Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a thing - I have known about the movie The 5,000 Fingers of Dr T for decades, but never got around to watching it, despite being interested by almost everything about it.
Well, it is currently on Amazon Prime, I saw it yesterday evening and it is amazing! If you don't know about it, it is a musical (with not too many songs) about a boy who has nightmares about his piano teacher, which sounds unpromising. BUT this is written by Dr Seuss himself!

In addition, the music's entertaining, the set design is awesomely nuts and even the central character isn't the usual bowl-cut rectal irritant child star. The other three main characters do a great job too. Recommended, absolutely!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

watched "the foreigner" the other night jackie chan and pierce brosnan a very good watch.

image.jpeg.8e465e44b63bf5187d20fe2d15e6cf50.jpeg

Edited by my missus

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Went to see Honeyland the other night. A film about a Macedonian beekeeper might not sound particularly enthralling but it's a fantastic piece of cinema.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Thanks to Meerkat, enjoyed a fantastic screening of the original 'The Shining' last week. It is a wonderfully intense experience. Only issue I have is the casting of JN. I read Stephen King's issues with him in the Torrance role, and agree. He is just so sinister, it comes as no surprise that he ends up as an axe wielding maniac.

On Amazon Prime, watched 41, a great Australian quirky time travelling film.

On 27/10/2019 at 16:44, distantdog said:

Thanks to Meerkat, enjoyed a fantastic screening of the original 'The Shining' last week. It is a wonderfully intense experience. Only issue I have is the casting of JN. I read Stephen King's issues with him in the Torrance role, and agree. He is just so sinister, it comes as no surprise that he ends up as an axe wielding maniac.

On Amazon Prime, watched 41, a great Australian quirky time travelling film.

just seen the doctor sleep last night,far too slow and some pointless bits n bobs, some scarey bits but nothing to write home about for me, and guy in front a me were asleep from halfway point,:kolobok_popcorm1:

next up the irishman from scorsese.

1 minute ago, silverback said:

just seen the doctor sleep last night,far too slow and some pointless bits n bobs, some scarey bits but nothing to write home about for me, and guy in front a me were asleep from halfway point,:kolobok_popcorm1:

next up the irishman from scorsese.

Interesting. me and fellow meerkat not sure whether to bother with this or just wait until it arrives on netflix

On 13/09/2019 at 10:50, gingerjon said:

The Guardian's 100 Best Films of the 21st Century https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/13/100-best-films-movies-of-the-21st-century?CMP=share_btn_tw

No Lego Movie. No Toy Story 3.

These people are fools.

To save me confirming, it was a tie between Predator and Paddington 2?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2019 at 14:12, distantdog said:

Interesting. me and fellow meerkat not sure whether to bother with this or just wait until it arrives on netflix

well  i managed to get to see the irshman last night in wakefield,not showing at the odeons and ciniworlds but found it in ridings(reel cinema)

great film with some stunning filmwork and digital ageing back and forth thruout. a bit too much courtroom politics with hoffa rather than clipping scenes, a bit drawn out over 3 n half hours but well worth it. best cinema seats have ever sat in too with no need to shuffle about all the time. big coke and popcorn for a fiver,and 25% off your supper in the grill next door too if you take your cinema ticket, whats not to like,

(try spot the mistake when he reverses out of his driveway in a  blue 57 dodge royal,and pulls away forward in same shot in a  very dark green lincoln continental.)

not in same league at scarface or godfather, more a tame goodfellas.:kolobok_popcorm1:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Booked tickets for Rise of Skywalker on Sunday.

Feels kinda sad way to say goodbye to a cherished thing from my childhood.

Who can forget Han Solo’s immortal line about rugby league:

”Look kid, I’ve travelled from one side of the M62 to the other.  I’ve seen a lot of strange stuff.  But I haven’t seen anything to convince me there’s one all powerful farce controlling everything!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 18/11/2019 at 12:35, silverback said:

well  i managed to get to see the irshman last night in wakefield,not showing at the odeons and ciniworlds but found it in ridings(reel cinema)

great film with some stunning filmwork and digital ageing back and forth thruout. a bit too much courtroom politics with hoffa rather than clipping scenes, a bit drawn out over 3 n half hours but well worth it. best cinema seats have ever sat in too with no need to shuffle about all the time. big coke and popcorn for a fiver,and 25% off your supper in the grill next door too if you take your cinema ticket, whats not to like,

(try spot the mistake when he reverses out of his driveway in a  blue 57 dodge royal,and pulls away forward in same shot in a  very dark green lincoln continental.)

not in same league at scarface or godfather, more a tame goodfellas.:kolobok_popcorm1:

I really enjoyed it . I thought Pacino stole the show as Jimmy Hoffa . He really give it max ! His interplay with De Niro ... ‘they wouldn’t dare , don’t say they wouldn’t dare...’

• Like 1

I saw Knives Out t'other week. Quite a clever Whodunnit. A bit slow, very talky, but engrossing. Unnecessarily starry cast n'all. Daniel Craig, Toni Collette, Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, Christopher Plummer, the wage bill must have been huge and some of them didn't get a lot to do.

I also went to see Last Christmas, one of the most derided films of the year.

Shock, horror, it wasn't nearly as bad as the critics made out. I sat through it to the end and my eyeballs didn't jump out and go home in protest.

Ok, it's not exactly what you'd call a good film, artistically speaking, and I can see why joyless movie critics would hate it, as it's a load of sentimental nonsense with an implausible plot and weak characterisation. But it's Christmas!! Who wants to watch The Seventh Seal at this time of year when you can watch Daenerys Targaryen mugging about in an elf suit singing George Michael songs?

That said, I'm not brave enough to go see Cats. ?

18 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Saw Star Wars on Sunday and enjoyed it.

Have to say it brought a tear to my eye too as something so meaningful from my childhood finally reached its conclusion.

I understand that Disney will launch spinoffs but I think this is it for the main story and original cast.

Sorry, i thought it was terrible only slightly better than the Last Jedi.

It seemed to be parts of episodes 4, 5 and 6 stitched together.  

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

39 minutes ago, jacksy said:

I enjoyed it without thinking it was a better film than the original trilogy which all had a big impact on me when younger.

It’s no Citizen Kane that’s for sure, and I don’t think it’s the intention either, just the revisiting of a space opera morality tale.

I believe the big issue is that something that wowed me as a child is not going to wow me now as an adult, despite that though it brought back sentimental feelings.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Yep, dreadful. Went to the midnight release and left feeling so deflated. I can accept anything happening but it has to make sense. I felt (and I strongly suspect I might be right here) that the "twists" were only written when it came time to write this movie or late on in the process of the second. They make no sense within the storylines they themselves have created. I don't want to post spoilers so I won't but none of it is earned at all.

It was really poorly paced. It seems to just be ADHD the movie until the decided they needed to end it and then everyone downs tools to do it. Nothing they faced was solved by the characters actually using their brains or brawn even; things just resolved themselves by coincidence most of the time. 

So unsatisfying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I enjoyed it without thinking it was a better film than the original trilogy which all had a big impact on me when younger.

It’s no Citizen Kane that’s for sure, and I don’t think it’s the intention either, just the revisiting of a space opera morality tale.

I believe the big issue is that something that wowed me as a child is not going to wow me now as an adult, despite that though it brought back sentimental feelings.

Both my son and I felt it was just terrible. But each to their own and everybody has different views.

I much preferred the Rogue One and Solo movies to the last three SW movies. 

I am OT child, i was 12 when it arrived in 77. So i am not bashing it out of spite. 

Edited by jacksy

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

6 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Both my son and I felt it was just terrible. But each to their own and everybody has different views.

I much preferred the Rogue One and Solo movies to the last three SW movies. 

I am OT child, i was 12 when it arrived in 77. So i am not bashing it out of spite. 

Fair enough, I don’t doubt the integrity of your comments.

I think agree that Rogue One and the underrated Solo have stronger performances in them.

I think it was always a tall order to bring peace to the Star Wars galaxy of fans for the new directors!

• Like 2