Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think you should voluntarily pack this in now.

Okay, but i want people like Ray Warren and Phil Gould to know that Britain is mainly Celtic DNA not Anglo-Saxon as they've said on Channel 9; this is why i mentioned re-education. I've heard a guy say, 'British by birth, English by the grace of God', well i say go back to Denmark or Germany then. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Okay, but i want people like Ray Warren and Phil Gould to know that Britain is mainly Celtic DNA not Anglo-Saxon as they've said on Channel 9; this is why i mentioned re-education. I've heard a guy say, 'British by birth, English by the grace of God', well i say go back to Denmark or Germany then. 

There is quite a lot of interesting information and a good BBC doc that says that the Irish being Celtic is nothing but a myth with little to no proof of celts ever settling on the Island. 

7 hours ago, Abicus said:

Just quietly, the ticket sales for the match against Tonga in a week look very grim.

So where is all this fervent support for Tonga then, was the world cup a flash in the pan overidden on the crest of the occasion, if the attendance of this game is badly subscribed, I doubt very much it will have been the correct decision to play the 'Proper Test' the Kiwi's v Lions as a supporting act to Tonga v Australia the following week in Auckland, I always thought it was ridiculous not to have the host nation's game as top of the bill.

Anyway my grandson who lives in Auckland informs me that the day of the triple header, coincides with the Mixed Nationalities Final in Japan, and if NZ are in the final that will take over everything else for the locals.

NB. He tells me that amongst the League fraternity the word is the decision for GB to employ 3 'average' Aussies (not my words) say's alot about the game in the UK.

41 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So where is all this fervent support for Tonga then, was the world cup a flash in the pan overidden on the crest of the occasion, if the attendance of this game is badly subscribed, I doubt very much it will have been the correct decision to play the 'Proper Test' the Kiwi's v Lions as a supporting act to Tonga v Australia the following week in Auckland, I always thought it was ridiculous not to have the host nation's game as top of the bill.

Anyway my grandson who lives in Auckland informs me that the day of the triple header, coincides with the Mixed Nationalities Final in Japan, and if NZ are in the final that will take over everything else for the locals.

NB. He tells me that amongst the League fraternity the word is the decision for GB to employ 3 'average' Aussies (not my words) say's alot about the game in the UK.

When do you go out on the tour, Harry? I'm hoping for some 'boots on the ground' reporting. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Is this the same fraternity who were happy to support the Kiwi's when they played Nathan Fien who had no NZ qualification or Is he Aussie,is he kiwi Tonie Carroll to name just 2.

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Is this the same fraternity who were happy to support the Kiwi's when they played Nathan Fien who had no NZ qualification or Is he Aussie,is he kiwi Tonie Carroll to name just 2.

Only reporting what I have been told.

Maybe those he spoke to were of the same opinion as me Dav, and thought unlike some that they have confidence in their own so no need to select the Aussies, have faith, apparently you ain't, but if that is the way those here see that is the way to go, maybe you lot are agreeing with those Kiwi's fan's that our flagship SL really is substandard, the 3 really are/were average in the NRL, otherwise they would without question still be employed over there, do you agree?

Interesting that a few old English/GB caps are now publicly condemning the selections of these Aussies.

46 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Would it be any different if it was England touring Gibbo, if you think so please say why.

I have lived in Australia and England for many years.

Picking three Australians to tour will come across as desperate and make many fans come to the conclusion that England/GB can not produce their own players.

The brand GB does not resonate down under as much as many here think it does IMO

Calling the team England would carry more credibility I suspect.

13 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

Picking three Australians to tour will come across as desperate and make many fans come to the conclusion that England/GB can not produce their own players.

The brand GB does not resonate down under as much as many here think it does IMO

It doesn't even resonate here in England 

53 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

The tour is in NZ/PNG though not Australia and Aussies don't see foreign born players as a reason not to attend ashes cricket or union tests.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Only reporting what I have been told.

Maybe those he spoke to were of the same opinion as me Dav, and thought unlike some that they have confidence in their own so no need to select the Aussies, have faith, apparently you ain't, but if that is the way those here see that is the way to go, maybe you lot are agreeing with those Kiwi's fan's that our flagship SL really is substandard, the 3 really are/were average in the NRL, otherwise they would without question still be employed over there, do you agree?

Interesting that a few old English/GB caps are now publicly condemning the selections of these Aussies.

The squad was only announced this week so the inclusion of Coote,Hastings & Austin will have played no part in the poor ticket sales experienced so far despite you wishing it so.

1 hour ago, Gibbo said:

Agree wholeheartedly with the bit in bold, also never understood why the Aussies referred to the GB team of yesteryear as "The English" especially in those times when there were quite a lot of Welshmen in the team and we have had a smattering of Scots and some Irish also.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes it does.

Sorry to say it doesn't, Harry. In the other code it does massively - because they have genuine player offerings and fan buy in across all 4 nations. In our sport it is England in all but name and for all things the RFL take a kicking for I actually don't think brand England RL has faired too badly, relatively speaking, since the switch from GB. Which is what makes this whole tour all the more perplexing. 

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Sorry to say it doesn't, Harry. In the other code it does massively - because they have genuine player offerings and fan buy in across all 4 nations. In our sport it is England in all but name and for all things the RFL take a kicking for I actually don't think brand England RL has faired too badly, relatively speaking, since the switch from GB. Which is what makes this whole tour all the more perplexing. 

It would be interesting to compare the attendances of England over here since it's reincarnation in 07 to say the previous equivalent number of years as GB.

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It would be interesting to compare the attendances of England over here since it's reincarnation in 07 to say the previous equivalent number of years as GB.

I can't find a definitive table of attendances but the test series I can find on Wikipedia suggests not much change for better or worse - always averaging around the 25k mark. 

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Link to GB attendances (you need to click into each Series):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_national_rugby_league_team_game_results_(1991–present)

Link to England attendances:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_England_national_rugby_league_team_results

Golden age for GB was the early-mid 90s. That's what most people hark back to; what their nostalgic for. But then England have some excellent attendances at places like Wembley, Olympic Stadium and Elland Road since it's inception in 2008 (especially against New Zealand, which are better than against GB).

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Link to GB attendances (you need to click into each Series):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_national_rugby_league_team_game_results_(1991–present)

Link to England attendances:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_England_national_rugby_league_team_results

Golden age for GB was the early-mid 90s. That's what most people hark back to; what their nostalgic for. But then England have some excellent attendances at places like Wembley, Olympic Stadium and Elland Road since it's inception in 2008 (especially against New Zealand, which are better than against GB).

NZ is our new main rival 

Archived