Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

55 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

The point I'm making is that there needs to be consistency. Play always as GB, or play always as England, Scotland, and Wales. Pick one of the options and stick with it for every competition. If people love the old shirt so much, just let England wear it.

Or use GB as a rep team which it's an honour be involved in each tot years, at is happens with B&I Lions in ru. 
You can have both things. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Or use GB as a rep team which it's an honour be involved in each tot years, at is happens with B&I Lions in ru. 
You can have both things. 

1 hour ago, JoneslessBishop said:

No there doesn’t. The Lions doesn’t make international RU inconsistent. It just makes another event in a limited range of fixtures

I don't want to be unkind, but for me these two posts sum up the problem. People are trying to make comparisons with rugby union and are working on the basis that, if RU does it, so can/should RL.

Let me be clear - in principle you are both absolutely correct - you can have both. However, as things currently are, there is a world of difference between having such a set up in RU and having it in RL. If you ignore those differences then I'm afraid you aren't living with reality.

43 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I don't want to be unkind, but for me these two posts sum up the problem. People are trying to make comparisons with rugby union and are working on the basis that, if RU does it, so can/should RL.

Let me be clear - in principle you are both absolutely correct - you can have both. However, as things currently are, there is a world of difference between having such a set up in RU and having it in RL. If you ignore those differences then I'm afraid you aren't living with reality.

And in terms of national teams we are a world apart. But both teams have a limited number teams, more so from League, but this can provide some variety 

Not a massive fan of the return of GB, putting that aside though if we had something like this every 4 year cycle, 

1 - World Cup

2 - GB tour

3 - "2nd RLIF Tournament" (6-8 teams)/World Cup Qualifiers

4 - Full Euro Cup

It would give players from Wales & Scotland something to aim for every year.

2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

So any more news? Not gonna be much of a tour for GB if the Aussies want to come over here.

A tour of Hull, Huddersfield and Leeds. A bit like the old Hale and Pace sketch "if it's outside Yorkshire there is no point even visiting"

I well remember that sketch, parody par excellance, well it would have to be, wouldn't it?

• 1 month later...

http://www.seriousaboutrl.com/welsh-scottish-and-irish-lions-who-makes-the-squad-18037/

So, out of the five, that's three English and one Australian. Serious about RL, maybe, but it's hard not to find such an article laughable.

I'm not against playing as GB, but I just feel that if we're doing so, it should be as the national team for the UK, and not some RU style British and Irish Lions concept.

It would still be the Great Britain Lions, just as it's the Australian Kangaroos and New Zealand Kiwis.

And I'd play as GB all the time - home, away, four nations, world cup, the lot. I would stop the switching between GB and England. I don't think it helps either brand.

6 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Fine, but why does that mean England has to carry on? We never play them anyway.

Well, I'm assuming that you'd need the agreement of Wales and Scotland, if you were going to revert back to playing as Great Britain at the world cup, for example. 

I'm not sure exactly what you're proposing should happen, Jim.

37 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

So this is now about a year away and nothing has yet been confirmed... awful administration on both sides.

On the 6th Sept, I wrote to the RLIF asking when will we be able to see the itinery of this proposed tour with dates, venues etc as I was interested in going and would need the information to sort out being away, travel arrangements, hotels etc, I recieved a reply back within an hour saying it was not their domain it was the property of the RFL and their Australian equivalent body to make, set and publish the itinery, I copied and sent the same letter immediately to the RFL, since then not heard anything from them, not even an aknowledgment of reciept with notice of a follow up correspondence!

Breweries, ####-ups and organizing comes readily to mind. 

30 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Rimmer said on Back Chat the tour is still on, he is currently finalising it with Todd Greenberg, GB will play some ‘Oceania Cup’ nations in their own country and in Aus/New Zealand. No Ashes series.

Thanks MOK, I was under the impression that the Lions were being organised to resurrect the Ashes series, my interest in going has just been kiboshed.

31 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thanks MOK, I was under the impression that the Lions were being organised to resurrect the Ashes series, my interest in going has just been kiboshed.

Oh dear.

I imagine Greenberg & co will be happy for the Lions to play in Pacific nations as it helps with the NRL strategy to de-Unionise it.

On 9/22/2018 at 10:15 AM, Man of Kent said:

Oh dear.

I imagine Greenberg & co will be happy for the Lions to play in Pacific nations as it helps with the NRL strategy to de-Unionise it.

Then let them get on with it,

My pleasure and intention was to spend my hard earned on supporting Gt Britain in Australia in an Ashes series, irrespective of what appeals to others I consider this to be the pinnicle of Rugby League Football, losing the Ashes because of the aligning of the North and Southern hemisphere seasons has been for me the biggest casualty of Summer Rugby, and even though this was originally mooted to be a shortened series without the full midweek programme it still whetted my appitite to go.

The first Ashes game I attended was the 3rd test at Swnton in '67 (as a 14yr old) and not missed very many since that have been held on home soil, I was lucky enough to go on the last 'proper' full tour to Aus in '92, and was so looking forward to going again, but as I say with the schedule you advised me about it has drained my enthusiasm.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Then let them get on with it,

My pleasure and intention was to spend my hard earned on supporting Gt Britain in Australia in an Ashes series, irrespective of what appeals to others I consider this to be the pinnicle of Rugby League Football, losing the Ashes because of the aligning of the North and Southern hemisphere seasons has been for me the biggest casualty of Summer Rugby, and even though this was originally mooted to be a shortened series without the full midweek programme it still whetted my appitite to go.

The first Ashes game I attended was the 3rd test at Swnton in '67 (as a 14yr old) and not missed very many since that have been held on home soil, I was lucky enough to go on the last 'proper' full tour to Aus in '92, and was so looking forward to going again, but as I say with the schedule you advised me about it has drained my enthusiasm.

Sadly Australians don’t see international tours as the pinnacle of rugby league at the moment. The Kangaroos were too dominant, I suppose.

Incidentally, Fox League’s The Greatest show featured the second 1990 test earlier this month. What a game! 

18 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Sadly Australians don’t see international tours as the pinnacle of rugby league at the moment. The Kangaroos were too dominant, I suppose.

Incidentally, Fox League’s The Greatest show featured the second 1990 test earlier this month. What a game! 

What heartache remember it as though it was yesterday, 3 mins left and we had won the series, irrespective of the final games outcome, a drawn series goes to the home team.

I can see it now, it happened straight in front of me Ricky Stuart virtually on his own line dummies and wrong foots Lee Jackson goes about 60 or 70 yards and passes to Mal Maninga who scores, as usual events went against us, Martin Offiah had left the field injured I am sure if he had been on and able bodied he would have caught Stuart before he passed to Maninga.

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What heartache remember it as though it was yesterday, 3 mins left and we had won the series, irrespective of the final games outcome, a drawn series goes to the home team.

I can see it now, it happened straight in front of me Ricky Stuart virtually on his own line dummies and wrong foots Lee Jackson goes about 60 or 70 yards and passes to Mal Maninga who scores, as usual events went against us, Martin Offiah had left the field injured I am sure if he had been on and able bodied he would have caught Stuart before he passed to Maninga.

They probably deserved it, in truth. They had scored the 'try of the century' and Meninga missed a few easy goals.

What struck me about watching that was the space available compared to the modern game. GB had a remarkably passive defence.   

Archived