Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

A minor Studio Ghibli anime, but an entertaining one, The Cat returns. The curmudgeonly, greedy and destructive Muta aka Renaldo Moon is one of my favourite Ghibli characters.

muta-2248.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The reviews for Bill and Ted seem to be positive so far!

(I just read the headlines rather than the actual review...)

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Just rewatched The Battle of Britain (1969)

I still think there’s strong performances from Robert Shaw and Christopher Plummer in this and it doesn’t fall into the trap of many WW2 films around it’s time of being jingoistic.  I believe it’s a good stab at the history and conveying the conflict from both sides’ perspectives.

The actual real flying sequences are nothing short of spectacular and capture an element of realism that CGI seems to fail on when these kind of air battles are overly ‘busy’ when simulated.

Can’t do a review without mentioning the amazing sound track both effects and musical score which elevate the action a lot.

9/10

33 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Just rewatched The Battle of Britain (1969)

I still think there’s strong performances from Robert Shaw and Christopher Plummer in this and it doesn’t fall into the trap of many WW2 films around it’s time of being jingoistic.  I believe it’s a good stab at the history and conveying the conflict from both sides’ perspectives.

The actual real flying sequences are nothing short of spectacular and capture an element of realism that CGI seems to fail on when these kind of air battles are overly ‘busy’ when simulated.

Can’t do a review without mentioning the amazing sound track both effects and musical score which elevate the action a lot.

9/10

I love a war film . Battle of the Bulge and A Bridge To Far have entertained me again recently 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yeah, rotten tomatoes have it at 80% approval which for a modern day Hollywood comedy is a really decent score. I didn't even realise there was another Bill and Ted coming out until you just mentioned it. 

• Like 1

I watched Joker on Sky Cinema recently.

I'd avoided it on cinema release as it looked a bit too dark for my taste.

Having seen it now, I can understand why Joaquin Phoenix won so many accolades for his performance.

• Like 3

A rewatch here and well worth it too,some a the best from al.a film that a bit of everything.

Stand Up Guys is a 2012 American crime comedy film directed by Fisher Stevens and starring Al Pacino, Christopher Walken, and Alan Arkin. The film was released in North America on February 1, 2013. "Stand up guy" is an American phrase meaning a loyal and reliable friend.

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The general view is that it is fun. I am am pretty relieved.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just for a throwback treat, here's some of Alex and Keanu's audition footage for Bill & Ted.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 15/08/2020 at 07:22, Gerrumonside ref said:

Midway (2019)

Accurate depiction of a key naval air battle during WW2 in the Pacific that turned the balance of power decisively against the Japanese.

Good use of CGI, the perspective of both sides shown and it moves along at a fair pace.  It’s not littered with amazing performances but it does the job.

Thankfully the writers decided against the ridiculous characterisations and subplots which plagued the awful Pearl Harbour film which was the previous modern take on the subject.

7.5/10

I gave it a go last night.  Not as bad as I first feared. 

The action scenes were a bit over the top, and they glossed over the number of balls ups by both sides that could have changed the war.  

A solid 6 or 7 out of 10.

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

Escape to Witch Mountain on Thursday.

Return from Witch Mountain on Friday.

At least they got them the right way round.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Which mountain ?

Not the best-selling consumer affairs magazine ever.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Knives Out - an enjoyable (slightly overlong?) whodunit that ticked all the boxes.  8/10

• Like 3

picked a film out on netflix on sat to watch- annabelle - a suppposed horror film about an evil doll- basic storyline- american woman keeps perfect hair and make up throughout,walks around slowly trying to build some tension - about as scary as ghostbusters - like one of those channel5 afternoon movies with a few extra thousand spent on it- why do they bother?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

picked a film out on netflix on sat to watch- annabelle - a suppposed horror film about an evil doll- basic storyline- american woman keeps perfect hair and make up throughout,walks around slowly trying to build some tension - about as scary as ghostbusters - like one of those channel5 afternoon movies with a few extra thousand spent on it- why do they bother?

Usually because something almost exactly like it made a decent return on investment recently, so several almost-copies get knocked out by companies with no imagination or courage.

Nothing new in this; cash-ins and knock-offs have been the steady background noise of the movie industry for decades. Just occasionally, one turns out to be either quite good in its own right, or so catastrophically bad that it is enjoyable for all the wrong reasons.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gravity,  not bad at all,      its a 2013 science fiction thriller film directed by Alfonso Cuarón, who also co-wrote, co-edited and produced the film. It stars Sandra Bullock and George clooney.