Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

How can England represent people from Scotland, NI and Wales?? ?

Ask the ECB.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

fair enough I'm just saying it's easier for them to help us out then for us to help them out

The Media and Sponsors obliviously  have a big say in the time games are played.

The Challenge Cup was played in Australia at 11:45PM why didn't they play at a time that suited the Southern Hemisphere

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Allora said:

The Media and Sponsors obliviously  have a big say in the time games are played.

The Challenge Cup was played in Australia at 11:45PM why didn't they play at a time that suited the Southern Hemisphere

Didn't realise there was a Southern Hemisphere team playing.

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Didn't realise there was a Southern Hemisphere team playing.

Isn't the Challenge Cup a Global event for our game that has fans that would like to watch it in the Southern Hemisphere?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

20 minutes ago, Allora said:

Isn't the Challenge Cup a Global event for our game that has fans that would like to watch it in the Southern Hemisphere?

Can't manage 2 lines without an edit.

You can watch it it's a Saturday night,is 23.00 too late for you.

20 hours ago, thirteenthman said:

By November, 7am in the UK will be 8pm in NZ. Not really sure the Kiwis would be wanting to kick off any later than that.

The 4am kick off  is because the GB v NZ game is part of a triple header with Tonga v Australia kicking off a couple of hours later. 

That game kicks iff at 17:00 local time 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Like I say I would not trust Aussies as far as I could throw them, and before anybody questions that statement the Tongan team is a collection of Australian born and raised player's who have a mindset of the schooling, district and social aspects of the country they reside and was brought up in, and that wasn't Tonga.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Like I say I would not trust Aussies as far as I could throw them, and before anybody questions that statement the Tongan team is a collection of Australian born and raised player's who have a mindset of the schooling, district and social aspects of the country they reside and was brought up in, and that wasn't Tonga.

In fairness Harry their reasoning for threatening this is due to the Tongan RL governance not GB itself.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

In fairness Harry their reasoning for threatening this is due to the Tongan RL governance not GB itself.

Whatever it is Tommy I don't retract from my statement, like I have said in the past, unless Aussie Tongan decedent's are going to send their pregnant wives and girlfriends over to the island to give birth then the team is not going to last that long under the Heritage ruling, and they won't be the only "RL playing nation", unless that is unless the ruling is changed.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Whatever it is Tommy I don't retract from my statement, like I have said in the past, unless Aussie Tongan decedent's are going to send their pregnant wives and girlfriends over to the island to give birth then the team is not going to last that long under the Heritage ruling, and they won't be the only "RL playing nation", unless that is unless the ruling is changed.

Different teams will come to the fore then under heritage though - lots of Eastern European and African migration both to Britain and Australia will change the old Irish and Italian migration patterns for example.

In all fairness the coach who the players are trying to defend insisted on taking the players back to Tonga before the WC in '17 and is keen on ingraining that link between players of heritage and the island itself. I also would totally understand if there were questions over the governance of the sport or cases of financial irregularities as anyone who's read into Pacific RU will know its par for the course almost.

Threatening a boycott is nuclear action but as we've seen in the Lebanon case players do care about the proper governance of the sport; even if only for their "heritage" nation. 

On 24/08/2019 at 18:51, Scubby said:

The one where I said GB have never played outside the M62 or London in over 70 years. It pretended to represent GB, but never bothered to play in either Wales or Scotland despite having superstars from those countries in the team. In fact it has never even bothered to play in other areas of England.

Its England that's why. Any one who knows the origins of the GB Lions knows we were first called England!

13 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

Its England that's why. Any one who knows the origins of the GB Lions knows we were first called England!

It was, then we started picking Welsh and Scottish players who said "We're not English" and so we played as "Great Britain" instead.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

So in effect it was not England Tommy, with the inclusion of Welsh and Scottish player's it had to be Gt Britain.

Totally. Sadly the powers that be still ran it as if it was England though judging by where games were played.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Totally. Sadly the powers that be still ran it as if it was England though judging by where games were played.

Yes but in those days when we were having bumper crowds 50's early 60's when it was ripe for expanding the game, it was thought better not to do so, the supremo of the RL at that time was Bill Fallowfield if I am correct, he sat back on his laurels I believe.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes but in those days when we were having bumper crowds 50's early 60's when it was ripe for expanding the game, it was thought better not to do so, the supremo of the RL at that time was Bill Fallowfield if I am correct, he sat back on his laurels I believe.

I have to admit I don't know the ins and outs of the RFL at the time but clearly it was an opportunity missed. 

Nevertheless internationals rather than exhibition or on the road club games remain the best vehicle for expansion in this country at least. IMO to get locals along (and therefore expand) you have to give them a team to support. Without a local club side then the national team should be utilised.

Archived