Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

The football was called off at the last minute so I fired up Netflix to watch Fighting with My Family.

And it's brilliant.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 24/12/2019 at 16:18, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think it was always a tall order to bring peace to the Star Wars galaxy of fans for the new directors!

I don't think they did a bad job, tbh.

The army of wide eyed kids who watched the original film in 1977 couldn't go online on forums and twitter and whatnot to pull the plot to bits within minutes of the closing credits, so it left a joyous unsullied mark on many memories that could never truly be repeated or surpassed.

I remember watching it in the Bradford Odeon, aged 11, and before the film started, the lights went out and a glitterball descended from the roof to project a 'starscape' all around the auditorium. I thought that was amazing at the time. 

Moviegoers in 2019 are a lot more savvy, cynical and hard to impress. And that's just the 11 year olds, let alone those who have had 40 years of growing up get in the way of their childlike wonder since 1977!!

I think you have to go watch these things in the right frame of mind. Don't expect miracles. Just enjoy the ride.

Personally, I've loved seeing the return of Han, Chewbacca, Luke, Leia and company to the big screen these past few years.

• Like 4

Some films are good but depressing

image.png.58d58f76d7c4ad42849b5dec612c8125.png

And thanks to whoever suggested 41 worth a look despite the low budget feel, enjoyed it very much.

The Two Popes was watching paint dry with a great cast.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Eraserhead - David Lynch, 1977: One of my favorite movies, and so far Lynch's best film, even with Mulholland Dr being in the mix. It works for me in part because of the unique cinematography and visuals that lend it a dark, unsettling atmosphere and of course the droning sound design that always features something playing the background, so there's never a moment of silence. The location plays a large part in it as well, because you aren't quite sure where we are, but it's somewhere wholly unique and terrifying. All of it comes together to create a fantastically surreal piece, and that's not even including the "baby" and Jack Nance's performance. I think I'll try to make watching it on Halloween a tradition. 

Hangover Square (1945) - a great old movie about a series of killings set at the start of the 20th century that is oozing with atmosphere, great music and cinematography.

Make Way For Tomorrow (1937) - a movie about an old couple with financial problems and adult children who don’t really care. The final third of the movie is beautiful and only the hardest of hearts could remain unmoved.

4 hours ago, Copa said:

Hangover Square (1945) - a great old movie about a series of killings set at the start of the 20th century that is oozing with atmosphere, great music and cinematography.

Make Way For Tomorrow (1937) - a movie about an old couple with financial problems and adult children who don’t really care. The final third of the movie is beautiful and only the hardest of hearts could remain unmoved.

You'd love this UK TV channel.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 23/12/2019 at 15:37, John Drake said:

I saw Knives Out t'other week. Quite a clever Whodunnit. A bit slow, very talky, but engrossing. Unnecessarily starry cast n'all. Daniel Craig, Toni Collette, Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, Christopher Plummer, the wage bill must have been huge and some of them didn't get a lot to do

I enjoyed it. Daniel Craig's accent was a thing of beauty.

I'm off to see JoJo Rabbit now. I'll report back.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

watched 6 underground on netflix tother night and it is very good it has a fantastic 20min car chase at the beginning.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Went to see The Gentlemen tonight, directed by Guy Ritchie.

I'm not usually one for gangster capers, not my bag at all, so I can't say whether it's good or not compared to the best of the genre, but after being talked into seeing it by a friend, I sat through this and didn't fall out with them at the end of it, so it can't be all bad.

The story is told mainly in flashback, and it has a good number of twists and turns, but to me the plot and the characters were a bit cartoonish and unbelievable. Hugh Grant playing against type and Colin Farrell are the most memorable, but none of them are remotely likeable, and when you don't care what happens to the characters it can result in a fairly uninvolving couple of hours.

On 08/01/2020 at 16:19, my missus said:

watched 6 underground on netflix tother night and it is very good it has a fantastic 20min car chase at the beginning.

It's bonkers but strangely enjoyable to watch. So many deaths, in some entertaining ways.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

JoJo rabbit was an intriguing, funny and sad film. Excellent central performance by Roman Griffin Davis as JoJo and director Taika Waititi does an excellent job in imagining a version of Hitler conjured up by a child brainwashed by Hitler Youth. Sam Rockwell and Stephan Merchant have great fun hamming up their Nazi stereotypes.

it won't be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed its weirdness.

• Like 1

Went to see Just Mercy today - based on a true story and, for once, pretty accurately.

Excellent ensemble acting and it didn't drag, even at 135 minutes.

watched half of the Irishman last nite- whoever cast Stephen graham in that should be no where near the Oscars, I know hes the flavour of the month but his accent just didn't cut it, al pacinos impression of Duncan Ballantine from dragons den is good though, all in all more low pitched mumbling and grumbling f that f that mutha feffing this n that, would have to be very bored to watch the rest of it

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

It may interest some to know that Netflix have acquired the streaming rights to the entire Studio Ghibli back catalogue.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It may interest some to know that Netflix have acquired the streaming rights to the entire Studio Ghibli back catalogue.

...just after I cancelled my contract with them! ?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watched Dunkirk on Prime and was impressed.  Star Wars at cinema over xmas was ok but not really memorable or outstanding.  

1917 gets rave reviews.  Anybody watched that?  Family ticket at my local Savoy is £38 so I would like some reassurance before shelling out.

16 minutes ago, Charlie RL said:

1917 gets rave reviews.  Anybody watched that?

"Oh no! Brown people!" The Laurence Fox Movie Blog.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Charlie RL said:

Watched Dunkirk on Prime and was impressed.  Star Wars at cinema over xmas was ok but not really memorable or outstanding.  

1917 gets rave reviews.  Anybody watched that?  Family ticket at my local Savoy is £38 so I would like some reassurance before shelling out.

Saw it today at Cineworld, White Rose, Leeds on the IMAX screen. Every bit as good as the hype, it’s not for the faint hearted or anyone with sensitive hearing. The volume level especially in the IMAX screening is as high as anything I’ve heard

• Like 1

On 31/12/2019 at 13:56, Moralgy said:

Eraserhead - David Lynch, 1977: One of my favorite movies, and so far Lynch's best film, even with Mulholland Dr being in the mix. It works for me in part because of the unique cinematography and visuals that lend it a dark, unsettling atmosphere and of course the droning sound design that always features something playing the background, so there's never a moment of silence. The location plays a large part in it as well, because you aren't quite sure where we are, but it's somewhere wholly unique and terrifying. All of it comes together to create a fantastically surreal piece, and that's not even including the "baby" and Jack Nance's performance. I think I'll try to make watching it on Halloween a tradition. 

because of this post i watched eraserhead again last night, i was seriously effected by it in 1977 and can say i am again traumatised i never realised how much Twin Peaks draws from this film.

David lynch has a lot to answer for.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)