haven't been brave-heart enough to take the plunge. So claiming this disparate, dysfunctional group of nations as your country fits right in.

And the main reason it happens in athletics is so they appear high on the medal board.

Nicked medieval bits of other people's stuff, a  Georgian conquest, a made up flag so royals have plenty of nice places to live and we can make the Welsh and Scots regiments do all the empire building dirty work.

Sounds perfect to me!

Bring it back. now!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, johnny plath said:

Not quite, the States have Premiers, and the Territories have Chief Ministers.  But they are all Constitutionally part of Australia, which came into existance in 1901 with the Federation of the states and territories.  Prior to 1901, the States were still each separate colonies of Britain.  Federation, through an Act of British Parliament  brought them together as the nation of Australia, however (don't know why, politics I guess) the States continued to maintain their parliaments and existing legislations apart from what was specified in the Australia Constitution.    

But I am still genuinely confused... is England a country, or is Great Britain a country.

It used to be that you could say that England and Scotland were countries, Wales was a principality and Northern Ireland a province. That may be technically true now but it's far more common to refer to all four as nations, in particular in BBC language to differentiate them from regions.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived