Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

On 19/01/2020 at 11:32, graveyard johnny said:

watched half of the Irishman last nite- whoever cast Stephen graham in that should be no where near the Oscars, I know hes the flavour of the month but his accent just didn't cut it, al pacinos impression of Duncan Ballantine from dragons den is good though, all in all more low pitched mumbling and grumbling f that f that mutha feffing this n that, would have to be very bored to watch the rest of it

I think its absolutely brilliant. I went to see it with my brother and when it ended I immediately turned to him and said, "I think that is Martin Scorcese's best film". I couldn't believe that 3 and half hours could pass so quickly. One of the things that makes it so fantastic is that it is a gangster film that actually explores a person's character rather than just uses the character as an instrument to tell a story.

It is about a man and how he struggles with the decisions he's made in his life, essentially exploring his regrets and how that has slowly worn away his actual person. The last hour or so really illustrates this when you see De Niro's character as an old man , the last remaining person from that horrible period of his life. He is living in an old people's home, none of his family talk to him anymore and he has no friends. The atmosphere of the film at that point is chilling because the film itself changes from being so full of life, really colourful, fast paced and purposefully drops down to this darker, quieter, emptier feeling which mirrors the change in the character himself.

Its astonishing how the mood of the film affects your own emotions as well because you've seen so much of this guy's life and you've grown to care for him so when you see him at the end as just a shell of his former self it really upsets you, at least it did me. I had a tear in my eye when it ended.

(SPOILER ALERT --------->)

The last scenes of the film sees De Niro's character alone in his room at an old people's home, a frail old man who you wouldn't have a clue had done all the things he'd done. He is talking to one of the carers as he looks at some old photos, one of them being of his daughter and Jimmy Hoffa who he killed. He asks the nurse if she knows who he is and she says she had never heard of him. It is such a contrast to earlier in the film when Jimmy Hoffa was one of the most famous people in America and it symbolises how empty his life is now in that its suggesting that he has left no legacy in his life, that nothing he did had any point to it and at this latter stage of his life he was just another, ordinary, boring old man in a hotel room. He is then seen with a priest in his room and the priest is reading out of his bible and I felt this was a metaphor for the priest giving him the last rights. While he's not dead its the death of his true self. 

Truly unbelievable film. I have said for decades that my favourite film is Taxi Driver but I think it has to be 'The Irishman' now. Beautiful piece of cinema.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I think its absolutely brilliant. I went to see it with my brother and when it ended I immediately turned to him and said, "I think that is Martin Scorcese's best film". I couldn't believe that 3 and half hours could pass so quickly. One of the things that makes it so fantastic is that it is a gangster film that actually explores a person's character rather than just uses the character as an instrument to tell a story.

It is about a man and how he struggles with the decisions he's made in his life, essentially exploring his regrets and how that has slowly worn away his actual person. The last hour or so really illustrates this when you see De Niro's character as an old man , the last remaining person from that horrible period of his life. He is living in an old people's home, none of his family talk to him anymore and he has no friends. The atmosphere of the film at that point is chilling because the film itself changes from being so full of life, really colourful, fast paced and purposefully drops down to this darker, quieter, emptier feeling which mirrors the change in the character himself.

Its astonishing how the mood of the film affects your own emotions as well because you've seen so much of this guy's life and you've grown to care for him so when you see him at the end as just a shell of his former self it really upsets you, at least it did me. I had a tear in my eye when it ended.

(SPOILER ALERT --------->)

The last scenes of the film sees De Niro's character alone in his room at an old people's home, a frail old man who you wouldn't have a clue had done all the things he'd done. He is talking to one of the carers as he looks at some old photos, one of them being of his daughter and Jimmy Hoffa who he killed. He asks the nurse if she knows who he is and she says she had never heard of him. It is such a contrast to earlier in the film when Jimmy Hoffa was one of the most famous people in America and it symbolises how empty his life is now in that its suggesting that he has left no legacy in his life, that nothing he did had any point to it and at this latter stage of his life he was just another, ordinary, boring old man in a hotel room. He is then seen with a priest in his room and the priest is reading out of his bible and I felt this was a metaphor for the priest giving him the last rights. While he's not dead its the death of his true self. 

Truly unbelievable film. I have said for decades that my favourite film is Taxi Driver but I think it has to be 'The Irishman' now. Beautiful piece of cinema.  

are you are mark Kermode ?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

irishman

predictable. too long, dis jointed filming, Stephen grahams accent unbearable, doesn't explain anything about why he left his wife or about his daughters attitude etc etc etc - may have been better as a mini series

4 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Nope, just someone who's spent their entire life being obsessed with cinema. ?

the empire cinema in Huddersfield?

On 24/01/2020 at 18:12, graveyard johnny said:

irishman

predictable. too long, dis jointed filming, Stephen grahams accent unbearable, doesn't explain anything about why he left his wife or about his daughters attitude etc etc etc - may have been better as a mini series

In what way was it predictable? Perfect length, time flew by, in what way is it disjointed? why are you focusing on Stephen Graham so much? He's not even a particularly massive character in it and you do realise Al Pacino and Robert De Niro gave career defining performances. Also was very surprised just how good Ray Romano was in it. He left his wife because of his changing character and how he was completely losing his human identity through being moulded into a machine used simply to do a job. His daughter stopped talking to him because she felt lied to. At home he was a loving, hard working, family man but that wasn't the real him and she came to realise this when he beat up the man at the shop. He wasn't the person she thought he was, ie, he had changed from her father to a complete stranger who she had no connection to. If it was a mini-series it first of all wouldn't have been nominated for the number of awards it has rightfully been nominated for, it wouldn't have been able to maintain the same tension week after week, it wouldn't have had as much publicity, the cinematography and design (which is incredible) would have been of much worse quality and you wouldn't have gotten the cast and crew to be involved, who are some of the most celebrated people in cinema history.

14 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

In what way was it predictable? Perfect length, time flew by, in what way is it disjointed? why are you focusing on Stephen Graham so much? He's not even a particularly massive character in it and you do realise Al Pacino and Robert De Niro gave career defining performances. Also was very surprised just how good Ray Romano was in it. He left his wife because of his changing character and how he was completely losing his human identity through being moulded into a machine used simply to do a job. His daughter stopped talking to him because she felt lied to. At home he was a loving, hard working, family man but that wasn't the real him and she came to realise this when he beat up the man at the shop. He wasn't the person she thought he was, ie, he had changed from her father to a complete stranger who she had no connection to. If it was a mini-series it first of all wouldn't have been nominated for the number of awards it has rightfully been nominated for, it wouldn't have been able to maintain the same tension week after week, it wouldn't have had as much publicity, the cinematography and design (which is incredible) would have been of much worse quality and you wouldn't have gotten the cast and crew to be involved, who are some of the most celebrated people in cinema history.

don't get me wrong,i like Robert de niro but he will never match some of the true acting  greats such as reg varney for instance

Came across an old favourite film on Netflix last week.

A Fish Called Wanda starring Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Cline, John Cleese and Michael Palin.

I found it just as funny as when it was first released in 1988, some classic Python comedy from Michael Palin, plus I’d forgotten just how, ...erm nice ?Jamie Lee Curtis was.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Moose said:

I’d forgotten just how, ...erm nice ?Jamie Lee Curtis was.

Yes fond memory.  Jamie Lee Curtis also had a part I liked in an Arnie S. film I think , Total Recall or similar?

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Came across an old favourite film on Netflix last week.

A Fish Called Wanda starring Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Cline, John Cleese and Michael Palin.

I found it just as funny as when it was first released in 1988, some classic Python comedy from Michael Palin, plus I’d forgotten just how, ...erm nice ?Jamie Lee Curtis was.

A Fish called Wanda is great fun, and possibly the last time John Cleese was actually funny.

As for Jamie Lee Curtis - Lady Haden-Guest to us proles - is very much worth watching in an otherwise-dull movie called 'Perfect'. And those of us of a certain age recall a particular scene in 'Trading Places', don't we?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Irishman is a very good film, not as good as goodfellas though. 

Over last few weeks me and the mrs have  watched some of these, usually wat h a lovie a night and these are about the best over last two weeks 

2001 space odyssey , good but not great

Quiz show, good but not brilliant 

Midnight run , fantastic

Predator still scary and still great

Irishman very good

Unforgiven amazing 

1 hour ago, johnmatrix said:

Over last few weeks me and the mrs have  watched some of these, usually wat h a lovie a night and these are about the best over last two weeks 

Midnight run , fantastic

Irishman very good

Unforgiven amazing 

People always bang on about the serious De Niro movies (many of which are great), where he does that thing with his bottom lip to denote emotion, but Midnight Run is an overlooked gem of gloriously cynical and well-played comedy joy.

It also shows that some "serious" actors can actually do comedy well... so that means he has NO excuse for Dirty Grandpa.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On Kings Road, St. Leonards, there are a number of Junk/Antique/2nd hand shops of various qualities, as I was having a wander through one of them I noticed they were selling DVD's for 50p, among the titles in one box was a DVD Celebrating the first decade of Superleague, unfortunately my Benefits are due on Tuesday, so I didn't have 50p, but I will return tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2020 at 21:37, johnmatrix said:

Midnight run , fantastic

Irishman very good

Unforgiven amazing 

Which Unforgiven are you talking about John, Clint Eastwood's or the Japanese version?

Edited by dunno much

On 22/01/2020 at 21:38, Charlie RL said:

Watched Dunkirk on Prime and was impressed.  Star Wars at cinema over xmas was ok but not really memorable or outstanding.  

1917 gets rave reviews.  Anybody watched that?  Family ticket at my local Savoy is £38 so I would like some reassurance before shelling out.

I am just back from 1917, and saw it with the wife.

The loud obnoxious person, who is always at the cinema, was there today. She squaked and should through the ads and trailers, but that film kept her quiet.

It is good.

• Thanks 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014