Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

TBH, the selectors have just made a right pigs-ear of it all, and it is so clear that Bennett has no idea about SL players. 

Within seconds of the squad being announced it was questioned how light we were with our three-quarters, and here we are now with Hardaker on the wing and Jack Hughes in centre. It is like going back to Richard Horne and Karl Pratt covering for us in the early 00's.

couldnt agree more!

Sorry but this tour has become a complete and utter farce. We seemed to have gone back in time. We have been looking like a professional outfit for the last 8 or so years up until this tour which as other posters have pointed out looks exactly like the tours of the 90's

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Has there been any claim that we are not calling anyone up due to cost?

not as far as I am aware.. 

I would be interested to know why, he cant, surely, be confident with round pegs in square holes

9 minutes ago, RP London said:

not as far as I am aware.. 

I would be interested to know why, he cant, surely, be confident with round pegs in square holes

The only mentions I have seen is that Bennett is confident with the squad he has. TBH, it doesn't surprise me that he wont fly somebody over for these two games. 24 players is fine, we still have 22 fit, but the issue goes right back to the start and the incompetent selections.

4 hours ago, RP London said:

couldnt agree more!

The "selectors", plural. Who was it that selected Truman? I doubt Bennett. Let's not forget that two excellent three-quarters were out injured on the eve of the tour. Given a squad of 24 I would agree that one of the halves (surely Trueman) could be replaced by a centre.  Not sure who might have fitted the bill.

2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Have we been more unlucky than usual with injuries, or is this pretty much what you'd normally expect?

I'm just thinking that we've lost Roby, O'Loughlin, Gildart, Hall, even Sam Burgess.

Roby was not selected, like SOL. plus Makinson and Percival on the rve.  Plus Johnston and Manfredi earlier. Gale has barely played for over 2 seasons. I'm sure others can think of others.

We have lost 2 starting threequarters in the middle of the tour. This on top of several who never made it on the plane.  Its no good pretending that the cupboard is not bare.

8 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The "selectors", plural. Who was it that selected Truman? I doubt Bennett. Let's not forget that two excellent three-quarters were out injured on the eve of the tour. Given a squad of 24 I would agree that one of the halves (surely Trueman) could be replaced by a centre.  Not sure who might have fitted the bill.

I would guess at Reece Lyn as he was close last year and was in the 9s.... whether we think him worthy of a place/international class etc surely he is better than Jack Hughes at centre! i just dont get the balance of the squad at all!

29 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Jack Reed must be fit by now ..?

Gone for good, talking of which Kallum Watkins may be in Australia why not bring him in?....................................................Jack Hughes it is then????

So if the 17 named take to the field this week we will have 3 halfbacks sat in the stand who haven't touched a ball in anger and yet we are down to 1 out of form winger and 1 centre,a scenario that most people on here identified was a distinct possibility and yet the coaching setup obviously didn't.

Just now, Clogiron said:

Yes,I realise but would be a better choice than present and Bennett knows him, might at least get in the way in defence.

Mmm , we are indeed up a certain creek without a certain instrument on this one.  I still don’t get how those in charge could look at that squad for a tough tour and be satisfied they had all bases covered . 

17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Mmm , we are indeed up a certain creek without a certain instrument on this one.  I still don’t get how those in charge could look at that squad for a tough tour and be satisfied they had all bases covered . 

If they pick up a couple of more injuries in the backs this weekend, which is par for the course, just imagine what the team could look like against PNG!! that's why I think they will fail to win a game on this shambles of a tour??

28 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

If they pick up a couple of more injuries in the backs this weekend, which is par for the course, just imagine what the team could look like against PNG!! that's why I think they will fail to win a game on this shambles of a tour??

You mentioned Watkins before . I mean it’s a crisis , is he injured or just that far off the radar .

Archived