Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The Australia v Tonga match wasn’t seen as financially viable and wasn’t going to go ahead until the Aussies agreed to a one off reduction in match payments from $20k to $5k. 

That's the NRL's fault for agreeing to 20k match payments in the first place. They bundled everything up in the TV deal and agreed a deal with the RLPA based on this. If they weren't going to fund these payments through the TV deal then they shouldn't have agreed to them.

Good to read that the fixtures are starting to be arranged. Will definitely look forward to the Tonga v Aus and Aus v NZ matches.

With England also playing NZ and Tonga, it makes me wonder whether maybe they could have made it into a four nations. Even if they'd done it without a final, I think it would have been good.

Regarding the Tonga and New Zealand situation, is the aim to encourage the NZ born Tongan fans to support both teams? I mean, there's no reason why they couldn't support Tonga against England one week and then NZ against England the next.

13 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

Having GB play as part of a double or triple header,too save money,shoots down the notion that GB is this grand,historic,brand that everyone wants too see..

Ppppsssttt...it's not.

Nailed home by the fact that GB & ENGLAND are getting confused with each other in the Aussie press ....I don't think I've ever heard the British lions RU ever get called England or the English.....like GB does..why?

Historic, as long as I can go back the Aussies have always refered to the Gt Britain team as The English, even in the days when it had quite a number of Welshmen in its ranks.

5 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

I think plenty of Aussies probably either wouldn't care, or just think Britain is an old timey word for England. It's probably seen as semantics, particularly by someone like 'Buzz' Rothfield. Like his fellow Daily Telegraph journos, he seems to revel in being a bit ignorant.

Several times during the World Cup the Aussie commentators referred to Ireland as "one of the British teams". Very annoying. I can't really blame them though when even the RFL lumps Ireland in with "Great Britain RL". As always, RLs reputation in Ireland is saved only by it's low profile.

4 hours ago, damp squib said:

Several times during the World Cup the Aussie commentators referred to Ireland as "one of the British teams". Very annoying. I can't really blame them though when even the RFL lumps Ireland in with "Great Britain RL". As always, RLs reputation in Ireland is saved only by it's low profile.

And all their players are English, drawn from the British league structure. But still, yes, I take your point.

18 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

And all their players are English, drawn from the British league structure. But still, yes, I take your point.

If that was the reason they would also have referred to Italy, Lebanon etc. as "one of the Australian teams".

Got to agree with Steve McCormack, whether it’s GB or England that play, we should pick our strongest squad from all players that are eligible under international rules.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors/why-aussie-born-scotland-internationals-should-be-in-great-britain-mix-wigan-warriors-steve-mccormack-1-9617910

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

That would, at least, give it something of a hook and provide some difference to England.

Though i would question who, that is eligable, would be good enough to get in.

Picking those type of players would kill any credibility GB would have in the eyes of the Aussie spectators.

rldfsignature.jpg

35 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Picking those type of players would kill any credibility GB would have in the eyes of the Aussie spectators.

I can just see Gary Schofield taking the selection of (insert Scottish-Australian player) comfortably in his stride.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

I can just see Gary Schofield taking the selection of (insert Scottish-Australian player) comfortably in his stride.

If they're eligible to play for Scotland, they're eligible to play for Great Britain/Great Britain and Ireland.

Can't exploit the criteria in order to try and give the impression that Scotland is a viable rugby league playing nation, but then ban those same players from the GB set-up.

42 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

If they're eligible to play for Scotland, they're eligible to play for Great Britain/Great Britain and Ireland.

Can't exploit the criteria in order to try and give the impression that Scotland is a viable rugby league playing nation, but then ban those same players from the GB set-up.

Who has suggested banning them?

rldfsignature.jpg

Yeah let's damage a already damaged brand

Fwiw I believe GB doesn't actually have to follow the RLIF eligibility criteria..it's a made up team,that doesn't playing in RLIF competitions* ,i believe we can make up our own eligibility rules for GB..

RULE 1 -.MUST HAVE BEEN BORN IN THE BRITISH ISLES 

There ......fixed

* the nz Maori & indidignous "all stars" ,made up teams that don't follow the RLIF eligibility criteria,pick who met their criteria...no different to GB imo

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Archived