Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Saw Endgame last night with Mrs Phil, daughter and her boyfriend. I loved it, wife and daughter shedding copious tears at end.

No spoilers though!!!

I went this afternoon.  I enjoyed it.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 25/04/2019 at 15:57, andyscoot said:

Having seen Endgame, what you said about shirtless characters seems quite funny (you'll know what I mean)

Finally I have the body of a superhero! 

• Haha 1

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

12 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Off to watch End Game in a bit. Must make sure I have a wee and a poo before the film starts ?

I’m away on holiday. Have I missed a previous trip to the cinema were you shat and ###### yourself?.  

• Haha 1

Watched Endgame last night. The start feels a little disjointed, and while I’ve not seen Captain Marvel she didn’t seem to completely click with the other characters. That said she suffers from the superman problem, that no issue should really take her more than 10 seconds to fix. 

Overall I loved it though and were that the last film in the MCU it would feel ok. (Even though we know it won’t be)

• 4 weeks later...

Went to see Rocketman, the new Elton John biopic.

It's a thumbs aloft from me. ?

It's very different in style to Bohemian Rhapsody, even though it (partially) shares the same director, Dexter Fletcher. 

It's more of a musical, with the songs used to illustrate certain periods of EJ's life, so if you're a fan, you'll find it quite disconcerting at first that they pop up completely out of order to their 'real life' release dates, but once you get used to it, it's remarkable how well the lyrics fit in with the overall narrative.

For those who weren't happy that BoRap airbrushed the more decadent elements of Freddie Mercury's life, this one is slightly more upfront about the kind of excesses EJ got up to, and also the consequences, though they are often portrayed in larger than life musical sequences.

It's not subtle, but it is a lot of fun, with a regulation quota of 'I think I have something in my eye' moments too.

Taron Egerton is good in the main role, though he doesn't have the quite the same uncanny resemblance to EJ as Rami Malek did to Freddie Mercury.

• Like 1

Something that I'm sure will be of interest to fans of Fellini, Godard, Bresson, etc., but it appears work is about to start on a new Bill and Ted adventure.

The worry is that this could suffer from the 'difficult third album' syndrome, and turn out to be totally heinous, but, at the moment, I'd give it a cautious

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dc6Pre77AY

Always a bit behind with my films , wait till they are on tv .....on Sunday watched a film called ARRIVAL , Sci-fi job that i watched waiting for it all to make sense , no such luck .....Best thing though as the credits rolled , the announcer said "That was Arrival...pause....Not a Clue " I am in full agreement , since read several reviews which all praised the Film up , but interestingly not one review actually explained what the hell it was about or what conclusions could be drawn , or what the flashbacks had to do with it , or how the lead character suddenly out of nowhere could understand the aliens written language after being baffled before ......Can any body shed any light ?  

4 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Something that I'm sure will be of interest to fans of Fellini, Godard, Bresson, etc., but it appears work is about to start on a new Bill and Ted adventure.

The worry is that this could suffer from the 'difficult third album' syndrome, and turn out to be totally heinous, but, at the moment, I'd give it a cautious

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dc6Pre77AY

This makes me nervous. Here's hoping it lives up to fans' hopes, not down to their fears.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Always a bit behind with my films , wait till they are on tv .....on Sunday watched a film called ARRIVAL , Sci-fi job that i watched waiting for it all to make sense , no such luck .....Best thing though as the credits rolled , the announcer said "That was Arrival...pause....Not a Clue " I am in full agreement , since read several reviews which all praised the Film up , but interestingly not one review actually explained what the hell it was about or what conclusions could be drawn , or what the flashbacks had to do with it , or how the lead character suddenly out of nowhere could understand the aliens written language after being baffled before ......Can any body shed any light ?  

Here you go.

Although even that makes what was a pretty straightforward film seem more complicated.

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/arrival/43968/arrival-explaining-its-ending-huge-spoilers

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 3 months later...

The Guardian's 100 Best Films of the 21st Century https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/13/100-best-films-movies-of-the-21st-century?CMP=share_btn_tw

No Lego Movie. No Toy Story 3.

These people are fools.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The Guardian's 100 Best Films of the 21st Century https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/13/100-best-films-movies-of-the-21st-century?CMP=share_btn_tw

These people are fools.

Seen 14.

Most of that list wouldn't get close to the all time top 100 (imo). 

I do like the top 3 though. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 13/09/2019 at 09:50, gingerjon said:

These people are fools.

14, many of which are the 'low brow' choices. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

14, many of which are the 'low brow' choices. 

I think it's 24 for me. There are some odd omissions (and I wasn't joking that I'm surprised Toy Story 3 and Lego Movie aren't there) but then there always are in such lists.

On 13/09/2019 at 09:50, gingerjon said:

These people are fools.

I have only seen seven of those. Mind you, I watch more older movies than modern ones, so some of these may appear on my radar in years to come.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson