Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm confused. So is this thing a standalone England game alongside a GB tour or instead of GB? Or is it just Australians calling GB England? 

If it is the latter it pretty much sums up the value of the GB brand people are so precious about.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Money can be made off those kind of crowds and decent viewing figures. 

I hear you, but apparently they don’t make money due to the clubs needing insurance etc to release players.

The Australia v Tonga match only just broke even, and that was with Australia forgoing their match payments.

36 minutes ago, Abicus said:

I hear you, but apparently they don’t make money due to the clubs needing insurance etc to release players.

The Australia v Tonga match only just broke even, and that was with Australia forgoing their match payments.

It didn't only just break even at all, it made a considerable profit.

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/used-and-abused-nrl-accused-of-hogging-profits-from-tonga-test-20181224-p50o2z.html

This says "small profit".....I've seen other reports saying it barely broke even..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

47 minutes ago, Damien said:

As Spud said, it did not at all. 

There is no money to be made from TV rights due to the current tv deal which bundled in Internationals. 

2 hours ago, Abicus said:

Aye, rank incompetence. Like at the last World Cup, no real sponsorship (just existing NRL sponsors) and no meaningful tv deal, plus not managing costs to stage.

8 hours ago, Abicus said:

You better believe there will be a TRIPLE HEADER in Auckland:

"KANGAROOS-TONGA PART OF TRIPLE TREAT

In another huge boost for international rugby league, the Kangaroos are likely to again play Tonga in November as part of a triple-header in Auckland.

Talks are under way for Australia to play Tonga on the same day New Zealand host England and Fiji take on Samoa.

The triple-header would be staged the week after the World Nines tournament at the new Western Sydney stadium.

It would attract huge media interest after the Melbourne Cup and before the cricket Test season kicks into gear. This is a great result for international rugby league.

No more ridiculous ventures like the failed Denver Test experience of New Zealand v England last season.

The growth of the international game is all about the emerging Pacific nations, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji.

They have to regularly compete on the big stage at the big venues.

They will get stronger and stronger and eventually become tier-one nations."

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/monday-buzz-weekend-highlights-lowlights/news-story/cd9043b102b25f81aad7f7629570c23c

Are we sure it is going to be a triple header in the same stadium or just three games on the same day? I don't read it as the same stadium ala magic.

Ive heard the Aussies use triple/double headers to describe several games over a day in different stadium.

20 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Are we sure it is going to be a triple header in the same stadium or just three games on the same day? I don't read it as the same stadium ala magic.

Ive heard the Aussies use triple/double headers to describe several games over a day in different stadium.

Its the Kangaroo's V New Zealand and the other game is the Jillaroos v Kiwi Ferns making it a double header.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/25/australia-kangaroos-to-face-new-zealand-kiwis-on-wollongong-in-october/

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

5 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/used-and-abused-nrl-accused-of-hogging-profits-from-tonga-test-20181224-p50o2z.html

This says "small profit".....I've seen other reports saying it barely broke even..

The NRL told One News it only made a "small profit" from the game, but the television network claimed it had received a confidential independent analysis which had estimated the match made around $1 million, after expenses.

The NRL have a long history of spinning a line to suit their own agenda. You may believe everything the NRL says, I certainly don't. Everything international makes a loss according to the NRL, or in the case of a sellout international a small profit when the loss line certainly won't wash. 

4 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Putting the three games on at once would be a great way to fill Eden Park, and get all eyes on the event. I think it's a great idea. It's lovely to hear some news filtering out at least...

18 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The NRL story seems to confirm the Lions are indeed back.

The big picture here is there will be international rugby league played between October 18 and November 16 including new Nines and Oceania tournaments.

Progress, folks.

God I hope they can the Lions. It adds absolutely nothing.

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Any idea when it might be?

Has any tour been confirmed yet? It seems a lifetime ago that I registered with Catalan Tours to see their offer(s) for various tours, I received an email back immediately acknowledging my interest with a note saying don't call us we will be in touch shortly!

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The NRL story seems to confirm the Lions are indeed back.

The big picture here is there will be international rugby league played between October 18 and November 16 including new Nines and Oceania tournaments.

Progress, folks.

This link from the other thread suggests NZ will not be playing GB but England. https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/australia-tonga-kangaroos-test-rugby-legaue-auckland-november/rldzloii56w61vvqal761am29

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Having GB play as part of a double or triple header,too save money,shoots down the notion that GB is this grand,historic,brand that everyone wants too see..

Ppppsssttt...it's not.

Nailed home by the fact that GB & ENGLAND are getting confused with each other in the Aussie press ....I don't think I've ever heard the British lions RU ever get called England or the English.....like GB does..why?

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Archived