Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

6 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Classic bank holiday fare with Raiders of the lost Ark this evening.  It's such a good film, just cracks along nicely.  

I mean we have to ignore Indiana Jones getting a bit Yewtree with Marion....

And the glaring plot hole 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

'Local Hero' was on Film4 earlier today. An antidote to just about anything toxic, tiring or otherwise depressing in the world.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watched Spiderman Far from Home last night on Sky. Didn't much enjoy the previous incarnations, but this one with a somewhat younger than usual Peter Parker was good fun. I prefer the Marvel films when they have a bit of humour to them and aren't too far up their own backside. Thought Jake Gyllenhaal was good in it.

I really enjoyed the sci fi Sunday on horror channel (freeview 70) ?

The alien monster in 20 Million Miles from Earth  ?was probably a precursor to the various Sinbad films? 

Earth v the Flying Saucers was good fun. :kolobok_clapping:

The Claw was a shocker.  It motivated me to read up on Plan 9 from Outer Space.  ?  Is Plan 9 still a cult classic?

53 minutes ago, Charlie RL said:

I really enjoyed the sci fi Sunday on horror channel (freeview 70) ?

The alien monster in 20 Million Miles from Earth  ?was probably a precursor to the various Sinbad films? 

Earth v the Flying Saucers was good fun. :kolobok_clapping:

The Claw was a shocker.  It motivated me to read up on Plan 9 from Outer Space.  ?  Is Plan 9 still a cult classic?

Plan 9 from Outer Space is still a cult classic. It used to be called the worst movie ever made, but then the internet came along, and we discovered so many more worthy contenders from the past. But Plan 9 is still a joy, just for the all-around blend of enthusiasm and incompetence.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Today, I watched 'Nine Deaths of the Ninja' and am currently watching 'Where Eagles dare'. It has been a good day.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

One that i missed 40 years ago,  National Lampoon's Animal House. with a young kevin bacon,john belushi.tom hulce.and donald sutherland,

some great 50s cars, and one hell of a party.    fury next on list for morning.

Freaked (1993)
Randy Quaid (wait, come back! he's good in this!) plays the owner of a freak show. Alex Winter (Bill & Ted) plays a washed out actor looking for a quick buck.

Alex's character is offered serious money to be the face of a toxic chemical that is banned in the USA and Europe. He's desperate, so he agrees.

On a PR tour, he meets Julie, an environmental campaigner and, despite their differences, they end up in the same car with Alex's dopey friend. Spotting the freak show, they go to have a look, and Quaid captures them.

He uses (surprise!) the toxic chemical to turn Julie and idiot pal into a conjoined body. Alex is turned into Beast Boy. They meet the other freaks, including Mr T as the bearded lady, Bobcat Goldthwaite as sock-head and an uncredited Keanu Reeves as the dog-boy. Together they plot escape and revenge. All the time, they are aided and annoyed in equal amounts by an obsessive little fan-kid.

This has the same manic and chaotic energy as 'Nothing but Trouble', but a more coherent plot. Some of the effects are silly, squishy, gross and imaginative, and Brooke Shields puts in a good turn as the movie's book-ending chat show host.

I wasn't surprised to see the Chiodo brothers credited as part of the production, as some of the humour and visual style is reminiscent of the excellent 'Killer Klowns from Outer Space'.

Definitely worth a watch, if you can track down a copy.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not everyones cup a tea i suppose, but, Brassed Off were brill, proper filming and when you think 140 pits closed and over a 250.000 jobs went its a very powerfull and emotional film.?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, silverback said:

Not everyones cup a tea i suppose, but, Brassed Off were brill, proper filming and when you think 140 pits closed and over a 250.000 jobs went its a very powerfull and emotional film.?

Gets a little mawkish at times, but also hits hard at others. Great cast.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

55 minutes ago, silverback said:

Not everyones cup a tea i suppose, but, Brassed Off were brill, proper filming and when you think 140 pits closed and over a 250.000 jobs went its a very powerfull and emotional film.

One of my favourite ever films! Pete Postlethwaite was/is a remarkable actor. Just compare Obidiah Hakeswill with his performance as "Danny" in "Brassed Off"! Also helps that I'm rather partial to brass band tunes!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

One of my favourite ever films! Pete Postlethwaite was/is a remarkable actor. Just compare Obidiah Hakeswill with his performance as "Danny" in "Brassed Off"! Also helps that I'm rather partial to brass band tunes!!

Always reminds me of the bands we had up park in westown,then they would all march to center of dewsbury when i were a nipper.The sounds just take me back to 1965.got to admit to been very fond of bag pipes too.?

7 hours ago, silverback said:

Always reminds me of the bands we had up park in westown,then they would all march to center of dewsbury when i were a nipper.The sounds just take me back to 1965.got to admit to been very fond of bag pipes too.

Used to be Whit Monday for me at my Grans. All the local churches had their own bands and each one would march through the village. This was in Gollcar and I loved it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Used to be Whit Monday for me at my Grans. All the local churches had their own bands and each one would march through the village. This was in Gollcar and I loved it!

I was doing a bit of reminisking viewing and the Whit Walks were shown on a nostalgia thing on Youtube.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political