Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

On 05/02/2020 at 23:45, Bob8 said:

I am just back from 1917, and saw it with the wife.

The loud obnoxious person, who is always at the cinema, was there today. She squaked and should through the ads and trailers, but that film kept her quiet.

It is good.

I have read a few crititicism of this film.

I watched it at an adventure film in which the men cannot cope with the 'adventure'.

It does look like a computer game at times, because we tend to see that perspective and extended shot in computer games, not a reason to never use it in film.

And, there are anchronisms and unrealistic bits, because it is a story. Good forbid those people who criticise 1917 ever see Star Trek.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

19 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Has anyone seen the film that won a bagful of Oscars this week?

I've read the synopsis and it doesn't grab me, if I'm honest. 

If you mean Parasite? I have and i liked it. Then again i like watching Korean movies with subtitles. Especially ones with Kang Ho Song in.

Edited by jacksy

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

3 minutes ago, jacksy said:

If you mean Parasite? I have and i liked it. Then again i like watching Korean movies with subtitles.

Yes, that one.

Is it really a better film than all the others on the shortlist? Subjective question, I know, but what is it that makes it special (other than being Korean with subtitles) ?

The last film I went to see specifically because it had won the Best Picture Oscar was The Shape of Water, and I left the cinema at the end wishing I hadn't bothered, so I'm not in a rush to repeat the experience.

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Yes, that one.

Is it really a better film than all the others on the shortlist? Subjective question, I know, but what is it that makes it special (other than being Korean with subtitles) ?

The last film I went to see specifically because it had won the Best Picture Oscar was The Shape of Water, and I left the cinema at the end wishing I hadn't bothered, so I'm not in a rush to repeat the experience.

Well i have watched the Irishman, 1917, Once upon in Hollywood, Joker and Rabbit and liked them all.

I honestly cannot say if it was better or worse than those above. I am no movie critic/connoisseur you see.

I would recommend you watch it and make your own mind up..

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

On 08/02/2020 at 20:00, Bleep1673 said:

I bought Mrs Lowry & Son... to be watched tomorrow with my 11 yo while cowering from storm Ciara

Saw it last Sunday, while cowering from Dennis, it was interesting. It had some good moments, I have seen a few of his paintings in Salford Art Gallery, when I still lived there, I have been to The Lowry, on the Quays too, most of his work inspires, rather than then film suggests. My Gran used to have her rent collected by Mr. Lowry apparently. She lived in the same house on Zachariah St for 80 years, she was born there and her husband moved in when they married. It was the only way I traced my Uncle Tom who died in WWI at Passchendale, in 1917, and on the CWGC website there are loads of Tom Pearson's but only one that says "Son of James and Mary-Jane Pearson, 12 Zachariah St., Salford". He was 18. I am the only member of my family to visit the graveyard in Belgium.

Sorry, off subject, and waffling again.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched 'Blinded by the light' last night.  Good film, doesn't move far away from a trusted formula, but it's nicely done, good tunes and moves along quite well..  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Watched 'Blinded by the light' last night.  Good film, doesn't move far away from a trusted formula, but it's nicely done, good tunes and moves along quite well..  

Just about to write the same thing. Nothing outstanding but I thoroughly enjoyed it. ?

• Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 08/02/2020 at 20:00, Bleep1673 said:

I bought Mrs Lowry & Son... to be watched tomorrow with my 11 yo while cowering from storm Ciara

Cracking film.

And thanks to whoever it was that suggested Inside Llewin Davis really enjoyed it.

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I watched Godzilla vs Megalon (1973).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 hour party people

(free on prime)

• Thanks 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

image.png.bbc5ec5d312930d2999427d042729791.png On Amazon prime under Fallen From the Sky as the Title.

And it is in French without subtitles ! So probably one for Francophiles but not Brexiters.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Classic bank holiday fare with Raiders of the lost Ark this evening.  It's such a good film, just cracks along nicely.  

I mean we have to ignore Indiana Jones getting a bit Yewtree with Marion....

• Like 2