Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/10/2019 at 12:46, RP London said:

and yet you get upset with me "blaspheming" ffs! As I said you can have an opinion but your posts have the tone of "i'm going so my opinion should have more weight" its not me being soft its the way you are writing IMHO

Harry begins every argument on this forum by stating how often he attends RL matches and asking how often you attend.

21 hours ago, Gray1967 said:

Cheers mate! I,ll keep an eye for when they have a sale on ?

It's a shame that we have to wait until it goes to a tenner for us to buy it. But at the end of the day it will not be seen again after the one off competition. So why should we feel obliged to fork out 50 quid. 

On 08/10/2019 at 13:50, Harry Stottle said:

I went along on Sunday to meet some of my fellow travellers who are going on the GB Tour, we are all going with Catalan Sports Tours.

I took a straw poll amongst a number of them, the question I posed was "Are you in Favour of the possible selection of Coote, Hastings and Austin" to a man and women the 100% answer was a resounding NO. Not even a if or but, just a NO.

I checked my new GB shirt and as long and as close as I inspected it I couldn't find any Green and Gold anywhere on it, it was just Red, White and Blue!

I get it. But England RU and cricket have gone leaps and bounds since they have become a foreign legion and no one seems to care. Why should we be any different. 

52 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I get it. But England RU and cricket have gone leaps and bounds since they have become a foreign legion and no one seems to care. Why should we be any different. 

Do you not care Matt?

I don't watch Union, but an associate of mine who is very much into that game, actuallly produced a ledger of the playing squads for Scotland and England, I am a cricket follower and I absolutely detest what England are doing, if England or GB RL did half of the "outside" recruitment those sports did, that would be me finished with International  RL.

The only Foreign Legion I want to see is on the big screen in some films about it.

17 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

It's a shame that we have to wait until it goes to a tenner for us to buy it. But at the end of the day it will not be seen again after the one off competition. So why should we feel obliged to fork out 50 quid. 

Excactly....not that I would pay £50 to be honest!

20 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

How do you know "nobody seems to care"

I care.

On 08/10/2019 at 09:17, RP London said:

I am less worried by his age when selecting him for a GB team as it is a one off rather than building for the future as you would probably do with an England team with the 2021 world cup in mind..  Whether he is good enough is a different matter and I'm not sure.. maybe Widdop/Lomax to fullback, Austin/Hastings/Lomax/Widdop/Williams in the halves?

Indeed we have genuine options in the halves.  I think Widdop at 7.

*wow... I just talked a bit about rugby there!!

20 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

How do you know "nobody seems to care"

I care.

When you get huge viewing figures and full grounds it doesn't matter how many people say they care. It is what the people do that is an issue, and they are still turning up or watching on TV.

21 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Rugby league should let football and rugby union charge those stupid prices and instead be more 'for the people'.

They should be trying to promote interest in the national team (whether it's England or GB) and make everyone feel part of it.

Be willing to accept making less money in order to create some interest and affinity with the team. It might pay off in the long term. £50 for an England nines shirt or a GB shirt is ridiculous. What's wrong with £25 or £30 max?

Like a lot of others, out of principle I'm going to wait until they start selling them off for £20. Probably in December.

17 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Rugby league should let football and rugby union charge those stupid prices and instead be more 'for the people'.

They should be trying to promote interest in the national team (whether it's England or GB) and make everyone feel part of it.

Be willing to accept making less money in order to create some interest and affinity with the team. It might pay off in the long term. £50 for an England nines shirt or a GB shirt is ridiculous. What's wrong with £25 or £30 max?

Like a lot of others, out of principle I'm going to wait until they start selling them off for £20. Probably in December.

Yep, I'll be waiting until the GB shirt is cheaper. I just don't want to make such a large investment into a shirt that will only get worn 4 times by the team and probably even fewer times by me. I wear my club shirt to games so I buy one of those full price every year cos its something that I keep wearing for ages and then gets added to my collection (which is an entire wardrobe) but I'm not gonna pay full wack for a shirt I will probably only wear a couple of times. 

I will get one when they're on sale because I like it and I guess it is significant with it being the first GB shirt in 12 years. Currently I wear a '94 GB shirt to internationals (probably my favourite shirt of all time) because its iconic, vintage and significant to me with it being my first GB shirt I bought but I will say if the ashes series next year does go ahead in this country and we bring out a new shirt I will probably get that because I will be able to wear it to games and could end up being as iconic as the '94 shirt if we won that series. 

Point is I'm only willing to spend £50 on an international shirt if its something I'm gonna treasure and keep forever in my collection like I have with my' 94 shirt but I can't see that being the case with any recent England shirts so I've not seen the point in investing in them. 

3 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

We've been doing that for 100 years and look where we are...a sport without a pot to p*** in.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

6 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

We've been doing that for 100 years and look where we are...a sport without a pot to p*** in.

I could be wrong but I don't think charging people £50 for a shirt is the way to go about changing that. Especially not when combined with a strategy of reducing those very shirts to £12.50 less than a year later - which is what happened with the last England shirt!

Squad https://www.rugby-league.com/article/55852/great-britain-rugby-league-lions-squad-announced

James Graham (St George Illawarra Dragons, Blackbrook; captain)

Blake Austin (Warrington Wolves, Doonside Roos)

John Bateman (Canberra Raiders, Bradford Dudley Hill)

Tom Burgess (South Sydney, Dewsbury Moor)

Daryl Clark (Warrington Wolves, Fryston Warriors)

Jake Connor (Hull FC, Siddal)

Lachlan Coote (St Helens, Windsor Wolves)

Oliver Gildart (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)

Zak Hardaker (Wigan Warriors, Featherstone Lions)

Jackson Hastings (Salford Red Devils, Western Suburbs Red Devils)

Ryan Hall (Sydney Roosters, Oulton Raiders)

Chris Hill (Warrington Wolves, New Spring Lions)

Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders, East Hull)

Jack Hughes (Warrington Wolves, Golborne Parkside)

Josh Jones (Salford Red Devils, Blackbrook)

Jonny Lomax (St Helens, Orrell St James)

Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants, Deighton Juniors)

Joe Philbin (Warrington Wolves, Culcheth Eagles)

Luke Thompson (St Helens, Bold Miners)

Jake Trueman (Castleford Tigers, West Bowling)

Alex Walmsley (St Helens, Dewsbury Celtic)

Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders, West Bowling)

Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra Dragons, Kings Cross)

George Williams (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)

11 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Squad https://www.rugby-league.com/article/55852/great-britain-rugby-league-lions-squad-announced

James Graham (St George Illawarra Dragons, Blackbrook; captain)

Blake Austin (Warrington Wolves, Doonside Roos)

John Bateman (Canberra Raiders, Bradford Dudley Hill)

Tom Burgess (South Sydney, Dewsbury Moor)

Daryl Clark (Warrington Wolves, Fryston Warriors)

Jake Connor (Hull FC, Siddal)

Lachlan Coote (St Helens, Windsor Wolves)

Oliver Gildart (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)

Zak Hardaker (Wigan Warriors, Featherstone Lions)

Jackson Hastings (Salford Red Devils, Western Suburbs Red Devils)

Ryan Hall (Sydney Roosters, Oulton Raiders)

Chris Hill (Warrington Wolves, New Spring Lions)

Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders, East Hull)

Jack Hughes (Warrington Wolves, Golborne Parkside)

Josh Jones (Salford Red Devils, Blackbrook)

Jonny Lomax (St Helens, Orrell St James)

Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants, Deighton Juniors)

Joe Philbin (Warrington Wolves, Culcheth Eagles)

Luke Thompson (St Helens, Bold Miners)

Jake Trueman (Castleford Tigers, West Bowling)

Alex Walmsley (St Helens, Dewsbury Celtic)

Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders, West Bowling)

Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra Dragons, Kings Cross)

George Williams (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)

am i blind or are there only 2 recognised wingers (McGilvary and Hall) and 2 recognised centres (Jake Connor & GIldart) in that squad?

1 minute ago, RP London said:

am i blind or are there only 2 recognised wingers (McGilvary and Hall) and 2 recognised centres (Jake Connor & GIldart) in that squad?

Same as the world cup where Bennett insisted on Bateman as a centre

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Zak's back...

is he the "fit in where you can find a spot" player then? I'd guess another couple of would be useful on a "tour" its a lot of matches to ply in a row for those 4 (or 5 on some sort of rotation) otherwise

Archived