Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondered if there has been any talk of them doing a documentary for the upcoming tour?

I really enjoyed the two that they did for the Tri Nations back in the mid-2000's - one in UK, one in Aus.

Or is the fact that it's not an actual competition maybe putting them off doing one, since there's nothing to frame the matches.

On 06/09/2019 at 17:23, Harry Stottle said:

Like I say I would not trust Aussies as far as I could throw them, and before anybody questions that statement the Tongan team is a collection of Australian born and raised player's who have a mindset of the schooling, district and social aspects of the country they reside and was brought up in, and that wasn't Tonga.

The Tongan team is a mix of Australian, NZ & Tongan born. 

34 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Which of those players were born in Tonga, and where did they grow up?

Konrad hurrell, solomone kata are two current players born and raised in Tonga. Many of the players born in nz and Australia frequent back to Tonga annually with their families and have family in the islands. 

Here is a list of Tongan born players: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Tongan_rugby_league_players

Time for the selection of Sean O'Loughlin to come to an end, for me he has been one of the Champion players of the last 15 or so years and it is sad to see a player that has been so good barely going through the motions which was very evident if anyone cared to watch him closely last night, as has been proved there are player's in the background at Wigan worthy of selection bring them in.

The same could be said of the GB squad if Sean is selected to travel that will be a complete waste of time, he would get blown away by those younger, stronger Tongan and Kiwi forwards which would not be a sight to relish when we all know what he was capable of, I would be very surprised if he plays on longer than next year, we need to give those expected to be involved in '21 the WC year experience now, international games are to few and far between for me there is no place for a last hoorah because of previous service performance's, Internationals are about now, not the past.

7 hours ago, hutch said:

Konrad hurrell, solomone kata are two current players born and raised in Tonga. Many of the players born in nz and Australia frequent back to Tonga annually with their families and have family in the islands. 

Here is a list of Tongan born players: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Tongan_rugby_league_players

I agree with you.

The two players you named moved to NZ as High School kids on scholarships.

Not sure if they go back to Tonga for holidays every year.

I think there would be plenty that have never been back.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

9 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Just wondered if there has been any talk of them doing a documentary for the upcoming tour?

I really enjoyed the two that they did for the Tri Nations back in the mid-2000's - one in UK, one in Aus.

Or is the fact that it's not an actual competition maybe putting them off doing one, since there's nothing to frame the matches.

That was an excellent video, but I believe the last time they did it. They didn't even do it for the two World Cup's in Oz since.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Time for the selection of Sean O'Loughlin to come to an end, for me he has been one of the Champion players of the last 15 or so years and it is sad to see a player that has been so good barely going through the motions which was very evident if anyone cared to watch him closely last night, as has been proved there are player's in the background at Wigan worthy of selection bring them in.

The same could be said of the GB squad if Sean is selected to travel that will be a complete waste of time, he would get blown away by those younger, stronger Tongan and Kiwi forwards which would not be a sight to relish when we all know what he was capable of, I would be very surprised if he plays on longer than next year, we need to give those expected to be involved in '21 the WC year experience now, international games are to few and far between for me there is no place for a last hoorah because of previous service performance's, Internationals are about now, not the past.

I am genuinely a massive fan of O'Loughlin. I know he gets plenty of stick, but over the years I would have had him as the first name on many team sheets. 

However, the constant backdrop of wondering whether he is fit is something of a distraction. I think we move on now, thanks for the service Sean.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I am genuinely a massive fan of O'Loughlin. I know he gets plenty of stick, but over the years I would have had him as the first name on many team sheets. 

However, the constant backdrop of wondering whether he is fit is something of a distraction. I think we move on now, thanks for the service Sean.

As you would expect, in total agreement David.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

As you would expect, in total agreement David.

Fantastic player who sadly is a faded force these days,his influence on Wigan's performances has diminished rapidly this year and he is not up to international level now,time to say thanks and move on.

On 13/09/2019 at 10:29, Dave T said:

Even as a Wigan fan, I don't think he's worth the gamble for a touring squad. I think he could've been the difference if he'd played that WC final (taking the pressure off our struggling halves) but that's kind of the point, he was injured. I don't know what he's on at Wigan but I think he's probably using up more of our cap than he's worth.

9 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

Even as a Wigan fan, I don't think he's worth the gamble for a touring squad. I think he could've been the difference if he'd played that WC final (taking the pressure off our struggling halves) but that's kind of the point, he was injured. I don't know what he's on at Wigan but I think he's probably using up more of our cap than he's worth.

I agree with all this. O'Loughlin has been an absolutely fantastic player, one of my favourites since he came on the scene, and is incredibly underrated by some. He has though been a declining force the last few years and this year has seen a further drop off in form. I don't think his form warrants international selection and I'm actually quite surprised he hasn't retired from the international game.

I think his latest contract was much reduced compared to his previous ones due to his injury record and declining form. There was serious talk of him leaving as a result and going to Toronto but he ended up staying.

• 3 weeks later...

11 names confirmed today for GB tour:

James Graham, Gareth Widdop, Elliott Whitehead, Ryan Hall, Tom Burgess, Daryl Clark, Jack Hughes, Jake Trueman, Jermaine McGillvary, George Williams and Jake Connor.

On standby: Sam Tomkins, Reece Lyne, Ash Handley, Liam Watts.

Full 24-man squad announced on 14 Oct.

James Graham meanwhile will captain England 9s: https://www.rugby-league.com/article/55809/england-squad-named-for-downer-world-cup-nines

77977FA3-6732-4D91-9ECD-8CF993CEB2E8.png

14DF3EDB-8EF5-4952-AC07-80CAF997EE4D.jpeg

On 06/10/2019 at 15:09, DoubleD said:

I'm surprised no Ratchford?

And isn't Tomkins only on standby for GB? (hes in the 9s squad)

Hes had a great season for Cats, who were awful  all season, looks like Coote for GB fullback then. Hes not been tested this season so think Tomkins is still a better fullback than Coote even though he played in the halfs last year for England.

28 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

And isn't Tomkins only on standby for GB? (hes in the 9s squad)

Hes had a great season for Cats, who were awful  all season, looks like Coote for GB fullback then. Hes not been tested this season so think Tomkins is still a better fullback than Coote even though he played in the halfs last year for England.

I hope not.

I could accept Hastings for GB because he's young, growing into serious quality, and could potentially commit a whole career to England/GB. But Coote is near the end of his career. Better to just either stick with Tomkins and reward his long England service, or blood the best young fullback options.

8 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

I could accept Hastings for GB because he's young, growing into serious quality, and could potentially commit a whole career to England/GB. But Coote is near the end of his career. Better to just either stick with Tomkins and reward his long England service, or blood the best young fullback options.

to be fair Coote has flown over from australia for the past couple of years to play for Scotland hasnt he?

14 minutes ago, RP London said:

to be fair Coote has flown over from australia for the past couple of years to play for Scotland hasnt he?

Yeah that's true and a good point. I guess I just think Coote is a good player, but not great, and is also near the end of his career. I don't see the point in selecting him.

27 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Yeah that's true and a good point. I guess I just think Coote is a good player, but not great, and is also near the end of his career. I don't see the point in selecting him.

I am less worried by his age when selecting him for a GB team as it is a one off rather than building for the future as you would probably do with an England team with the 2021 world cup in mind..  Whether he is good enough is a different matter and I'm not sure.. maybe Widdop/Lomax to fullback, Austin/Hastings/Lomax/Widdop/Williams in the halves?

26 minutes ago, RP London said:

I am less worried by his age when selecting him for a GB team as it is a one off rather than building for the future as you would probably do with an England team with the 2021 world cup in mind..  Whether he is good enough is a different matter and I'm not sure.. maybe Widdop/Lomax to fullback, Austin/Hastings/Lomax/Widdop/Williams in the halves?

Why would you play one of the standout 6’s at fullback in Lomax? That’s just daft. 

Fullback should be Ratchford’s or Coote’s. 

Archived