Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Definitely, Hill turned into a bit of nasty piece of work.

Hill is an idiot, I dont think you will get any Wire fans disagreeing with that.

The quality of his work is still very very impressive though.

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Is Ratchford injured?

This isnt a question because he is from my team, as many will know I havent always been his biggest fan, but he has been excellent this year, has been a regular part of the England setup for years now, would have suited 9s and would have been a useful utility. And I would choose his presence over Hardaker in a touring squad any day of the week.

I'd have Evalds before Hardaker too.

What a ridiculously unbalanced squad - more half backs than props.

Grace should have been in - firstly because he's Welsh and we should have a welshman in there, secondly because there's a strong argument to say he's in better form than the wingers named anyway.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Based on the squad selected, I would go with the following:

1. Coote

2. McGilvary

3. Connor

4. Gildart

5. Hall

6. Widdop

7. Hastings

8. Walmsely

9. Hodgson 

10. Graham

11. Bateman

12. Whitehead

13. Thompson

14. Burgess

15. Hill

16. Clark

17. Jones

I think half backs have to control the game and be creative and Widdop & Hastings have the best kicking games in the squad.  Williams is unlucky to miss out but he is not as good as these two in an all round half back game.  Coote offers more handling at full back than Hardaker and is more of a natural full back than Lomax.

Jones on the bench to cover the back row as both Whitehead and Bateman can do a shift at center in case of injury etc.

Thompson at 13 with a huge engine will allow us to rotate 4 big men in the front row while having three big middles at all times.  Clark to inject some pace from acting half during the game. 

Didn't take you to long to sell your soul Dunbar.

2 hours ago, andyscoot said:

Who do we think will play 13?

Why don't we see if we can persuade Boyd Cordner to check his heritage or even if he had an English Setter he may qualify!

Just checked my GB shirt, as I thought it is just red, white and blue, not a bit of green or gold on it, except of course for the Golden Lions head, yep it is a Lion not a Kangaroo FFS

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Didn't take you to long to sell your soul Dunbar.

We have had the conversation on heritage players being selected for Great Britain/England Harry. I have stated my preference for not selecting on this criteria. The squad has now been selected though and there are three Australians in there. 

I'm not delighted but I can live with 3 out of 24. There is no mileage left in this thread on discussing heritage players.

From this point on, I will concentrate on discussing which is the best team to select and then hoping they win.

I call it supporting my team, you may call it selling my soul, that is your prerogative (although a little melodramatic perhaps).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Based on the squad selected, I would go with the following:

1. Coote

2. McGilvary

3. Connor

4. Gildart

5. Hall

6. Widdop

7. Hastings

8. Walmsely

9. Hodgson 

10. Graham

11. Bateman

12. Whitehead

13. Thompson

14. Burgess

15. Hill

16. Clark

17. Jones

I think half backs have to control the game and be creative and Widdop & Hastings have the best kicking games in the squad.  Williams is unlucky to miss out but he is not as good as these two in an all round half back game.  Coote offers more handling at full back than Hardaker and is more of a natural full back than Lomax.

Jones on the bench to cover the back row as both Whitehead and Bateman can do a shift at center in case of injury etc.

Thompson at 13 with a huge engine will allow us to rotate 4 big men in the front row while having three big middles at all times.  Clark to inject some pace from acting half during the game. 

Yeah,that looks the strongest 17 from the squad selected,I'd start Hill with Walmsley coming off the bench.

C'mon, no Roby or Knowles? Hall still in the squad? Players like Hughes and Philbin, not the required standard for this level I'm sorry? 2 wingers, one hardly setting the world alight and the other barely able to get game? Should have got the young forward for Wigan that is tearing it up, rather than some of the bang average plodders in there.

1 minute ago, muckymunksy said:

Ryan Hall and Chris Hill is it 5 years ago.

hope we get a hammering. 

I am not a massive fan of the GB concept (nostalgia trip IMO) and disagree with some of the selections (Hill/Hardaker/Philbin vs Watts etc), but the bit in bold... REALLY?????

1 hour ago, wackojacko said:

Not sure if I've understood it - is this the full squad or does it also include the players out there for the 9s?

I like Philbin but if he gets in over Watts then I think the latter should feel very hard done by.

Don't agree over Philbin but would over Hill and Hughes.

7 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

C'mon, no Roby or Knowles? Hall still in the squad? Players like Hughes and Philbin, not the required standard for this level I'm sorry? 2 wingers, one hardly setting the world alight and the other barely able to get game? Should have got the young forward for Wigan that is tearing it up, rather than some of the bang average plodders in there.

Didn't Roby & Knowles pull out with "injuries"

12 minutes ago, muckymunksy said:

Ryan Hall and Chris Hill is it 5 years ago.

hope we get a hammering. 

Honestly ? We can argue and fume with disbelief at selections for our footy side cricket side rugby side whatever side , but it’s still you’re country and that patriotism overrides everything in international sport. I can’t imagine thinking like that about my national side 

4 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

So the GB team isn't to include Welsh/Scots and Irish but Australians hmmm

Australians make more sense in that team than Irish.

Australia has the queen as head of state and a union flag in their flag. Ireland isn't even in the commonwealth.

Some of those players are selected on reputation. When it comes to props, Liam Watts should have been first name on the teamsheet. Ryan Hall has hardly played this season; Tommy Makinson would be a much sounder selection. Joe Philbin before Mike McMeeken? ... do me a favour.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived