Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

41 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What are you talking about?

There is no deal without a contract. It is a conversation until then. We have seen time and time again that things get 'agreed', advertised in a press release and then never happen. 

This is added to that list.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

There is no deal without a contract. It is a conversation until then. We have seen time and time again that things get 'agreed', advertised in a press release and then never happen. 

This is added to that list.

Cool.

4 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

We did make a deal.

Was there a contract? Was there an MOU?

Cos, if not, we didn't make a deal.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

57 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Cool.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

What a strange argument.

The idea that the Australians and RFL publicly agreeing to a Lions tour and ashes tour is not the Australians and RFL making a deal to have a lions tour and then an ashes tour because we havent had sight of an MOU or contract is a very strange and kind of pointless attempt at pedantry.

Edited by scotchy1

Interesting article here! 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/8468166/great-britains-comeback-tour-after-12-years-is-set-to-finally-be-confirmed/

Great news if this can be confirmed so we can all move on, and just look forward to it!

That said, I do want to know how/why the NRL was the hold up. I suspect that once again, the RLPA will have been an extremely annoying factor. But I want some journos to explore this properly. Why are end of season test matches apparently so hard to organise?? Is it player demands, clubs, TV issues, stadium hire costs, sponsorship? Player insurance is a new one that gets a run these days... All I know is the constant uncertainty is not good enough, and fans deserve an explanation.

• Like 3

Article suggests that it will be Tonga in Auckland on 26 October and NZ on 2nd November. I wonder what time (UK time) those matches will be played it. Just curious because I notice that a rugby union world cup semi final and then the final kick off at 9am UK time on those two Saturdays. Would be a shame if there's a clash of times, because I know where most peoples attention will be!

Edit: Not forgetting the potential impact on ticket sales in New Zealand, if the All Blacks happen to be playing in the semi final or final at the same time - which is quite likely.

Edited by 17 stone giant

2 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Why are end of season test matches apparently so hard to organise?? Is it player demands, clubs, TV issues, stadium hire costs, sponsorship? Player insurance is a new one that gets a run these days... All I know is the constant uncertainty is not good enough, and fans deserve an explanation.

The club season runs for way too long especially for such a physical sport so you can understand why there’d be objections to end of season tests. NFL is not the best example but nonetheless its regular season runs for about 4 months and seems to work just fine. Why can’t it be the same in rugby? I’ve said it before, the sport has placed all its eggs in one basket and now wants both sides of the bread buttered. There won’t be a consistent system in place for the international level with the current format. A compromise needs to come in the form of a shortened club season. Question is, whether the game is willing to do that 

4 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Interesting article here! 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/8468166/great-britains-comeback-tour-after-12-years-is-set-to-finally-be-confirmed/

Great news if this can be confirmed so we can all move on, and just look forward to it!

That said, I do want to know how/why the NRL was the hold up. I suspect that once again, the RLPA will have been an extremely annoying factor. But I want some journos to explore this properly. Why are end of season test matches apparently so hard to organise?? Is it player demands, clubs, TV issues, stadium hire costs, sponsorship? Player insurance is a new one that gets a run these days... All I know is the constant uncertainty is not good enough, and fans deserve an explanation.

The NRL screwed themselves. They agreed a 50k rep fee for the players and bundled in the internationals as part of the tv deal. So they added a massive expense at the same time as selling a very profitable revenue stream off on the cheap. The NRL clubs dont really earn anything from it, and that is pretty much guaranteed to be the case as long as they are tied in to this commercial structure, so dont want their players constantly flying to the UK where the only real money to be made is.

The RFL don't have any money whatsoever, are led by an incompetent buffoon so they struggle to do their job and act as a promoter for international games, putting up the money to put them on and reaping the profits of a well organized, well marketed international programme. 

Independent promoters who want to use their money are run out of town by vested interests in the game protecting their little fiefdom.

You better believe there will be a TRIPLE HEADER in Auckland:

"KANGAROOS-TONGA PART OF TRIPLE TREAT

In another huge boost for international rugby league, the Kangaroos are likely to again play Tonga in November as part of a triple-header in Auckland.

Talks are under way for Australia to play Tonga on the same day New Zealand host England and Fiji take on Samoa.

The triple-header would be staged the week after the World Nines tournament at the new Western Sydney stadium.

It would attract huge media interest after the Melbourne Cup and before the cricket Test season kicks into gear. This is a great result for international rugby league.

No more ridiculous ventures like the failed Denver Test experience of New Zealand v England last season.

The growth of the international game is all about the emerging Pacific nations, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji.

They have to regularly compete on the big stage at the big venues.

They will get stronger and stronger and eventually become tier-one nations."

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/monday-buzz-weekend-highlights-lowlights/news-story/cd9043b102b25f81aad7f7629570c23c

It is Buzz Rothfield in the daily Telegraph - not like he pays must attention anyway.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Surely for these three games we could get 30k, 20k and 15k individually?

Yes, but where and who pays? The last Test season showed that no one makes money, so no one wants to put on the Tests.

NZRL has no money and is risk averse. Tonga, Fiji and Samoa (where is PNG) will only play if the NRL covers costs.

Hopefully the Tests are played at Eden Park - but honestly could see them playing at Mt Smart Stadium.

30 minutes ago, Abicus said:

The growth of the international game is all about the emerging Pacific nations, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji.

Off course they will, just as long as up to 2 generations up from the qualifying player's immediate family emigrate to Aus or NZ.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Abicus said:

You better believe there will be a TRIPLE HEADER in Auckland:

"KANGAROOS-TONGA PART OF TRIPLE TREAT

In another huge boost for international rugby league, the Kangaroos are likely to again play Tonga in November as part of a triple-header in Auckland.

Talks are under way for Australia to play Tonga on the same day New Zealand host England and Fiji take on Samoa.

The triple-header would be staged the week after the World Nines tournament at the new Western Sydney stadium.

It would attract huge media interest after the Melbourne Cup and before the cricket Test season kicks into gear. This is a great result for international rugby league.

No more ridiculous ventures like the failed Denver Test experience of New Zealand v England last season.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/monday-buzz-weekend-highlights-lowlights/news-story/cd9043b102b25f81aad7f7629570c23c

What a joke. So Australia v Tonga sold out easily as a standalone fixture and now we are bundling in 2 more matches.  That is madness. Every year our administrator's take this great game backwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Abicus said:

It is Buzz Rothfield in the daily Telegraph - not like he pays must attention anyway.

Yes, but where and who pays? The last Test season showed that no one makes money, so no one wants to put on the Tests.

NZRL has no money and is risk averse. Tonga, Fiji and Samoa (where is PNG) will only play if the NRL covers costs.

Hopefully the Tests are played at Eden Park - but honestly could see them playing at Mt Smart Stadium.

Money can be made off those kind of crowds and decent viewing figures. 

Triple header at Mount Smart stadium - seriously?  England v NZ (in NZ) becoming a curtain raiser to a Tonga game? WTF

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm confused. So is this thing a standalone England game alongside a GB tour or instead of GB? Or is it just Australians calling GB England? 

If it is the latter it pretty much sums up the value of the GB brand people are so precious about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Money can be made off those kind of crowds and decent viewing figures. 

I hear you, but apparently they don’t make money due to the clubs needing insurance etc to release players.

The Australia v Tonga match only just broke even, and that was with Australia forgoing their match payments.

16 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Australia vs NZ confirmed for Wollongong at end of this season by Peter Beattie

There is a brand new state of the art 30k stadium in Parra and they go to Wollongong. 

• Like 2