Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

We have had the conversation on heritage players being selected for Great Britain/England Harry. I have stated my preference for not selecting on this criteria. The squad has now been selected though and there are three Australians in there. 

I'm not delighted but I can live with 3 out of 24. There is no mileage left in this thread on discussing heritage players.

From this point on, I will concentrate on discussing which is the best team to select and then hoping they win.

I call it supporting my team, you may call it selling my soul, that is your prerogative (although a little melodramatic perhaps).

I used to use that very same description Dunbar, now I do not feel that connection the same.

12 hours ago, damp squib said:

Australians make more sense in that team than Irish.

Australia has the queen as head of state and a union flag in their flag. Ireland isn't even in the commonwealth.

You are Irish I believe Damp one, if so you are probably missing something with the Australian/British/English rivalry, to each other we are the enemy in sport and that is the way it should be.

I am quite happy you describe them as Australians, do you think when they put on the British jumper they will suddenly feel British? It makes no sense whatsoever selecting them in that team.

This isn't a particularly strong looking squad with the backs in particular looking very poor. It would no doubt have been far stronger with the injured players available but still some odd selections. Hall can count himself very, very lucky to be in that squad.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

8 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

We have teams that represents England,Scotland,Ireland & Wales...

A GB team should represent all 4 nations for it to make sense...this doesn't 

We pick the best players available.  Australia do not force themselves to pick players from all 6 states.

Looking through these posts, I sometimes wonder what goes through peoples heads in relation to player's in certain positions, and especially the centre spot.

Centre is one of the most technical positions to play on the field, they control the outside defence when to slide in and out, when to bring the winger in, cover for the winger when they drop back to position for kicks, if an 'umbrella' defence is utilused making the calls,  then being very proficient in all of the countless offensive attributes they need, committing both opposing centre and winger to clear the touch line for the winger, creating a two on one with the opposition, positioning the winger in our outside of him, there are countless other functions to perform and also having the ability to pass the ball, a small matter that Bennett overlooked in the '17 WC, Ryan Hall hardley got a pass from John Bateman in 8 games, Hall was redundant as an attacking force simply because of John Bateman's inability to pass the ball, anyone who disagrees is either deluding themselves or has a very short memory, had Bennett played Percival instead of Bateman then I believe Hall would have been utilised a lot more in the tournament and being as he was then one of our most potent attacking weapons that could have been a good idea.

You can't just shove someone in the centre spot and hope it works out, it takes a lot of familiarity and practice in that position to perform it with purpose and aplomb.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

This isn't a particularly strong looking squad with the backs in particular looking very poor. It would no doubt have been far stronger with the injured players available but still some odd selections. Hall can count himself very, very lucky to be in that squad.

??

The squad is full of quality half backs. The only forward not available for injury is Sam Burgess (SOL if you add him).  We do for sure miss possibly 3 wingers/centres who are injured, but you cannot criticize selectors for not selecting players who are injured!

We can all say we would choose player B rather than player A, but that's on the margin. Truman may be selected for the future, but I would have Tomkins even if he is from the past (he covers 3 positions, but I suppose the "tour" is very short), and I would have Farrell not Philbin, but Philbin done well this year so fair doos to him.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

??

The squad is full of quality half backs. The only forward not available for injury is Sam Burgess (SOL if you add him).  We do for sure miss possibly 3 wingers/centres who are injured, but you cannot criticize selectors for not selecting players who are injured!

We can all say we would choose player B rather than player A, but that's on the margin. Truman may be selected for the future, but I would have Tomkins even if he is from the past (he covers 3 positions, but I suppose the "tour" is very short), and I would have Farrell not Philbin, but Philbin done well this year so fair doos to him.

Honestly Rupert, who would add SO'L after his recent performances, and Farrell, I think he is a good player at club level, he is like Sinfield was, great performances in the domestic game but he is ineffective as he has prooved against the top two international nations even after numerous selections.

Forgive my ignorance (especially of NRL form) but which of these players have been (officially) declared injured/unavailable?

The rest we can assume, are not.

O'Loughlin - yes.

S.Burgess - yes

Gale - obviously

Makinson - I suppose so

Percival

Watkins

Watts - playing 9s

Currie

Ratchford

S.Tomkins - playing 9s

Sutton - playing 9s

G. Burgess

Grace

12 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

We have teams that represents England,Scotland,Ireland & Wales...

A GB team should represent all 4 nations for it to make sense...this doesn't 

The thing is they didn't want to devalue the shirt. If you start selecting players who aren't good enough, just because you need someone from Scotland, Wales and Ireland, then you devalue the achievements of previous GB players who were selected because they were the best we had.

I think they're using this tour as a way to keep the Great Britain brand alive - perhaps to keep the options open in case they should ever want to bring GB back more permanently.

Talking of old GB players, I was looking at this pic of Tony Fisher but I'm more interested in the stadium as there's a house that overlooks the pitch. I love that sort of thing. I'm a Southampton FC fan and I always remember at The Dell there was a block of flats that overlooked the pitch. I always used to think how cool it would have been to live somewhere that overlooks a sports stadium, so that you could watch matches for free. As stadiums improve and stands get bigger, that sort of thing doesn't happen much anymore.

I was wondering what stadium this would have been. I checked on Wikipedia and Tony Fisher played for Bradford Northern, Leeds and Castleford, so would it perhaps be one of those?

tony fisher.jpg

59 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Talking of old GB players, I was looking at this pic of Tony Fisher but I'm more interested in the stadium as there's a house that overlooks the pitch. I love that sort of thing. I'm a Southampton FC fan and I always remember at The Dell there was a block of flats that overlooked the pitch. I always used to think how cool it would have been to live somewhere that overlooks a sports stadium, so that you could watch matches for free. As stadiums improve and stands get bigger, that sort of thing doesn't happen much anymore.

I was wondering what stadium this would have been. I checked on Wikipedia and Tony Fisher played for Bradford Northern, Leeds and Castleford, so would it perhaps be one of those?

tony fisher.jpg

As he is wearing a GB shirt it is not relevant which clubs he played for,  I am struggling to come up with a positive answer for you defo not Bradford nor Cas, could it be Leeds? Anybody.

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As he is wearing a GB shirt it is not relevant which clubs he played for,  I am struggling to come up with a positive answer for you defo not Bradford nor Cas, could it be Leeds? Anybody.

I thought Leeds.

The last time I saw him he was coaching at Dewsbury using a stick if a player messed up.  Hard to believe but true.

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

tony fisher.jpg

Looks like the western terrace at headingley mate

I'm sure it has already been mentioned but great to see James Graham captain Great Britain. A fitting tribute to what has been a stellar career.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Looks like the western terrace at headingley mate

I'd have said it wasn't,  I know the WT is small but not that small.  Were the houses at the back on a rise as shown?  Would the advertising be so minimal? Admittedly there is a pylon on the corner...  Memory plays tricks I suppose. 

On 15/10/2019 at 13:21, 17 stone giant said:

tony fisher.jpg

That's Headingley 17. One of the hardest men I've had the pleasure to meet. Once asked him to sign my program after the 1970 floodlit final against Saints and he told me to **** off.

8 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I'd have said it wasn't,  I know the WT is small but not that small.  Were the houses at the back on a rise as shown?  Would the advertising be so minimal? Admittedly there is a pylon on the corner...  Memory plays tricks I suppose. 

Definitely Headingley Rupert.

On 15/10/2019 at 08:00, marklaspalmas said:

Forgive my ignorance (especially of NRL form) but which of these players have been (officially) declared injured/unavailable?

The rest we can assume, are not.

O'Loughlin - yes.

S.Burgess - yes

Gale - obviously

Makinson - I suppose so

Percival

Watkins

Watts - playing 9s

Currie

Ratchford

S.Tomkins - playing 9s

Sutton - playing 9s

G. Burgess

Grace

There was a statement about Burgess, Watkins and Stevie Ward not being available recently. I assume the Watkins one was to save face for him and let him get right for next year.

Currie is an interesting one, not thought of him. Assume he wasn't selected.

Sutton and George Burgess haven't really played enough to warrant selection I would have thought (Neither has Hall).

I think we can probably look at the 9s squad as the back-up squad and wouldn't be surprised if a couple stayed on such as Tomkins and Watts plus Sutton who is there anyway.

Grace and Ratchford can probably count themselves unlucky based on what is actually in the squad. Then again is Ratchford a better half/fullback option than Lomax? Probably not on the basis of this season whilst Hardaker covers center. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I know Sam isn't in this squad, but enjoy the impact.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived