Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

8 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

What is the criteria for a supporting actor?

Whose agent has the most money?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm watching the 2019 film The Lighthouse. Shot in B&W and a 4:3 aspect ratio, this could come across as a little precious, but it works. Willem Dafoe is barely recognisable under the facial hair but entertainingly deranged, while Robert Pattinson shows he has come a long way since playing a sparkly non-threatening teen vampire in the Twilight kiddie-flicks.

Almost entirely a 2-character drama, it has some of the claustrophobia of Das Boot, but with its own dark and desperate humour. Very much recommended.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I'm watching the 2019 film The Lighthouse. Shot in B&W and a 4:3 aspect ratio, this could come across as a little precious, but it works. Willem Dafoe is barely recognisable under the facial hair but entertainingly deranged, while Robert Pattinson shows he has come a long way since playing a sparkly non-threatening teen vampire in the Twilight kiddie-flicks.

Almost entirely a 2-character drama, it has some of the claustrophobia of Das Boot, but with its own dark and desperate humour. Very much recommended.

It plays out very much like an Ingmar Bergman film. Two people and their supposed inner demons. Very good film.

22 hours ago, Red Willow said:

What is the criteria for a supporting actor? Watch once upon a time in Hollywood last night and Brad Pitt seemed to have considerable time on screen.

The line can sometimes be blurred. In some films it's clear - Jude Dench won an Oscar for 8 minutes of screentime in Shakespeare In Love.

I suspect they targeted supporting actor as an easier win than going up against Joaquin Phoenix as Joker in the lead role category that he nailed on from the start to win.

Captain Fantastic - gave it a go the other night.  I enjoyed it, not as funny as expected but I did like it.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Watched an Australian comedy on Sky last night called Extra Time. It was filmed in Wagga Wagga, but the sport involved was Aussie Rules rather than rugby league. Despite that and a rather obvious ending, it was charming and funny (although some of the ocker accents were pretty hard to follow at times)

Unfortunately watched Moonlight for the first time the other night , thought i would have learnt by now not to watch over hyped films . Threadbare story , very slow , no empathy with any of the characters so watched Mud again last night to put me in a better mood .

If you can get Talking Pictures TV, they are showing The Masque of the Red Death tonight at 10pm. Roger Corman's adaptation of the Edgar Allan Poe story, starring Vincent Price and Jane Asher.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

We watched "Never Surrender" last night, it's a documentary about the making of the best Star Trek film never made, Galaxy Quest

It's Great.

Edited by Shadow

Anyone trawled through 4 Seasons of MrRobot (2015/19), now on Amazon Prime?
Reviewers on Imdb seem ecstatic, with many 10/10, but I will defer to this forum’s ‘experience’!

Edited by glemiln
Wrong film title!

Bill Evans - Times Remembered
on Amazon Prime

http://www.billevanstimeremembered.com/

A brilliant 90min documentary by Bruce Spiegel on the genius composer and pianist.  Unique in style, crouching over and massaging the keys sublimely and emotionally, he recorded over 50 albums, including as a side man with the likes of Tony Scott and Miles Davies (“Kind of Blue”) or with his own trios.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Evans_discography
Sadly, died in 1980, aged 51 from pneumonia, following years of cocaine and heroin............enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Saw Some Like it Hot last night, I laughed loud. Great film.

That is a wonderful film.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

That is a wonderful film.

Curtis ripping Grant is brilliant.

• Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.