Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

7 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Why would you play one of the standout 6’s at fullback in Lomax? That’s just daft. 

Fullback should be Ratchford’s or Coote’s. 

because you also have a "stand out" 6 in Widdop and both can also play at fullback which is now being played more like a 3rd pivot in many teams.. i did put it as "Lomax/Widdop" as you could do it with either, with the other fitting into the halves. 

I would go with Ratchford but didn't think he had been named in the squad of players that have been picked from non grandfinalists.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RP London said:

because you also have a quality 6 in Widdop and both can also play at fullback which is now being played more like a 3rd pivot in many teams.. i did put it as "Lomax/Widdop" as you could do it with either, with the other fitting into the halves. 

I would go with Ratchford but didn't think he had been named in the squad of players that have been picked from non grandfinalists.

Just because they can play there, it doesn’t mean they should. 

We have, thankfully, moved on from the days of shoehorning players into the England/GB side and no longer have the likes of Leon Pryce being forced to play as a winger.

We have a few good options at FB in players who play their club rugby at FB and they should be the ones considered for FB. If that means certain players aren’t picked because there is other/better options in their favoured position, so be it. 

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Just because they can play there, it doesn’t mean they should. 

We have, thankfully, moved on from the days of shoehorning players into the England/GB side and no longer have the likes of Leon Pryce being forced to play as a winger.

We have a few good options at FB in players who play their club rugby at FB and they should be the ones considered for FB. If that means certain players aren’t picked because there is other/better options in their favoured position, so be it. 

I dont disagree but I also think that Lomax or Widdop are probably stand outs at both 6 and FB... and i would happily see them there.... its not like forcing Pryce to play as a winger they are genuine full backs who have played for top level clubs, and internationally, at that position with ease.. I would love to be sitting here with a stand out fullback to slot in but i dont think we have one, I would be happy to see either Lomax or Widdop there as much as Ratchford (who as I say I would play there if in the squad). 

12 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Why would you play one of the standout 6’s at fullback in Lomax? That’s just daft. 

Fullback should be Ratchford’s or Coote’s. 

Maybe because that's where Lomax has played his international rugby and because Bennett recognises his lack of a kicking game.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I must admit, it all seems as muddled as the rest of this whole process. Why are we starting with an 11 man squad? 

Why not name a proper full squad with loads of fanfare?

Maybe doing what we do at Workington, name 11 players first, but come match day we usually muster up 14 players so I think GB will be ok.

I went along on Sunday to meet some of my fellow travellers who are going on the GB Tour, we are all going with Catalan Sports Tours.

I took a straw poll amongst a number of them, the question I posed was "Are you in Favour of the possible selection of Coote, Hastings and Austin" to a man and women the 100% answer was a resounding NO. Not even a if or but, just a NO.

I checked my new GB shirt and as long and as close as I inspected it I couldn't find any Green and Gold anywhere on it, it was just Red, White and Blue!

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I went along on Sunday to meet some of my fellow travellers who are going on the GB Tour, we are all going with Catalan Sports Tours.

I took a straw poll amongst a number of them, the question I posed was "Are you in Favour of the possible selection of Coote, Hastings and Austin" to a man and women the 100% answer was a resounding NO. Not even a if or but, just a NO.

I checked my new GB shirt and as long and as close as I inspected it I couldn't find any Green and Gold anywhere on it, it was just Red, White and Blue!

funnily enough on my whatsap group with friends we were all talking about jackson Hastings and to a man we all thought it was great.. we've also spoken about Blake austin in positive terms before... amazing how it wont make the least bit of difference. it is after all a very small group, all of the people are friends and most will have similar opinions.. not going to really be a rounded poll.

21 minutes ago, RP London said:

funnily enough on my whatsap group with friends we were all talking about jackson Hastings and to a man we all thought it was great.. we've also spoken about Blake austin in positive terms before... amazing how it wont make the least bit of difference. it is after all a very small group, all of the people are friends and most will have similar opinions.. not going to really be a rounded poll.

Of course it isn't RP and I accept that, could I please ask how many of your What'sapp group have dug into their resources and are going on the tour?

You are probably asking the relevance of that, but I expect over there if we win the attitude of the locals and press will be because of selecting those Aussies, I could not defend that nor would I want to, irrespective of a win or loss I really hope my position in the stand is close enough to the coaches to express my opinion, better still, I hope that I could meet them or the selectors to have a meaningful discussion.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

1. Of course it isn't RP and I accept that, could I please ask how many of your What'sapp group have dug into their resources and are going on the tour?

2. You are probably asking the relevance of that, but I expect over there if we win the attitude of the locals and press will be it will be because of selecting those Aussies, I could not defend that nor would I want to,

3. irrespective of a win or loss I really hope my position in the stand is close enough to the coaches to express my opinion, better still, I hope that I could meet them or the selectors to have a meaningful discussion.

1. as we all have young families with kids all at school none of us can go, but not because we dont want to we just arent in a position to do so.. but as with both my post, your post and this point. it is not at all relevant to the international eligibility rules and how people "feel" towards their nationality.

2. Then they would be utter hypocrites.. all international teams are doing this (the kiwis have even been caught out with a player who wasnt actually eligible)... i really think you are overplaying that.. the world has moved on

3. with all due respect that is a ridiculous thing.. you think as a spectator and, ok, tourist.. you have any right to have a "meaningful discussion" about selection and criteria ? jesus there are rules and as long as we play within those rules that is all you can ask.. If the decide not to play them becuase their attitude is not right (seems Hardaker is falling into this category) then fine, if they are not good enough then fine.. but if its becuase they had a discussion with a fan then I for one will pack this whole thing in!

If you want to shout something from the stands go for it if you must, but if it goes anywhere near the line of xenophobic, racist, or just ignorance I hope they lock you up!

BTW I know you are big on Junior Development etc but none of the kids could give a toss.. my son (we are both warrington fans) is well please Blake Austin may be playing and is really pleased he has decided to play for England with his heritage (my son being half Irish so understanding this sort of thing).. no issue at all.. and they are the ones we need to get interested in the sport and are the most important thing are they not?

36 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Of course it isn't RP and I accept that, could I please ask how many of your What'sapp group have dug into their resources and are going on the tour?

You are probably asking the relevance of that, but I expect over there if we win the attitude of the locals and press will be because of selecting those Aussies, I could not defend that nor would I want to, irrespective of a win or loss I really hope my position in the stand is close enough to the coaches to express my opinion, better still, I hope that I could meet them or the selectors to have a meaningful discussion.

Something for Wayne and the boys to look forward to.

Will they be the same locals who will be turning out to support Tonga with all those Australian born "Tongans"

53 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Sam Burgess (& Kallum Watkins and Stevie Ward) ruled out of the GB tour...

would burgess have played in the aussie gf though?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

19 hours ago, RP London said:

1. as we all have young families with kids all at school none of us can go, but not because we dont want to we just arent in a position to do so.. but as with both my post, your post and this point. it is not at all relevant to the international eligibility rules and how people "feel" towards their nationality.

2. Then they would be utter hypocrites.. all international teams are doing this (the kiwis have even been caught out with a player who wasnt actually eligible)... i really think you are overplaying that.. the world has moved on

3. with all due respect that is a ridiculous thing.. you think as a spectator and, ok, tourist.. you have any right to have a "meaningful discussion" about selection and criteria ? jesus there are rules and as long as we play within those rules that is all you can ask.. If the decide not to play them becuase their attitude is not right (seems Hardaker is falling into this category) then fine, if they are not good enough then fine.. but if its becuase they had a discussion with a fan then I for one will pack this whole thing in!

If you want to shout something from the stands go for it if you must, but if it goes anywhere near the line of xenophobic, racist, or just ignorance I hope they lock you up!

BTW I know you are big on Junior Development etc but none of the kids could give a toss.. my son (we are both warrington fans) is well please Blake Austin may be playing and is really pleased he has decided to play for England with his heritage (my son being half Irish so understanding this sort of thing).. no issue at all.. and they are the ones we need to get interested in the sport and are the most important thing are they not?

Morning RP, well that certainly riled you a tad didn't it?

Only a couple of your points I feel are for debate.

3. You said "with all due respect that is a ridiculous thing.. you think as a spectator and, ok, tourist.. you have any right to have a "meaningful discussion" about selection and criteria"

Yes, my opinion which I have always held is that when I hand over my cash to go through the turnstile I have actually paid for the privaledge to comment, be that about tactics, selection, player performance both individually and collectively, etc. it could be something spontaneous that has happened, although I do draw the line in that I am not a referee basher. There are many on the terraces or in the stands who hold the same respect, whether it is done quietly to your neighbour or bellowed out so that many are aware of one's interpretations, some will agree, some will disagree, it goes on throughout the course of the game, it is part of the oft used phrase 'Match Day Expierience" do you stand/sit in stoney silence RP? If so that is your prerogative.

"Meaningful discussion" that is to ascertain if the opportunity presented itself from those who have decided the teams/squad selction process why in their opinion Player X has been included/excluded in preference to Player Y, it would on my part be deliverd amicably.

The next point you said "If you want to shout something from the stands go for it if you must, but if it goes anywhere near the line of xenophobic, racist, or just ignorance I hope they lock you up"

Please, xenophobia really, so you think my opinion of not selecting these guys could be based on my dislike of Australian's, in sporting contests yes I do consider them the enemy, my two main sports are RL and Cricket and anybody who is a follower of either code will probably have the same feelings, I have been witness to some Aussies at both codes who lets say challenge the rules somewhat - as I could also single out members of my own teams who also walk the line - I have no dislike of them simply for the fact that they are Australians in fact I have a deep respect for a lot of them,  and racist?not worth commenting on. You also said "ignorance" are you eluding to the literal meaning of "a lack of knowledge" I may be thick on a lot of subjects but RL definatley ain't one of those.

Yes there are rules (and you don't need to blaspheme) and those rules are being abided by, still I disagree with them not just in RL but all sports, I think they are far to lenient, for mine it should stop at parents and the residency rule should be no less than 10 years for qualification, that would enable those kids whose parents took them to a different country to grow up in to qualify, and it would exclude a lot of the 20 somethings who have no connection whatsoever with another country but go their for no other purpose than to make a living out of their chosen sport.

You may disagree with what I say, just as I disagree with those clamouring for the inclusion of those 3 player's, they are opinions.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Morning RP, well that certainly riled you a tad didn't it?

Only a couple of your points I feel are for debate.

3. You said "with all due respect that is a ridiculous thing.. you think as a spectator and, ok, tourist.. you have any right to have a "meaningful discussion" about selection and criteria"

Yes, my opinion which I have always held is that when I hand over my cash to go through the turnstile I have actually paid for the privaledge to comment, be that about tactics, selection, player performance both individually and collectively, etc. it could be something spontaneous that has happened, although I do draw the line in that I am not a referee basher. There are many on the terraces or in the stands who hold the same respect, whether it is done quietly to your neighbour or bellowed out so that many are aware of one's interpretations, some will agree, some will disagree, it goes on throughout the course of the game, it is part of the oft used phrase 'Match Day Expierience" do you stand/sit in stoney silence RP? If so that is your prerogative.

"Meaningful discussion" that is to ascertain if the opportunity presented itself from those who have decided the teams/squad selction process why in their opinion Player X has been included/excluded in preference to Player Y, it would on my part be deliverd amicably.

The next point you said "If you want to shout something from the stands go for it if you must, but if it goes anywhere near the line of xenophobic, racist, or just ignorance I hope they lock you up"

Please, xenophobia really, so you think my opinion of not selecting these guys could be based on my dislike of Australian's, in sporting contests yes I do consider them the enemy, my two main sports are RL and Cricket and anybody who is a follower of either code will probably have the same feelings, I have been witness to some Aussies at both codes who lets say challenge the rules somewhat - as I could also single out members of my own teams who also walk the line - I have no dislike of them simply for the fact that they are Australians in fact I have a deep respect for a lot of them,  and racist?not worth commenting on. You also said "ignorance" are you eluding to the literal meaning of "a lack of knowledge" I may be thick on a lot of subjects but RL definatley ain't one of those.

Yes there are rules (and you don't need to blaspheme) and those rules are being abided by, still I disagree with them not just in RL but all sports, I think they are far to lenient, for mine it should stop at parents and the residency rule should be no less than 10 years for qualification, that would enable those kids whose parents took them to a different country to grow up in to qualify, and it would exclude a lot of the 20 somethings who have no connection whatsoever with another country but go their for no other purpose than to make a living out of their chosen sport.

You may disagree with what I say, just as I disagree with those clamouring for the inclusion of those 3 player's, they are opinions.

I do disagree.. and yes they are your opinions and you are welcome to them... they are certainly not based on the rules of the international federation which they are all playing under.. you want to shout stuff AT the coaches for doing their jobs to the rules?? then my opinion of you sticks the same.. cheer, enjoy, chant.. but shouting AT people who are doing their jobs under the rules of the organisation they are playing under and not doing anything wrong.. please! write a letter to the RLIF about the rules but leave the players and coaches that are abiding by those rules out of it.. THATS the ignorance and what riles me.. the equivalent to shooting the messenger.. Racist or xenophobic is about the language you may use to express your views BTW not always said by racists or xenophobes but has the same impact.

you seem to think because you have the ability, time, money to go that your opinion holds more weight and should be listened to by the powers that be (thats how it has come across IMHO in your posts)... that is ridiculous. 

Blaspheme FFS!! 

45 minutes ago, RP London said:

I do disagree.. and yes they are your opinions and you are welcome to them... they are certainly not based on the rules of the international federation which they are all playing under.. you want to shout stuff AT the coaches for doing their jobs to the rules?? then my opinion of you sticks the same.. cheer, enjoy, chant.. but shouting AT people who are doing their jobs under the rules of the organisation they are playing under and not doing anything wrong.. please! write a letter to the RLIF about the rules but leave the players and coaches that are abiding by those rules out of it.. THATS the ignorance and what riles me.. the equivalent to shooting the messenger.. Racist or xenophobic is about the language you may use to express your views BTW not always said by racists or xenophobes but has the same impact.

you seem to think because you have the ability, time, money to go that your opinion holds more weight and should be listened to by the powers that be (thats how it has come across IMHO in your posts)... that is ridiculous. 

Blaspheme FFS!! 

Don't be so soft with that bit in bold, its rather juvenile, as I said we are all allowed an opinion.

It all comes down to if you want to utilise those rules, as they stand I know no rules are being broken but personally I don't see the need to select any of the 3 who's names are being put forward and I don't  think we should select them, I have faith in those who may miss out on selection I think they will be good enough for the job in hand, if you consider those player's who may have been selected prior to the 3 "heritage" coming on the scene are not good enough then that is your opinion, I am well aware of where my loyalties lie, to some it is not a consideration it seems.

50 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't be so soft with that bit in bold, its rather juvenile, as I said we are all allowed an opinion.

It all comes down to if you want to utilise those rules, as they stand I know no rules are being broken but personally I don't see the need to select any of the 3 who's names are being put forward and I don't  think we should select them, I have faith in those who may miss out on selection I think they will be good enough for the job in hand, if you consider those player's who may have been selected prior to the 3 "heritage" coming on the scene are not good enough then that is your opinion, I am well aware of where my loyalties lie, to some it is not a consideration it seems.

and yet you get upset with me "blaspheming" ffs! As I said you can have an opinion but your posts have the tone of "i'm going so my opinion should have more weight" its not me being soft its the way you are writing IMHO

the rules are there.. complain about the rules not those enforcing them you dont agree... thats fine but leave the pompous "I'll tell them what I think and want to sit down with them and talk them about it" out of it for crying out loud.. it makes your argument look daft.. 

just my opinion.. and , as you, i am also allowed an equal one!

I dont see this going anywhere else.. so I'm going to get on with something more important and worthwhile

Archived