Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

47 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

the Ashes series was the iconic part of our game, even those dark days of the 80's series when Australia completely transformed the game and left us miles behind everyone looked forward to the next encounter with relish. 

The change to summer rugby did a great deal of harm to the international game, I know lots of people who were definatley going on the the '96 tour, but the switch in season's scupperd it, I honestly believe if the momentum had been maintained the international game would be in a much better state of health today.

Even with the change to summer rugby, I think the Ashes very much could and should be a main part of the international rugby league calendar. I know that old style Kangaroo tours are no longer possible, but a three match series with a game against France should be easily viable for the Aussies. I hope it happens from 2020 onwards.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I agree with you that there isn't any point to GB returning right now, unless (as I have repeatedly said) it is a permanent return as our national team. It makes no sense to bring GB back for one tour, and then for them to disappear for another four years. That is utter madness, and even more so given the current lack of players from Wales and Scotland.

As for the Aussies not wanting to play GB, I don't agree with your analysis there. It's the same players no matter what we're called. The Aussies know we're a strong team and a worthy opponent (we proved that as recently as last year in the world cup final). I'm not suggesting that they should be especially excited by us playing as GB - there is no reason for them to be - but that isn't the same as them having a reason not to play. We're the biggest other rugby league playing nation, so they absolutely need to explain why they won't play even one match against us when we're in their back yard. We're not talking about them having to travel to us.

Is this just a case of them being stubborn because they didn't get their own way about touring here in 2019? Either way, they need to realise that rugby league is the loser here. Not just GB RL, but rugby league as a sport. It's a missed opportunity and rugby league can't afford to be doing that.

Good response but why would Australia be rushing to host GB when they couldn't sell out a world cup opener or final against England. Clearly the demand isn't there in Aus. GB playing against the PIs will at least help spread the game and to be honest is a much more interesting match up to neutrals like myself.

34 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Good response but why would Australia be rushing to host GB when they couldn't sell out a world cup opener or final against England. Clearly the demand isn't there in Aus. GB playing against the PIs will at least help spread the game and to be honest is a much more interesting match up to neutrals like myself.

They may not have sold out, but the attendances were still decent by international rugby league standards. 22000 in Melbourne for the group game, and 40000 for the final. I'm happy to play other teams, but I just can't get my head around a GB team touring for the first time in years, and the Australians not even wanting to play one match. I'd be saying the same if it was England touring, so it's not just because it's GB returning. We could have played NZ one less time, and Australia instead. That wouldn't have affected any of the other games.

6 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

They may not have sold out, but the attendances were still decent by international rugby league standards. 22000 in Melbourne for the group game, and 40000 for the final. I'm happy to play other teams, but I just can't get my head around a GB team touring for the first time in years, and the Australians not even wanting to play one match. I'd be saying the same if it was England touring, so it's not just because it's GB returning. We could have played NZ one less time, and Australia instead. That wouldn't have affected any of the other games.

Yeah you would think the Aus players would want it too. At the end of the day there will always be another occasion to play Aus whereas there may be no other opportunities to play the PIs outside the world cup for the foreseeable future. Plus who knows how long the PIs will remain this competitive, in union Samoa have gone from beating the likes of Aus ,Scotland and Wales away from home to struggling to beat tier 3 nations. League needs to jump on this now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 10:23 PM, 17 stone giant said:

Is there any possibility that we might stay as Great Britain for The Ashes series in 2020?

No, sounds too much like common sense.  I can't see the RFL going along with it, the packed stadiums, the higher UK wide media profile, the passion of an Ashes battle would give the game too high a profile.

2 minutes ago, BringbackGB said:

No, sounds too much like common sense.  I can't see the RFL going along with it, the packed stadiums, the higher UK wide media profile, the passion of an Ashes battle would give the game too high a profile.

Well, it's still going to be The Ashes - just with England and not Great Britain. I was just thinking that maybe with Great Britain returning next year, that they might revert back to the old system of splitting into England, Wales, etc. for the World Cup only.

3 hours ago, BringbackGB said:

The highest attendance in the last Ashes Series over here between GB vs Australia. It wasn’t any better in 2001 when they failed to fill at least two Tests. 

The heady heights of 1990/1994 are long gone. We’ll still have the same lack of media attention, lack of corporate interest and lack of advertising to the wider UK public. A name change isn’t going to change that - it’s a pipe dream.

15 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

The highest attendance in the last Ashes Series over here between GB vs Australia. It wasn’t any better in 2001 when they failed to fill at least two Tests. 

The heady heights of 1990/1994 are long gone. We’ll still have the same lack of media attention, lack of corporate interest and lack of advertising to the wider UK public. A name change isn’t going to change that - it’s a pipe dream.

Sadly this is true. 

That being said, Oz v England over 3 games could sell 45k plus in London, 30k plus in Leeds and 20k plus in Wigan.. ... Could do 100k over the 3 games if the series goes 1-1 or 2-0 to England as the 3rd test would then sell out. 

It should be Great Britain in rugby league. I love England in football, cricket, and rugby union and I would never want a permanent GB team in any of those sports,, but I think we're better in rugby league as Great Britain, because Scotland and Wales will never amount to anything. In 50 years time they will both still be garbage.

• 2 weeks later...

The BBC have penned an article about sporting events to look forward to in 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/46608285

No mention of rugby league in it. I would usually be critical, but it's a problem of our own making. What could we put? "The GB Lions are touring for the first time in x years, but we don't know when, where, or the opponents".

Our lack of organisation harms our ambitions of growth.

2 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

The BBC have penned an article about sporting events to look forward to in 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/46608285

No mention of rugby league in it. I would usually be critical, but it's a problem of our own making. What could we put? "The GB Lions are touring for the first time in x years, but we don't know when, where, or the opponents".

Our lack of organisation harms our ambitions of growth.

The incompetence of our governing bodies really beggars belief.

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Australia, New Zealand and Tonga are all going to compete for a trophy.

England (I won’t call them GB) will play Australia, New Zealand and Tonga.

Why are we not just playing a Four Nations tournament? All the Four Nations held previously have been massively successful, why has the tournament seemingly been scrapped?

GB won’t be playing Australia but your point about the Four Nations stands.

I notice the Oceania Cup doesn’t have a set of fixtures yet either.

If the Lions tour doesn’t come off then maybe England can be squeezed in somewhere?

I'm getting so fed up with this now. We are 10 months out from the tour and absolutely nothing is known about this thing. I am sure, like myself, there are loads of fans up for going to this but it is a long way away and costs a lot of money and takes a lot of planning to travel round to each game and we need time to sort this stuff out, not to mention needing to know some dates to book holidays off from work (I have to book holidays well in advance). Well it's getting towards the point now where I for one will not be going.

31 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Don't be surprised if "GB" are invited to play in the world 9s instead of the 4 home nations getting individual invites..

Whilst it would be preferable if the GB concept was kept to an absolute minimum, the plus is it open up 3 spots in the tournament for other nations.

Hopefully we use that to get some diversity in the tournament and don't just let in Cook Islands, Niue and another Pacific Island.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

I was watching the first 1982 ashes test today on YouTube. The pictures (and graphics) were from the BBC but the studio piece and commentary were Australian.

Despite the score flashing up on the screen as Great Britain the commentary team and studio analysts referred to GB as England consistently through the whole match.

I thought this was interesting as one of the arguments for a return to Great Britain was the traction it would have down under as a 'traditional' brand.

Great match by the way... a 19 year old Lee Crooks was outstanding for Great Britain.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

The only reason it would surprise me (other than it being another example of RL trying to make sure anything we do is a bit rubbish) is that i can't think of enough nations that the NRL would invite to make up the numbers.

Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Australia, NZ, PNG, who else? probably France, maybe Italy, maybe Lebanon

I'd guess the 12 teams would be

Australia

Nz

Tonga

Samoa

Fiji

Png

GB

France...that's 8 "Big teams" with 4 spots free to go to the likes of USA,Canada,Jamaica,Serbia,Lebanon etc..

But knowing the Aussie's they'll probably want the aboriginal & Maori teams in there leaving only 2 places for proper international teams

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Archived