Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Any reason why not Lions again in 2023, in order to preserve the four year cycle?

When this tour loses a shed load of money don't count on future GB tours happening...

And for the record...I actually like that shirt,I'll get it next summer when it goes down to £15 as per the RFL

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Of course they're English.

Seriously, stop thinking this is going to be anything other than England with a splash of blue.

Honestly why can't England just take the design and use it as their own?

Would save a whole lot of mess and leave Wales, Scotland and Ireland free to do their own thing (even though realistically they already have nothing to do with GB).

2 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

We,England,have our own design & brand Jim...we've spent a decade building it up...too ###### it all away so the old farts can go on tour...

Totally agree, hopefully it gets thrown out the door again after this year only to return if Wales and Scotland ever get to the point where they have players worthy of selection.. and even then it shouldn't be more than once every 8-10 years.

Lions will be canned again if this tour flops. This was Nigel Woods last act in his role at the RFL. I don't think theres the desire within the RFL currently to pursue the Lions concept if its not a roaring (excuse the pun) success.

I think there is a place for the Lions, but it needs to be looked at in much greater detail and a clear direction and identity created. Not this current nostalgic attempt to try and create something, with minimal effort, off the back of something that happened a long time ago.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

18 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Lions will be canned again if this tour flops. This was Nigel Woods last act in his role at the RFL. I don't think theres the desire within the RFL currently to pursue the Lions concept if its not a roaring (excuse the pun) success.

I think there is a place for the Lions, but it needs to be looked at in much greater detail and a clear direction and identity created. Not this current nostalgic attempt to try and create something, with minimal effort, off the back of something that happened a long time ago.

The big issue is that they have brought the Lions back as a different thing. i.e. a touring team - whereas we used to be able to watch them on these shores. That may be fair enough, but that will only leave people less engaged than they previously were as only small numbers will actually watch them in person, particularly if it is only every 5 years or so.

We then have the added nonsense that the origanisers were unable to deliver a decent tour. Going to the other side of the world to play three different teams is nothing like the old GB tours. It is basically the same as the Four Nations, but just friendlies instead and Australia being removed. 

Pretty much everything about it is worse than a) it should have been and b) it was in the past. So it neither delivers a great tour, or a great nostalgia blast.

I just hope it breaks even.

I don’t mind the idea of it being every 4-5 years just as a touring event (although I prefer England as a concept) but it just looks like the Aussies have scuppered any chance of this being a success, just like they did with Denver test

4 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Totally agree, hopefully it gets thrown out the door again after this year only to return if Wales and Scotland ever get to the point where they have players worthy of selection.. and even then it shouldn't be more than once every 8-10 years.

As I've always said..I've no issue with GB returning when it actually has smattering of actual Welsh and Scots* men in the squad,there on merit not quota,in the 90s we had Scots born Alan tait and 3-4 Welshmen in the GB squad..that's fine in my books..

OLDHAM RLFC

38 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I just hope it breaks even.

I don’t mind the idea of it being every 4-5 years just as a touring event (although I prefer England as a concept) but it just looks like the Aussies have scuppered any chance of this being a success, just like they did with Denver test

Why?

Because they did not think it would work or buy into the Lions concept.

They offered to Tour the UK and it was rejected.

You have to get the participants to agree on a concept before you go ahead with it, otherwise you end up with a shambles that often ends in disaster.

When you have incompetent people running the show you end up with a Circus.

Denver is another subject and it was doomed either way IMO

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The big issue is that they have brought the Lions back as a different thing. i.e. a touring team - whereas we used to be able to watch them on these shores. That may be fair enough, but that will only leave people less engaged than they previously were as only small numbers will actually watch them in person, particularly if it is only every 5 years or so.

We then have the added nonsense that the origanisers were unable to deliver a decent tour. Going to the other side of the world to play three different teams is nothing like the old GB tours. It is basically the same as the Four Nations, but just friendlies instead and Australia being removed. 

Pretty much everything about it is worse than a) it should have been and b) it was in the past. So it neither delivers a great tour, or a great nostalgia blast.

This.

I'd have been more than happy with the Lions being brought back if the idea was to have a proper tour with test matches and midweek club games. Something different, tapping into lots of fond nostalgia and could easily have been incorporated into the schedule. The key here is that it's something different.

I don't necessarily think the first paragraph is a big issue given the same comment could be applied to the Union Lions in that they only play abroad (save for a rare warm up test before they head off) and less people will be engaged. I fully accept that I'm not really comparing like with like here given GB used to play at home in league. But I still don't think this is a major issue.

I think your comment about it basically being a 4N without Australia or a trophy is absolutely bang on.

5 minutes ago, Bramstein said:

This.

I'd have been more than happy with the Lions being brought back if the idea was to have a proper tour with test matches and midweek club games. Something different, tapping into lots of fond nostalgia and could easily have been incorporated into the schedule. The key here is that it's something different.

I don't necessarily think the first paragraph is a big issue given the same comment could be applied to the Union Lions in that they only play abroad (save for a rare warm up test before they head off) and less people will be engaged. I fully accept that I'm not really comparing like with like here given GB used to play at home in league. But I still don't think this is a major issue.

I think your comment about it basically being a 4N without Australia or a trophy is absolutely bang on.

Yup, I also dont have an issue with it only being a touring team, but it is likely to be every 5 years if at all and we have seen that it is impossible to get the Aussies on board.

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yup, I also dont have an issue with it only being a touring team, but it is likely to be every 5 years if at all and we have seen that it is impossible to get the Aussies on board.

If you can not get the main players in the game embracing the concept of English players in different shirts with a different name then its a waste of time.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Some people on twitter,who should know better,are trying to promote that talks are underway with the new white Hart lane to host one of the GREAT BRITAIN v Australia ashes game next year...

GB aren't playing Australia next year..ENGLAND are...and if they change it to GB then that's me done

OLDHAM RLFC

10 minutes ago, Allora said:

If you can not get the main players in the game embracing the concept of English players in different shirts with a different name then its a waste of time.

Indeed. We dont have many options for tours as it is, and it looks like the main one (that WAS the basis of the Lions tours) wont be part of it.

It's not making much sense persevering with it tbh.

1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

Some people on twitter,who should know better,are trying to promote that talks are underway with the new white Hart lane to host one of the GREAT BRITAIN v Australia ashes game next year...

GB aren't playing Australia next year..ENGLAND are...and if they change it to GB then that's me done

I was just going to post this spud. We're blowing up 10 years of developing England just so some old geezers can reminisce. And even then the RFL can't get the details right to actually replicate the era they're obsessed with.

I wholeheartedly agreed with Matt Shaw's twitter comments the other day, re negativity, but there are times the people running this sport deserve both barrels. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Worth reminding people what Ralph rimmed said last November..

https://www.rugby-league.com/england/article/53987/rimmer-relishing-prospect-of--kangaroo-tour

“The development of the England team over the last 18 months, reaching the final of the 2017 World Cup and then earning three wins against New Zealand in 2018, has been so encouraging – and there’s an obvious demand from our players and supporters to play a series against Australia."

“The prospect of hosting a three-match Ashes series in 2020, for the first time since 2003, is therefore an exciting one. We’re delighted that the Australians are all so keen on getting behind that concept – and coming in 2020, the series can only build anticipation for the World Cup the following year."

ENGLAND not GB

OLDHAM RLFC

43 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Worth reminding people what Ralph rimmed said last November..

https://www.rugby-league.com/england/article/53987/rimmer-relishing-prospect-of--kangaroo-tour

“The development of the England team over the last 18 months, reaching the final of the 2017 World Cup and then earning three wins against New Zealand in 2018, has been so encouraging – and there’s an obvious demand from our players and supporters to play a series against Australia."

“The prospect of hosting a three-match Ashes series in 2020, for the first time since 2003, is therefore an exciting one. We’re delighted that the Australians are all so keen on getting behind that concept – and coming in 2020, the series can only build anticipation for the World Cup the following year."

ENGLAND not GB

Loving the Freudian slip 'spud. ? ? ?

rldfsignature.jpg

Just watched the 1988 3rd test, with the Lions beating Australia in Sydney. One notable thing (apart from what a miserable person Jack Gibson was) is that it's like a home game for GB. Very hard to imagine 10k+ GB fans at a game on the tour this year.

5 hours ago, nadera78 said:

I was just going to post this spud. We're blowing up 10 years of developing England just so some old geezers can reminisce. And even then the RFL can't get the details right to actually replicate the era they're obsessed with.

I wholeheartedly agreed with Matt Shaw's twitter comments the other day, re negativity, but there are times the people running this sport deserve both barrels. 

I look forward to a hard hitting article in the League Express on Monday sharing those same views.

Archived