John Flatman

Les Ironcats

I live in Scunthorpe, and I attend about 20 RL games a season, even though I have no allegiance to any specific club ( although I admit to a particular liking for Catalans because it means I have to go to the South of France to watch them ). 

This Sunday's game has been on my calendar since the cup draw was made, but because of  other commitments I wasn't in a position to book a ticket until Thursday morning. When I looked to buy a ticket online I could see no option to collect the ticket from the ground on game day, before committing to buying, even though I had done exactly this before last season's Toronto game, so I emailed the club just to confirm this was possible.

10 or so minutes after sending the email I received a phone call from John Flatman saying he would personally ensure a ticket was left for me at the ticket office to collect. I do not know John, I have never met him or spoken to him before, but we had a short conversation during which I said how impressed I was with the progress the Knights were making on and off the field. 

It was  a pleasure to speak to John, this to me epitomises the true spirit and enthusiasm of the club,following it's emergence from less enlightened times.

I'm sure there are people like John giving unstintingly of their time and efforts at most Championship and League 1 clubs ( I went to Batley Toulouse last week, it gladdened my heart to appreciate first hand the lovely set up there), so good luck to John and all the volunteers at York and elsewhere, doing much unheralded work throughout our great game.

I saw the Knights at Doncaster earlier this season but this will be my 1st visit to Bootham Crescent since the Toronto game last July. I hope everybody's efforts are rewarded with a bumper crowd, good luck for the rest of the season.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 8:34 PM, AB Knight said:

Hope you enjoy your visit Sunday and return to Bootham Crescent again :-)

Thanks, I really enjoyed the game, terrific atmosphere in the main stand. The more I see of James Ford the more impressed I am. After the final hooter, with many in my vicinity baying for the referee's blood, I watched him walk to the match officials leaving the pitch, to shake their hands and thank them. I am not naive enough to realise harsher words may have been exchanged away from prying eyes, but, I for one, appreciated this dignified gesture, when some coaches I can think of would have indulged in crowd pleasing remonstrating.

I will definitely be coming to Bootham Crescent more regularly, I think York play some wonderful rugby.

I have only 2 minor gripes about  my day, Brigantes, closed for refurbishment, and I was 5 tickets away from winning the £175 half time draw.

I like the £5 off vouchers for the next game, I hope enough people were sufficiently impressed with yesterday's performance to take advantage of the initiative.

Thanks again for everybody's friendliness, on this forum and at the game, in particular Jon Flatman, looking forward to my next visit.

In the earlier days of the Knights I used to sit next to some fans who would travel from Rotherham for home games, sadly the wider fanbase melted away but the good times are returning.

James also went and shook the hands of each and every Catalan player after the hooter.

Archived