M.O.M. LEAGUE TABLE

Steve Slater

At the half-way stage of the regular season the voting for the TotalRL.com Man of the Match trophy stands as such:-

1st with 24 points: Luke Briscoe

2nd with 11 points: Tom Holmes

3rd= with 6 points: Martin Ridyard & Matty Wildie

5th with 5 points: Mitch Clark

6th with 4 points: Josh Hardcastle

7th= with 3 points: John Davies & Keal Carlile

9th= with 2 points: Anthony Thackeray, Harry Newman & Frankie Mariano

12th= with 1 point: Misi Taulapapa, Ian Hardman, Luke Cooper & Brad Knowles.

I like the MOM vote.  It means something because at the end the season the winner gets a trophy and you would think they appreciate that recognition from the supporters.  It's always interesting to see how others have seen the game as well.  A bit of a shame then that relatively so few of us regularly vote.

Looking at the voting so far it does throw up some odd things though.  Yes we would probably all agree with the top 3 being Briscoe, Holmes and Riddy but how does Farrell not feature in the top 15 players ?  I suppose this is a issue with the 'steadier' players.  i.e. Farrell might get a lot of '4th best player' each week which doesn't  get him any points.  Conversely Frankie, as more of an impact player, picked up quite a few points despite playing nowhere near as much.  That brings up a question of should we be getting rid of the impact type players and leaving us with steadier players in the same position.  Just a thought.

13 hours ago, RobLambert said:

I like the MOM vote.  It means something because at the end the season the winner gets a trophy and you would think they appreciate that recognition from the supporters.  It's always interesting to see how others have seen the game as well.  A bit of a shame then that relatively so few of us regularly vote.

Looking at the voting so far it does throw up some odd things though.  Yes we would probably all agree with the top 3 being Briscoe, Holmes and Riddy but how does Farrell not feature in the top 15 players ?  I suppose this is a issue with the 'steadier' players.  i.e. Farrell might get a lot of '4th best player' each week which doesn't  get him any points.  Conversely Frankie, as more of an impact player, picked up quite a few points despite playing nowhere near as much.  That brings up a question of should we be getting rid of the impact type players and leaving us with steadier players in the same position.  Just a thought.

Some interesting points there especially about Farrell - I'd throw Robinson into the same bracket as I reckon most of us would say he has been very good since joining us but he doesn't figure on Steve's leader board at all (though it looks like he'll pick up some points for the Batley game).

Neither Farrell or Robinson are the types to produce 40/50 yard runs and to be fair man-of-the-match nominations tend to reward players who do exceptional things that stand out rather than steadiness/consistency...on the other hand to be at the top of the table you have to do those exceptional things on numerous occasions, which is why Briscoe is clear at the top.

One other thing I've noticed is that quite a few people seem to be putting their nominations up a bit later ie the day after the game, my guess is more people are waiting to have their second view on RoversTV before putting their votes in (and more people are probably voting overall as they can watch on RoversTV within 24 hours even if they miss the game).

15 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

One other thing I've noticed is that quite a few people seem to be putting their nominations up a bit later ie the day after the game, my guess is more people are waiting to have their second view on RoversTV before putting their votes in (and more people are probably voting overall as they can watch on RoversTV within 24 hours even if they miss the game).

Yup. There are times when a view of the game taken with a cooler head removed of match day emotion yeilds much more... 

It does come down to personal opinion as well, what people want from a player, I like a grafter, yes they might miss a tackle or knock on but for 75 minutes they work hard, I also like a player, like Briscoe, who’s full of confidence and knows when he can beat a man and backs himself, Knowles, whose discipline has improved 10 fold and shows composure. Some people vote for their favourite players, good, bad or indifferent, one time I recall someone voting for Baldwinson as they did every week and he didn’t even play!! Impact players will always stand out....

I like to watch the playback before I vote, mainly to get things right. I sometimes end up with egg on my face though when I write in the paper that someone gave the final pass and the video shows it was someone else, and I can often change my opinion on the gamestar. For me though, the most important thing is to see who's responsible for the defensive lapses that give the tries away, and that can often change my view on the M.O.M.

• 3 months later...

Now that the regular season has finished I thought I may as well update the Man of the Match League Table. It's a pity that the end of season winner is virtually guaranteed and can't be caught. With Tom Holmes injured only John Davies can catch Luke Briscoe, and to do that he would have to win every vote in the remaining 5 matches, including the Shield Final.

The table also gives an indication on why the club missed out on the Top 4? Holmes is still in second place although he hasn't played since the Summer Bash, and Davies, who finished first and second in the last two years, only had 3 points leading up to the Barrow home game, then has picked up three outright Man of the Match awards in the last 7 games. It makes you think how things would have progressed without his hand injury  which affected his form so much? Gareth Hock didn't pick up a single point in the first 13 games, yet picked up two firsts, a second and a third in the last 13, even though he missed several of those games through suspension.

Here are the leading candidates for the top three places in the table:-

Briscoe, 27 points; Holmes, 16; Davies, 12; Hardcastle, 11; Wildie, 10; Thackeray & Hock, 9, Wheeldon & Robinson, 7; Ridyard & Carlile, 6.

• 1 month later...

Update after Leigh game in the 8's:

Briscoe, 27 points; Davies, 19 points; Holmes, 16 points; Thackeray, 13 points; Hardcastle, 12 points; Wildie, 10 points.

• 4 weeks later...

Going into today's Shield Final against Leigh the top three places are already decided, Luke Briscoe cannot be caught on 27 points, second placed John Davies has 24 and cannot be caught by Josh Hardcastle in third with twenty, while fourth placed Anthony Thackeray has 17, but cannot catch Josh because of his suspension.

Fifth to eighth places are:- Tom Holmes, 16 points, Gareth Hock, 9, Luke Cooper and Martyn Ridyard, 8 apiece.

The voting grid shows some interesting reading. In the first 19 games John Davies was awarded a meagre three points, but starting with the Barrow home league game on 17th June he has  massed a massive 21 points , including five outright firsts, in just 14 games. Although his thumb injury didn't stop him playing, it shows that it wasn't just the injuries to Holmes and Ridyard that affected our Top 4 chances.  

I was hoping to present the Trophy to Luke Briscoe after today's final, but after a scan prevented him playing he won't be at the game, so the presentation will have to go on hold.

40 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

The voting grid shows some interesting reading. In the first 19 games John Davies was awarded a meagre three points, but starting with the Barrow home league game on 17th June he has  massed a massive 21 points , including five outright firsts, in just 14 games. Although his thumb injury didn't stop him playing, it shows that it wasn't just the injuries to Holmes and Ridyard that affected our Top 4 chances.  

Thank you for running this again Steve and as you say it really highlights some interesting stuff especially regarding John Davies, he really was back to his brilliant best in the 2nd half of the season. I still remember all the London players shouting " get Davies" when they had the ball at their place early in the season and I am sure they knew he wasn't 100%.

10 hours ago, Fev1983 said:

I thought I saw briscoe on the pitch at the end?

He was at the game with his Dad 

Im Fev and im proud

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, Steve Slater said:

I was hoping to present the Trophy to Luke Briscoe after today's final, but after a scan prevented him playing he won't be at the game, so the presentation will have to go on hold.

Plenty of announcements why wasn't that amongst them?

It's always fascinating how different systems work. I usually go on the League Express Man of the Match awards, usually done at home by some bloke called Steve Slater! It gives a completely different result.

Joint TOP: Ian Hardman and Martyn Ridyard with 5. Joint 3rd place: Luke Briscoe and Tom Homes with 4 and Joint 5th place: John Davies, Josh Hardcastle and Anthony Thackeray with 3.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:04 PM, Fev1983 said:

I thought I saw briscoe on the pitch at the end?

I obviously got fed the wrong information, but I've been trying to contact Luke for quite a few weeks, mainly by pm's on facebook but got nothing back. If anyone knows him well can they please ask him to ring me on 07752 871497 so that I can make arrangements to present him with the trophy. 

9 hours ago, fevnut said:

It's always fascinating how different systems work. I usually go on the League Express Man of the Match awards, usually done at home by some bloke called Steve Slater! It gives a completely different result.

Joint TOP: Ian Hardman and Martyn Ridyard with 5. Joint 3rd place: Luke Briscoe and Tom Homes with 4 and Joint 5th place: John Davies, Josh Hardcastle and Anthony Thackeray with 3.

I have a 6:30pm deadline Chris so have to make a snap decision on the star man for both sides. After watching it back on RoversTV I often change my mind. 

10 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

I obviously got fed the wrong information, but I've been trying to contact Luke for quite a few weeks, mainly by pm's on facebook but got nothing back. If anyone knows him well can they please ask him to ring me on 07752 871497 so that I can make arrangements to present him with the trophy. 

Maybe you could do it at the AGM next week?

Archived