Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

League Weekly reports NZRL is struggling to find sponsorship and the plug may be pulled at an RLIF meeting next week. 

Is there a back up plan? Also had no idea that there was a RLIF meeting next week, lol.

2 hours ago, Abicus said:

Is there a back up plan? Also had no idea that there was a RLIF meeting next week, lol.

Wales, Jamaica and France are all free iirc? Though I remember reading France wanted PNG over at some point this Autumn.

Regardless it shouldn't have got to this point.

8 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

They are struggling cos it's a nothing tour with nothing games.. and some of us said this month's ago!

You can sell a 3 test baskerville series against GB or England....it means something!

A game here,a game there and maybe another game somewhere...is anyone surprised it's struggling??

I think here would be a point to games if it was England ...... in PNG has a massive novelty / interest factor and would sell out, Tonga in NZ as a repeat of the WC semi final could be huge and again sell out and then they have to sell a test against NZ - that’s their challenge.  That could work. But as England. Not GB.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Wales, Jamaica and France are all free iirc? Though I remember reading France wanted PNG over at some point this Autumn.

Regardless it shouldn't have got to this point.

Spooky....I've just posted on league unlimited saying what about a 4nations with England,Wales,France & Jamaica if/when the GB tour gets binned

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

4 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Spooky....I've just posted on league unlimited saying what about a 4nations with England,Wales,France & Jamaica if/when the GB tour gets binned

Spooky indeed!

I would think a 4 nations is possible, but wouldn't need a final, just a 3 match series for each team imo. If they'd have organised sooner I reckon you'd even get a good following from England to Jamaica!

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Spooky indeed!

I would think a 4 nations is possible, but wouldn't need a final, just a 3 match series for each team imo. If they'd have organised sooner I reckon you'd even get a good following from England to Jamaica!

Gotta have a final...

OLDHAM RLFC

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Normally I'd agree with you but for something that would be rushed and almost certainly have the LSV as a venue I don't think this tournament needs one.

I'd have the final at headingley 

And 3 double headers before that at Coventry,st Helens & Doncaster.

OLDHAM RLFC

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Bring over Fiji, Tonga, NZ and Samoa for a 5 nations comp.

Continue to build the rivalry with NZ, give everyone a chance to see the PI nations pre world cup and see just how good they are.

They are playing in that pathetic pacific cup

OLDHAM RLFC

If I was England I'd just invite Tonga over for three tests after the Pacific tests are done. England could play France once or twice, then a series against Tonga. Not a bad home season. Another option is a 4N with them, France and Wales. Given the short notice, I'd probably be going for smaller grounds that come relatively cheap and are fairly easily filled. Leeds and St Helens are both good bets. I assume inviting multiple PI sides out for a 4N would be too expensive.

18 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

If I was England I'd just invite Tonga over for three tests after the Pacific tests are done. England could play France once or twice, then a series against Tonga. Not a bad home season. Another option is a 4N with them, France and Wales. Given the short notice, I'd probably be going for smaller grounds that come relatively cheap and are fairly easily filled. Leeds and St Helens are both good bets. I assume inviting multiple PI sides out for a 4N would be too expensive.

Yep, I'd probably go with something similar, although not sure I would play Wales. 

Get Tonga and France for a Tri-nations series and we should be able to get half decent crowds for that. 

5 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Bring over Fiji, Tonga, NZ and Samoa for a 5 nations comp.

Continue to build the rivalry with NZ, give everyone a chance to see the PI nations pre world cup and see just how good they are.

They would bring no away fans..

Sponsors not interested in an out of date concept... no surprise there then...

Scrap it, don't rush a series in its place and hold the idiots who tried to push this through accountable.

For future years hold a home nations championship. 

Don't select players who abandon SL, this should level the playing field a bit and bring an incentive to loyal players who will stay and enrich the EUROPEAN league!

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Sponsors not interested in an out of date concept... no surprise there then...

Scrap it, don't rush a series in its place and hold the idiots who tried to push this through accountable.

For future years hold a home nations championship. 

Don't select players who abandon SL, this should level the playing field a bit and bring an incentive to loyal players who will stay and enrich the EUROPEAN league!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! 

7 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

No such country as Britain. And historically Brits are present day western England and Wales, Celts. 

You keep harping on about that. Suddenly discovered you have an ancestor called Williams or Jones?

Celts are a Greco Roman invention, along with the style of wrestling.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

I've gone beyond fed up with this tour now. Lets just forget it and put together 2 or 3 friendlies so at least England can play some games this year. A lot of the Jamaican team is based over here as is the French and Welsh teams so there we go, 3 friendlies, sorted.

Caravan park, headingley and leigh or something. Wales at Leigh, smallest ground, least interesting game, France at caravan park and Jamaica at Headingley. All grounds that we could get at short notice. Jamaica game might be at biggest ground but the novelty factor would draw people in I think and I believe there's a decent Jamaican community in the city. Print out a few leaflets and canvas that community, free tickets or discounted to school kids or something. Obviously Jamaica would get battered but the publicity they would get here and at home would be massive!

Make sure the BBC have got it, even if not on proper TV get it streamed on the website. Do not put it on our league cos that France game on there was quite frankly horrendous and watched by one man who left his dog at home. 

Boom. Easy. Sorted. 

1 hour ago, Mister Ting said:

You keep harping on about that. Suddenly discovered you have an ancestor called Williams or Jones?

Celts are a Greco Roman invention, along with the style of wrestling.

I'm a Celt, my grandparents' surnames are/were Morgan and Williams. Anyway, a common word has to come from somewhere, Wales comes from a Germanic word for foreigner. 

I know

Just now, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I'm a Celt, my grandparents' surnames are/were Morgan and Williams. Anyway, a common word has to come from somewhere, Wales comes from a Germanic word for foreigner. 

You seem like a young lad. Anyone who has Welsh ancestry knows Welsh means foreigner.

You still haven't managed to prove how you're a Celt. Only a belief in a certain type of Welsh nationalism that borrowed the celtic term just over 200 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

I know

You seem like a young lad. Anyone who has Welsh ancestry knows Welsh means foreigner.

You still haven't managed to prove how you're a Celt. Only a belief in a certain type of Welsh nationalism that borrowed the celtic term just over 200 years ago.

Uh? The Welsh language has been around for thousands of years. Stop trying to wind me up. Be serious. 

I'm not trying to wind you up. As for the age of the Welsh language, who knows how old it is. It is a Brythonic language, as was the language of the ancient Britons. We don't know for sure when the people who spoke this language arrived here, or from where.

What is certain is, people inhabited this island after the ice age for a long time (several thousand years) before Brythonic speaking people arrived.

Archived