Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

Got to recommend Sleepers.its a 3 hour job but well worth it,10 outa 10 from me.

After a prank goes disastrously wrong, a group of boys are sent to a detention center where they are brutalized. Thirteen years later, an unexpected random encounter with a former guard gives them a chance for revenge.

Stars:

Robert De Niro, Kevin Bacon, Brad Pitt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

12 hours ago, Oxford said:

Woody Allen: Manhattan (1979) | I Found it at the Movies

A superb photograph from one of my favourite films. On a business trip to Houston in 1981, I ‘engineered’ a weekend stop-over in New York (“a city where sex is as intimate as a handshake - and a gateway to true love” - from the “Manhattan” film’s blurb, alas, not my experience!).  However, just 2 years after the film,  I explored the city, largely (and bravely in certain areas) by foot and to this view.  A missing ingredient was the Gershwin film score, but that was firmly in my head.

Many of Woody Allen’s films are currently showing free for subscribers to Amazon Prime and Netflix, including (Prime) Barbara Kopple’s 1997 documentary “Wild man blues” covering his ‘96 New Orleans Jazz Band’s tour of Europe.

Finally got round to watching Joker the other night. Had been looking forward to it for a long time. 

Nicely made, but jeez it was boring. Really basic execution of hard hitting themes and from everything I'd read I was expecting it to be done well. It wasn't. 

Now I've watched it and gone back and read about it, I see it was slated in a lot of places and it seems to benefit from the comicbook fan base boosting it to 8.5 on imdb. 

26 minutes ago, glemiln said:

A superb photograph from one of my favourite films. On a business trip to Houston in 1981, I ‘engineered’ a weekend stop-over in New York (“a city where sex is as intimate as a handshake - and a gateway to true love” - from the “Manhattan” film’s blurb, alas, not my experience!).  However, just 2 years after the film,  I explored the city, largely (and bravely in certain areas) by foot and to this view.  A missing ingredient was the Gershwin film score, but that was firmly in my head.

Many of Woody Allen’s films are currently showing free for subscribers to Amazon Prime and Netflix, including (Prime) Barbara Kopple’s 1997 documentary “Wild man blues” covering his ‘96 New Orleans Jazz Band’s tour of Europe.

1/10 so far can you get them all. I made some more difficult than others.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

43 minutes ago, Oxford said:

1/10 so far can you get them all. I made some more difficult than others.

I believe only:  2) Poor Cow  3) Zulu  4) Manhattan  6) Un Homme et une Femme  8?This Sporting Life  9) Arsenic and Old Lace

10) is particularly annoying my grey cells!

Edited by glemiln

Just now, glemiln said:

I believe only:  2) Poor Cow  3) Zulu  4) Manhattan  6) Un Homme et une Femme  ?This Sporting Life  9) Arsenic and Old Lace

10) is particularly annoying my grey cells! It would do, foreign one

Well done 5/10!

I'm well impressed.

30 minutes ago, glemiln said:

I believe only:  2) Poor Cow  3) Zulu  4) Manhattan  6) Un Homme et une Femme  8?This Sporting Life  9) Arsenic and Old Lace

10) is particularly annoying my grey cells!

No.10 is Jules et Jim.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

No.10 is Jules et Jim.

Are you going for all ten or just this one?

Edited by Oxford

2 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

3 isn't Zulu surely but rather The Man who would be King 

13 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Are you going for all ten or just this one?

?

Edited by Oxford

3 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

No that would only be if I had said I had sent the other 9 correct answers in by post 

You did and they were nearly all wrong. Try using a stamp next time.

THE DROP.  Tom hardy is brill in this one, 8 outa 10.

A bartender who works under his cousin for a crime syndicate gets involved in a robbery that brings most of the people he knows under the scanner.

14 minutes ago, silverback said:

THE DROP.  Tom hardy is brill in this one, 8 outa 10.

A bartender who works under his cousin for a crime syndicate gets involved in a robbery that brings most of the people he knows under the scanner.

Watched it a few months ago, an excellent performance from Tom Hardy, he reminded me a bit of Marlon Brando.

Edited by Moose
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Moose said:

Watched it a few months ago, an excellent performance from Tom Hardy, he reminded me a bit of Marlon Brando.

on todays list> This is one a best of tom all day long, LAWLESS. Guy pearce makes it too.

24 minutes ago, Moose said:

Thanks for the tip silverback, is it on Netflix?

Yep.

Useful movie-streaming search engine here: https://www.justwatch.com/uk 

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson