Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I suggest that last year if England had announced they were heading to PNG and NZ to take on those nations plus Tonga and Samoa it would have been received positively. 

Right now, I'd be happy with 'international rugby league isn't a shambles' and if the simplest way of getting to that point is to sack off GB (even with a promise of looking into it again) and just have England play these games then I am all for it. And I think any rugby league fan is going to be too.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Right now, I'd be happy with 'international rugby league isn't a shambles' and if the simplest way of getting to that point is to sack off GB (even with a promise of looking into it again) and just have England play these games then I am all for it. And I think any rugby league fan is going to be too.

Yep. This is my view now. 

I grew up with GB as my national team so have been slow to really get behind England as that team. I'm the kind of nostalgia fan they're looking at. But as we've not got anything in place yet, let's scrap GB and commit to England going.

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

I grew up with GB as my national team so have been slow to really get behind England as that team. I'm the kind of nostalgia fan they're looking at. But as we've not got anything in place yet, let's scrap GB and commit to England going.

If they were proposing to bring GB back as the national team, and for all competitions, then it would have some purpose. But to bring GB back as some sort of unique thing, at a time when you know that you don't have any players from Wales or Scotland (Ireland is kind of separate anyway) of the required standard, is just completely pointless.

If the aim is to fool people and potential sponsors into thinking that this is a different product to the England team, then we might as well go all in and get the 13 Englishmen to play as England in year 1, Great Britain in year 2, European Allstars in year 3, and Northern Hemisphere Allstars in year 4. That way we'll have four amazing products to market and sell to different sponsors. We'll just have to hope that nobody studies the team line-ups too closely.

8 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

GB isn't that side. 

England is. 

There is unlikely to be a future of GB

He is still taking a spot regardless of the name of the squad.

The Great Britain tour concept was flawed from the start and is not a brand that captures any imagination from most outside of GB

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:25 PM, Allora said:

He is still taking a spot regardless of the name of the squad.

The Great Britain tour concept was flawed from the start and is not a brand that captures any imagination from most outside of GB

Nice to get that perspective. If only the powers at be actually understood that... GB’s time has passed.

• 2 weeks later...

‘A decision will be made soon on whether New Zealand will host a tour by the British Lions later this year. The schedule for the tour has already been drawn up, but it comes down to whether it all stacks up financially.

"It's very close to either a go or a no go," Peters said. 

"That decision will be made next week.

"We're still working towards a positive outcome, but there are a number of stakeholders in the mix who all have different things that need to be considered and one of the biggest things is the overall risk or success of the commercial testing, which we're currently evaluating.

"It looks positive, but there are a number of elements we need to tick off yet."

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/110334764/new-zealand-unlikely-to-host-2025-rugby-league-world-cup

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

‘A decision will be made soon on whether New Zealand will host a tour by the British Lions later this year. The schedule for the tour has already been drawn up, but it comes down to whether it all stacks up financially.

"It's very close to either a go or a no go," Peters said. 

"That decision will be made next week.

"We're still working towards a positive outcome, but there are a number of stakeholders in the mix who all have different things that need to be considered and one of the biggest things is the overall risk or success of the commercial testing, which we're currently evaluating.

"It looks positive, but there are a number of elements we need to tick off yet."

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/110334764/new-zealand-unlikely-to-host-2025-rugby-league-world-cup

We have moved forward on so many things (World Cups mainly), but things like this should see heads roll. 

2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Nice to see it again being referred to only as the British Lions. It must really make people in Ireland want to get behind the team, to see how much they are valued.

They’ll be even more annoyed when they refer to them as England in the commentery then. Tbh I can’t imagine many people in Ireland are at the ‘rage’ point yet on this proposed tour. I can’t imagine anyone in Ireland really even knows it ishappening.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I don't think the RFL have any appetite for the Lions to tour. It's a decision made by the old management and it feels like the current management feel obliged to continue with it but most really just want it to go away. That doesn't discount the shabby way it's all been handled of course.There's no strategy for the Lions behind this attempt at resurrection. It's doomed. Just can it.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

4 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Nice to see it again being referred to only as the British Lions. It must really make people in Ireland want to get behind the team, to see how much they are valued.

When Brian Carney played they used God Save The Queen as the anthem. The RFL really went above and beyond to tell the Irish to not bother.

Please stop this now! Send England if you want some tests down under but don't half ass something to the extent it embarrasses the game. A repeat of the 2017 World Cup semi between England and Tonga will get people talking. Just do that FFS!  

On 2/2/2019 at 10:36 PM, Copa said:

When Brian Carney played they used God Save The Queen as the anthem. The RFL really went above and beyond to tell the Irish to not bother.

I'll be interested in it but only to see and cheer on Tonga, Papua New Guniea and Samoa. At least the PIs are getting a game against a tier one nation.

They are struggling cos it's a nothing tour with nothing games.. and some of us said this month's ago!

You can sell a 3 test baskerville series against GB or England....it means something!

A game here,a game there and maybe another game somewhere...is anyone surprised it's struggling??

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Archived