Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

On 13/09/2019 at 09:50, gingerjon said:

The Guardian's 100 Best Films of the 21st Century https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/13/100-best-films-movies-of-the-21st-century?CMP=share_btn_tw

No Lego Movie. No Toy Story 3.

These people are fools.

Unless I scanned it too quickly, I can't see Spielberg's 'Bridge of Spies'.

A startling omission, I would have thought!

I also thought Brooklyn might have been in there somewhere.

19 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Hope it lives up to the expectations 

The reviews so far seem to say its very much worth a watch.  Interested to see how well it goes down with comic book fans rather than general reviewers.  

I also hope JoJo Rabbit lives up to the trailer too.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 14/09/2019 at 16:26, Futtocks said:

I watch more older movies than modern ones, so some of these may appear on my radar in years to come.

I think remakes, poor scripts and general subject matter of films is on the disappointing end of what I'm looking for, at present.

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Always well behind with my films , but watched the so called masterpiece "There will be blood " on Paramount the other night .Too long , dull , slow moving , not a particular exciting or interesting storyline , sombre and got tired of Daniel Day Lewis drawling his way along (He won an oscar for this film ).I can appreciate the "arty" way it was filmed and the drab use of little colour to make it look early 1900 s , but i`m afraid it failed to hook me in .

19 hours ago, John Drake said:

I watched Monty Python's Life of Brian on Netflix this week.

A work of genius(es).

always worth another watch?

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

no country for old men gets my vote in that list,

no deerhunter/scarface/rambo/lansky/christine/forrest gump/shindlers list/one flew over the cuckoos nest/godfather.private ryan/once upon a time in america/django.southern comfort.

On 26/09/2019 at 18:11, silverback said:

no deerhunter/scarface/rambo/lansky/christine/forrest gump/shindlers list/one flew over the cuckoos nest/godfather.private ryan/once upon a time in america/django.southern comfort.

All of those, bar Django (unless you mean the 60s Franco Nero one) were released before 2000 so wouldn't be considered in a list for best films of the century.

I watched The Farewell over the weekend. Not for everyone since it's mostly subtitled (an American girl goes to China) but I thought it was fantastic. Probably my favourite film of 2019.

On 13/09/2019 at 09:50, gingerjon said:

The Guardian's 100 Best Films of the 21st Century https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/13/100-best-films-movies-of-the-21st-century?CMP=share_btn_tw

No Lego Movie. No Toy Story 3.

These people are fools.

I have only seen a handful of them. How can Team America be in the top 10? It is good but not that good.

8 hours ago, andyscoot said:

All of those, bar Django (unless you mean the 60s Franco Nero one) were released before 2000 so wouldn't be considered in a list for best films of the century.

I watched The Farewell over the weekend. Not for everyone since it's mostly subtitled (an American girl goes to China) but I thought it was fantastic. Probably my favourite film of 2019.

ha ha, i see now..cheers, well have just got back from rambo last blood and it were ace.bit gory for john j but a cracking film for sure.   joker friday and i cant wait.:kolobok_popcorm1:

This morning, in our hotel room in Mende, France. Shaun the Sheep... In French.  Well, when I say in French, a sort of silent movie in French, plus one or two things in French where that could be done: restaurant menu, the odd signpost. Could not change the shop front that said Fish and Chips, or everyone driving on the left.... ?

59 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Not sure whether to watch Life of Brian tonight, or 1977 version of Assault on Precinct 13

Dilemma! Both excellent.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

In the end.... Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

I watched Blind Fury, which is always entertaining.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson