Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

8 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Depends if they meant Mike Gregory or Andy Gregory. From my old VHS "Great Britain tame the Kiwis", I remember Mike Gregory (captain) and Offiah played.

Now I'm curious to know - if Hanley, Andy Gregory, Lydon, Schofield, etc. didn't play in that series, why was that? Surely they weren't all injured?

Hanley and Schofield were definitely injured. Now I think about it, Andy Gregory may have played the first test before getting injured. Think Shaun Edwards replaced him for the last 2. Can't remember Lydon playing.

I also had GB Tame the Kiwis - cracking video!!!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Hanley and Schofield were definitely injured. Now I think about it, Andy Gregory may have played the first test before getting injured. Think Shaun Edwards replaced him for the last 2. Can't remember Lydon playing.

David Hulme played in the second test. I think Gregory lost his place after the Old Trafford defeat. 

5 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Lydon was sub in the 3rd test.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Simple question again for all the GB haters, who is boycotting the series? Surely you are all men of principle, or is it just a load of moaning ninnies.

Bit rich coming from you Harry, given your endless moaning on here about picking certain eligible players

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

"I'm Pretty sure"? What you really mean is you ain't got a clue, but it gave you something else to say.

Have you got out the bed on the wrong side this morning?

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

David Hulme played in the second test. I think Gregory lost his place after the Old Trafford defeat. 

Just checked (because I am a geek...). David Hulme played in the first test. Edwards came off the bench in the 1st Test and then started the 2nd Test in place of Gregory. Full game is on YouTube.

40 minutes ago, RP London said:

That's not the point.. why would an Irishman play for Great Britain as you continue to call it.. if it was Great Britsin and Ireland they may be more interested.. otherwise they would only be able to play via residency or grandparents which we already know (over and over) that you have an issue with... 

So what is it? Do you actually not have an issue with the rules.or are you continually wrong to refer to it as GB. 

BTW I think GB is wrong.. it's a mistake, it's the wrong way to go and I wouldn't have done it.. it doesn't mean I hate the concept, I'll still watch it I just think they would have been better and it would have been an easier sell to everyone if they played as England... it's not as black and white as love it or hate it. 

But it was GB and Ireland, it was Mr Lewis who decided to drop that moniker it was nothing political at all, it was he who being the head of the RFL at the time decided on the change, I would say if we had not moved to the Summer Rugby concept aligning the seasons in both hemisphere's and basically annulling 'proper tours' of 6 - 8 weeks in both directions, we would still be going to Aus and NZ and entertaining them here as GB. 

We have by that consequence the emergence of the WC as our premier tournament, and that is only cuertosy of how strong the game is in Australia, quite simply without the strength and popularity of the game in Australia we would still be having the 3 nations.

How do you know it was a mistake, or why would it be an easier sell to everyone, if we are to only ever to play as England in the future, could that be a discouraging factor to those young one's like Reagan Grace from other Home Nations who may have seen the opportunity to not only perform for their home nation, but to represent Great Britain at the highest level of our sport, including Grace could well have been a very good promotional tool.

And regarding Grace, after seeing Captain Slow Macgillivray and Pedestrian Hall perform over the last couple of days, his presence could be well utilised.

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Just checked (because I am a geek...). David Hulme played in the first test. Edwards came off the bench in the 1st Test and then started the 2nd Test in place of Gregory. Full game is on YouTube.

So my statement was right?? ? 

I remember the 2nd test. Hampson sent off for a butt in the in goal and 12-man GB squeezing NZ something like 26-6. Great performance.

It's sad to have to make a point thanks to the RUWC, but France had a player born in Fiji (or NZ?)... at least one(!).

Just how pathetic is it to moan about selections when the whole world is doing it? And again to sadly have to point out that Wales have a NZ coach and an England assistant. England have an Australian coach, and Ireland have a NZ coach and an English assistant. (Both assistants from Wigan of course!)

(BTW, inevitably, Japan's coach is from NZ... so let's forget the fact that ours is an Australian.   But equally, of the 23 Japan players who started their quarter final only 11 were born of Japanese parents.  (!!!)     Grow up you numbnuts, get with the programme.)

12 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

It's sad to have to make a point thanks to the RUWC, but France had a player born in Fiji (or NZ?)... at least one(!).

Just how pathetic is it to moan about selections when the whole world is doing it? And again to sadly have to point out that Wales have a NZ coach and an England assistant. England have an Australian coach, and Ireland have a NZ coach and an English assistant. (Both assistants from Wigan of course!)

(BTW, inevitably, Japan's coach is from NZ... so let's forget the fact that ours is an Australian.   But equally, of the 23 Japan players who started their quarter final only 11 were born of Japanese parents.  (!!!)     Grow up you numbnuts, get with the programme.)

Lemming springs to mind!

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thought so, and would you agree with my earlier statement that irrespective of whatever name the team that entertains Australia in the series next year be it GB or England that the attendance would not be swayed one way or another?

Not sure, I do think the England brand has greater pull for neutrals and casual sport fans 

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

But it was GB and Ireland, it was Mr Lewis who decided to drop that moniker it was nothing political at all, it was he who being the head of the RFL at the time decided on the change, I would say if we had not moved to the Summer Rugby concept aligning the seasons in both hemisphere's and basically annulling 'proper tours' of 6 - 8 weeks in both directions, we would still be going to Aus and NZ and entertaining them here as GB. 

We have by that consequence the emergence of the WC as our premier tournament, and that is only cuertosy of how strong the game is in Australia, quite simply without the strength and popularity of the game in Australia we would still be having the 3 nations.

How do you know it was a mistake, or why would it be an easier sell to everyone, if we are to only ever to play as England in the future, could that be a discouraging factor to those young one's like Reagan Grace from other Home Nations who may have seen the opportunity to not only perform for their home nation, but to represent Great Britain at the highest level of our sport, including Grace could well have been a very good promotional tool.

And regarding Grace, after seeing Captain Slow Macgillivray and Pedestrian Hall perform over the last couple of days, his presence could be well utilised.

I don’t think GB is a good idea (I’ve gone over why many many times, execution of concept, concept itself etc)... it has nothing to do with the best of Wales playing top level that is irrelevant to whether GB is worthwhile or adds anything imho. 

Btw of course it’s political to drop the “&I” from the name, anyone who says otherwise is either lying or hard of understanding re Ireland and anything involving them and GB, but that is a debate that we have done to death elsewhere. My 11 year old son has an issue with this “GB” side and has spoken very eloquently to me about it, quite emotionally too, I was very proud of how well he put his views. He is half Irish and struggling with the whole concept, I cannot blame him, and is being put off the game by it, no interest in this tour, but was interested to watch England at the last few opportunities he has had and we’ll be getting World Cup tickets as he identifies as English for RL. 

Tonga squad announced for Saturday's game 

Very strong side. Obvious to say by now but they're going to be extremely fast and physical. The only thing that weakens them is the halves pairing - Lolohea finished the season well with Salford but Hingano barely got a sniff at Canberra this year and is only young so will be a huge test to take on GB's defence. 

And now the GB Squad 

1. Lachlan Coote (Windsor Wolves, St Helens)

2. Jermaine McGillvary (Deighton Juniors, Huddersfield Giants)

3. Zak Hardaker (Featherstone Lions, Wigan Warriors)

4. Oliver Gildart (Wigan St Patricks, Wigan Warriors)

5. Ryan Hall (Oulton Raiders, Sydney Roosters)

6. Gareth Widdop (Kings Cross, St George Illawarra Dragons)

7. Jackson Hastings (Western Suburbs Red Devils, Salford Red Devils)

8. Chris Hill (New Springs Lions, Warrington Wolves)

9. Josh Hodgson (East Hull, Canberra Raiders)

10. Luke Thompson (Bold Miners, St Helens)

11. John Bateman (Bradford Dudley Hill, Canberra Raiders)

12. Elliott Whitehead (West Bowling, Canberra Raiders)

13. James Graham (c) (Thatto Heath, St George Illawarra Dragons)

14. Josh Jones (Blackbrook, Salford Red Devils)

15. Tom Burgess (Dewsbury Moor, South Sydney Rabbitohs)

16. Jonny Lomax (Orrell St James, St Helens)

17. Alex Walmsley (Dewsbury Celtic, St Helens)

18. Jake Connor (Siddal, Hull FC)

19. Jack Hughes (Golborne Parkside, Warrington Wolves)

20. George Williams (Wigan St Patricks, Wigan Warriors)

21. Daryl Clark (Fryston Warriors, Warrington Wolves)

So no spot for Austin and Hardaker to start at centre are the 2 main things that jump out. 

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

Widdop at 1. Williams to 6. 

Williams and Hastings to play 1st man either side with Widdop second on both sides. Presume Thompson and Graham will swap but doesn’t really matter

Is Maikinson injured?

He didn't travel due to the injury suffered in the GF

5 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Widdop at 1. Williams to 6. 

Williams and Hastings to play 1st man either side with Widdop second on both sides. Presume Thompson and Graham will swap but doesn’t really matter

Is Maikinson injured?

Williams is on the extended reserve list - he won't be playing unless someone gets injured. Also the numbers are in order of where they're due to start so Widdop at fullback would be a last minute tactical decision but highly unlikely. 

Archived